E-Readers

517Houston

|KKK| Gaming Legend
|K3| Member
What do you have? If you don't have one are you getting one? If not why?

I have a Kindle Touch.. I love it. Lots of free stuff thru Amazon and I signed up on a group thru Facebook that offers a ton a free books a day. Saving a whole bunch of money on books...

It's also easy to use and there are apps available for Iphones and Pads and my laptop so if I forget to bring it to work I can still read

Ethan

Captain
Former Krew Member
I personally like sitting down with a physical book.

Nothing like it...not even using technology.
I've heard Kindles are good though.

Kessa

|KKK|'s Sheep Herder
Former Krew Member
my dad bought me a Literati a few years ago..... its still in the box

i prefer real books over virtual ones :D

TheDude

Dudesicle
|K3| Member
Yea, I love real books.

However, if there are tons of free books, I wouldn't mind getting one of these new-fangled things.

I know that reading on the computer hurts my eyes, though. And when I read.... I READ! Like I will sit down and read for 4 hours or more straight. (I have and addictive personality)

So Idk if I could handle an E-Reader. If you know a good one to get or any deals, let me know. My family might enjoy one.

PaigeBoo

|KKK|s wise lesbian
Former Krew Member
I have just a regular kindle and I love it. I can read on it for hours and for me it's easier because of my eye sight. And I read faster on it.

How do you get the free books bob, an are they any good?

AVC

Banned
LOL Bob, us old guys are using eReaders, and the youngins are calling them new fangled and "I'd rather carry around a heavy lump of paper".

I have a Kobo. Mind you the other week, it died in the ass. Maybe coz I had it plugged in during a storm and it got spiked.

In any case, I contacted Kobo direct as I bought it at Borders and their stores in Australia closed down. Has the send the fooker to Canada. CANADA!!!

Lucky my pilot friend flies into LAX. So he sent it from there a week ago. Should hear something soon.

But I'll prolly buy a new one anyway. I've dumped a massive amount of paper books. I think the eReaders are only any use for novels though, obviously.

TheDude

Dudesicle
|K3| Member
Borders is closing in full, I think. Barnes and Nobles is what's left (big book store chain-wise).

Just sayin'

MasterCLiP

Resident Brony
Former Krew Member
I use iBooks and read books and fan-Fics on my iPhone. It's pretty nice but since we can't use electronics in school I have to still use actual books.

As for downloading you can probably find a PDF version of the book you want to read on a torrent site or something. I'm not sure how to get PDFs on a Kindle but with iTunes you just drag it to the books section then sync ;)

I also like listening to audiobooks, they're great for getting through those class assigned books that you don't want to read :D

TheDude

Dudesicle
|K3| Member
Someitmes, audio books can be helpful, especially for archaic language... such as Shakespeare.

A lot of shakespeare is analyzed in school... and it's fucing pointless. Most of the meaning of the plays were conveyed throguh the blocking, acting, and READING of the play itself. It's simply stupid to just analyze the literature by itself, but we do it anyway. I hated it. I even wrote my papers on it on WHY this is fucing stupid (got A's every time)..... and believe me, despite my A's, my teachers were pissed at me.

I agree mang, audio books are the shit. It's not like they are for kiddies. They are for the intellectual, as well.

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive
Never used an e-reader before. I like a physical book most of the time, but reading 800-900 page paperbacks or paperbacks that have tiny print can be a pain. Having an e-reader would also be nice since i can download tons of books from Warez-bb. Not sure if I'd like reading on one though.

AVC

Banned
I find ereaders easier to read on.

1- They're lighter
2- No holding pages open
3- Adjustable text size (FTW)
4- Electronic bookmarking
5- Adjustable fonts
6- E-ink appears like paper
7- Easy on the eyes, no backlight

517Houston

|KKK| Gaming Legend
|K3| Member
Paige I'll send you a link thru Facebook

I too resisted E-Readers because I liked the feel of a real book but then I got one and love it.

Chris I recommend the Kindle touch.. Easy to use and cheaper then the Fire

---------- Post added at 11:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:36 AM ----------

http://ereadernewstoday.com/

TheDude

Dudesicle
|K3| Member
I also like snacking and such while I read.

I'll check it out. E-Bookmarks ftw! I never mark my page and spend like 5 minutes every night trying to find the page I left off on.

BriAn79

Second Lieutenant
Former Krew Member
My parents have a Kindle and they're pretty neat. Like Andy said, no backlight or anything like that. Pretty easy to read from what I've seen.. I haven't use it much at all. The times I have though, I liked it!

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive
Revive!

Since I've had my tablet, reading on it is great. I use the Kindle app. I can download tons of books for free or very cheap from Amazon..... and other places. I have a little over 50 on it atm. I do try and buy books whenever i can. It has a built in dictionary which is awesome. Obviously storing all your books in once place is great too. Highlighting phrases, characters etc is also nice as it can look up each instance and you can go back and see a reference instead of flipping through 500 pages.

I also like not needing a light to read at night. I thought the screen would strain my eyes but i don't even notice it with a sepia background. All in all I'm very happy with reading on my tablet.

MasterCLiP

Resident Brony
Former Krew Member
E-readers are the shizz. The only reason I dont carry around a tablet is because electronics are prohibited at my school.

Top Bottom