Virus and Infections

DxnK

Private First Class
k i just nao got off the phone with itok support from there office or w.e they scanned my pc and did a quick diagnostic and they said that my issue with my pc on the freezing and the game crashing can be bc of me having a virus and infections. well for 1 idk how i got a virus or infections and 2 im asking ev1 if they know a really good FREE (no money) pc scanner due to me not having one. any help ladies and gents?

PwnSauce

Banned
once a computer is infected it should no longer be trusted.

The best route is to back up your key files, scan them for viruses and export off the PC.
Then do a complete operating system reinstallation.

Otherwise you're running the risk of the virus staying there undetected.

Most computers in the last 10 years come with either a Backup/Restore CD or a restore partition.
You would boot to the recovery disk or restore partition and run the reinstallation to restore to how you got it.

Then run system update, install a real anti-virus scanner and good firewall.

:pwn:

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
k i just nao got off the phone with itok support from there office or w.e they scanned my pc and did a quick diagnostic and they said that my issue with my pc on the freezing and the game crashing can be bc of me having a virus and infections. well for 1 idk how i got a virus or infections and 2 im asking ev1 if they know a really good FREE (no money) pc scanner due to me not having one. any help ladies and gents?

Run the following programs:

MalwareBytes
Spybot: Search & Destroy

I'm not sure how extensive your virus/spyware is but if it's anything like the ones I deal with where I have to go into safe-mode and try other various tricks, then I wish you good luck.

Either way, if you are still able to run programs, you should be able to download, install and run them and they'll do the work for you. If you're not able to run those programs, it's best if you save what you can and start fresh.

Lastly, run those programs (full scans) and run them as many times as needed until you get at the very minimum 2 full-scans that show 0 infections.

I have another program at work that I use but I don't use it often so I don't know the name off the top of my head.

oh, and if you're getting any the pop-up viruses that tell you to buy their anti-spyware, obviously don't buy it but get a screenshot and post it here. Or at least tell us the name of it.

TheDude

Dudesicle
|K3| Member
Dude, if they can't figure out what's wrong with it, they are just gonna say "virus and infections"

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive
I agree with The Dude. Tech support telling you you have a virus or infection to me is like a standard party line response. They probably have checklists or cards with "potential" causes of issues they rattle off to you when they don't have a clue of what the issue is or how to fix it. I would doubt a virus is causing your GPU drivers to crash.

MacMillan

Private First Class
Try to manually find the virus, usually hides in important folders, run AVG Anti-Virus 2012 free edition and MalwareBytes, do some pc scanning and look through some folders or uninstall some software that may cause the infection.

Alden

Corporal
Microsoft security essentials all the way really good fast and free full scan what the previous posts were and you should be good

MasterCLiP

Resident Brony
Former Krew Member
lol this thread is from 2011, look ma in time travelin!

This thread does have some good info in it though do I don't mind if it gets bumped IMO

Freeze

Second Lieutenant
Former Krew Member
Reboot from a cd or usb and reformatting is the best option when in doubt. You don't want spyware to fuck you up the ass. Then antivirus programs: Comodo internet security package (Free and very reliable, the best one on the market imo) and Advanced System Care 5 .That was my advice for this dead thread :D

Top Bottom