Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 makes $1 billion--in 16 days

517Houston

|KKK| Gaming Legend
|K3| Member
mw3-image-2011-001_610x341.jpg

Modern Warfare 3 is a cash cow for Activision. (Credit: Activision)

The good news just keeps coming for Activison's Call of Duty franchise. The game developer announced today that Modern Warfare 3 generated $1 billion in worldwide sales in its first 16 days on store shelves. By comparison, the 2009 blockbuster film "Avatar" reached the $1 billion milestone 17 days after it opened. Modern Warfare 3, which launched last month, has become the third Call of Duty game in as many years to reach $1 billion in total sales. However, Modern Warfare 2, which launched in 2009, took two months to hit $1 billion in worldwide revenue. Last year's Call of Duty: Black Ops needed 60 days to reach the milestone. "Call of Duty is now amongst that rarified group of sustained franchises like 'Star Wars,' 'Harry Potter,' 'Lord of the Rings' and the National Football League that attract or engage tens of millions of people every year or every new release," Activision wrote in a statement today announcing Modern Warfare 3 sales.

Modern Warfare 3's success continues to defy critics who say that the time has come for the franchise to try out some fresh ideas, rather than stick to the typical run-and-gun experience that made it so popular initially. "This is an exciting and rewarding game, but the series' signature thrills have lost some of their luster," Chris Watters, a reviewer at CNET sister site GameSpot wrote in his evaluation of the game.

However, he couldn't deny the game's ability to deliver some of the more entertaining moments in gaming this year. "Modern Warfare 3 iterates rather than innovates, so the fun you have is familiar," he wrote. "Fortunately, it's also utterly engrossing and immensely satisfying, giving fans another reason to rejoice in this busy shooter season." Modern Warfare 3's latest sales feat comes just a month after Activision announced that Modern Warfare 3 made $400 million in its first 24 hours of availability. Launch day unit sales in the U.S. and U.K. hit a combined 6.5 million units.

BriAn79

Second Lieutenant
Former Krew Member
Wow only 16 days?! :eek: Man people really wanted this game. I'm still waiting to see how others like it. Does anyone know if it's got dedicated servers yet? I'm probably behind on this so just :bitchslap: me now..

Sargass

|KKK| Sargasaurus
|K3|Super-Moderator
yeah dedicated server are not ranked...thats lame, and some could say its a MW2.5...but like i didn't played MW2 or BO i found it pretty fun. Some maps are fun to play, other are boring as hell (Dome, Carbon,...) Theres too much achievement IMO and for now, i rarely go over 6 kills streak, ok kill confirmed in Hardcore with friendly fire dont help but its still better than softcore mode...Streak reward are overpowered too. Heli+Drone+Osprey+turrets+shooting enemies it sometimes look like BC with 35 spawncampers ;)

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive
MP sucks , IMO. Spec ops is good. I would guess most of the sales came from PS3/Xbox. As long as the masses continue to buy these games, they have no incentive to do anything different or strive to put out a better product.

Last edited:

BluBirD78

Master of BluballZ
|K3| Member
MP sucks , IMO. Spec ops is good. I would guess most of the sales came from PS3/Xbox. As long as the masses continue to buy these games, they have no incentive to do anything different or strive to put out a better product.

I completely agree with this, which is why I'm pretty sure I won't be getting it. Hell I didn't get MW2, BO or this one so I doubt MW3 will be a buy for me either.

RikuX2

Second Lieutenant
Definitely not surprised. it's so mainstream it's rediculous. people just buy it...for no fucking reason!

517Houston

|KKK| Gaming Legend
|K3| Member
I have all COD titles available for PC and I love playing all parts of this game.. It's alot of fun and I like the new maps, etc. The only thing I feel is lacking is that there are no dedicated, ranked servers and it sucks we can't get one. Why not go after an unranked one for now?

RikuX2

Second Lieutenant
It just annoys me that there is no innovation in the past few iterations in the series and it still sells bucket loads....

Top Bottom