Terrorists using COD as training (allegedly)

animal66

Second Lieutenant
Member of the Year
|K3|Super-Moderator
From the sun newspaper in the uk

TERRORISTS are using online war games like Call of Duty to plot attacks, The Sun can reveal.

Islamic extremists know cops monitor phone calls, emails and online messages.

So they are turning to PlayStation and Xbox games to keep their deadly plans secret.

Gamers can log on in groups to play against each other and — crucially — to chat in private.

Once signed in to a "lobby" using a password, plotters put on Bluetooth headsets and speak securely to conspirators on the same site.

Other shoot-'em-up games suspected of being targeted by terrorists are thought to be Medal of Honour and the Halo series.

Last night, a source said: "It's a terrifying reality. These people waste no time finding a secure method of chatting.

"They are logging into group games over the internet and discussing terror plots. Security people know about it.

"For millions who love these games this will be a huge shock.

"To think fanatics use them for their own ends is a real worry." Sources say plotters choose realistic conflict games so they can mask their deadly discussions as harmless web chat.

There has even been evidence would-be jihadists treat war games as training tools, a bit like a pilot might use a flight simulator.

News of the growing threat comes five years after the CIA first warned of the menace.

But with the soaring popularity of the games, there are now fears they are being used by increasing numbers of criminals and terrorists.

Last night government sources said police and spy chiefs were already responding to the threat.

A security expert revealed: "Those who fight crime and terrorism keep up to date with technological changes."

The terrorists choose incredibly realistic "first person games" where the controller works through a complex simulation of war scenarios, carrying out missions and battling enemy fighters.

Gamers choose different styles of play and missions — from planting bombs to fighting one-on-one.

Then they enter the lobby and invite their friends to join in.

Call of Duty addicts can even join "clans" — groups who regularly play together.

The games use a password-protected log-on to keep users' identities secret. The system was designed so players anywhere on the globe can get together for harmless fantasy battles.

But security chiefs now fear plotters are set to turn those fantasies into reality

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive
They have mastered the training level of , hide in building, get blown to bits by laser guided missile.

Maybe it's just me, but i don't think playing COD would train anyone for war lol.

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive
I read the ENTIRE thread, it seems you did not.

There has even been evidence would-be jihadists treat war games as training tools, a bit like a pilot might use a flight simulator

The terrorists choose incredibly realistic "first person games" where the controller works through a complex simulation of war scenarios, carrying out missions and battling enemy fighters

animal66

Second Lieutenant
Member of the Year
|K3|Super-Moderator
I've got to agree with damage that i wouldn't personally use COD as a training tool. When you think they also play games such as halo, it almost decsends into farce

HIBred

Foolish Mortal
|K3| Executive
Hrmmm ,I discovered unknown entities using my vent server a few weeks back,sounded arabic,so I installed a password and they continued to try and gain access for a while...Terrorist plot DENIED!

Kessa

|KKK|'s Sheep Herder
Former Krew Member
Call of Duty addicts can even join "clans" — groups who regularly play together

wtf? im not an addict :what:

Sargass

|KKK| Sargasaurus
|K3|Super-Moderator
Using COD as training tool...dumb idea? not so much...

Few years ago, US army used to use some simulator based on the "doom engine"...to learn TACTICS, and how to work together...of course you'll never shoot better if u only practice on COD, but you can learn to play as a team with strategic reflex, etc... (source: documentary on how computers can help in wars)

While French riot, two or three years ago, police got some problem with young "gang members" who used to play together on FPS and shooting game, using tactical move and assault against police forces. (Principally SOCOM, COD, BF) Police wasn't prepared to encounter an opposition like that.

You can easily mod a building or a street, and after few weeks of practice you'll know the architecture of the place pretty well...so not a dumb info imo

Ethan

Captain
Former Krew Member
It cannot be an efficient way of training people...because in life, there are no respawns!

Which many terrorist groups don't care.

AVC

Banned
They DO respawn. You kill one and another just come up to take his place.

Good point about the buildings though. Useful tool to get familiar with a building or area.

Sargass

|KKK| Sargasaurus
|K3|Super-Moderator
Remember old rainbow six?...the fkin airplane mission?...based on real fact. It took me 34 tries to save the hostages cause if you got one hostage killed you loose. I swear that i know this plane as my pocket now.

RaZeR

Sergeant
They have mastered the training level of , hide in building, get blown to bits by laser guided missile.

Maybe it's just me, but i don't think playing COD would train anyone for war lol.

i agree with damage on this one. It's not much of a training tool especially if you think of how many times you die in the game... it could possibly de-moralise the terrorists by watching how little chances they have of surviving.

---------- Post added at 02:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:00 PM ----------

Great now the government will ban videogames -_-

I doubt the government will ever be able to pass a law that bans CoD, BF, Halo ect. There are just too many people playing it. It would turn into something like drugs, people would play it anyway.

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive
Using simulators that have loaded real life scenarios with detailed layouts of real areas is a lot different than playing crossfire TDM for training purposes. The US military simulators are a wee bit different than playing COD.

Sargass

|KKK| Sargasaurus
|K3|Super-Moderator
Like most of sleeping cells recruits chimist, progammers, analyst, architect, etc...no fear to have then, these guys can't read plans and programs something on their computers ;)

...it could possibly de-moralise the terrorists by watching how little chances they have of surviving.

:lmao:

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive
I wasn't saying it isnt possible to program in real data etc or get effective use from simulators, my point was playing COD itself doesn't seem like a very good way to train for war etc.

Sargass

|KKK| Sargasaurus
|K3|Super-Moderator
Oh! yeah, totally agree!...

We should send Tito and Soulg to extremist group who plays on COD to get them Really demoralised!

Top Bottom