wtf my computer is turning itself on???

MasterCLiP

Resident Brony
Former Krew Member
This started happening to me a few days ago, I would put my computer in sleep mode, go to bed and wake up to see my computer on. I know no one else is turning it on as it has happened when nobody was home, and it seems to only happen at night because I would leave it in sleep mode all day but nothing would happen. Has this happened to anyone else?

HIBred

Foolish Mortal
|K3| Executive
i dont use sleep but it did that when i tried quick boot settings,it seems my mouse was overly sensitive, i turned the quick boot off ,and nothin so far like that.

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
Nawww It's a ghost bro.

Nope, it's actually...

google_bb.gif

PwnSauce

Banned
same thing happens to me.

I just turn the power switch off on the power supply but i guess you could look in the BIOS to maybe prevent the OS (windows) from turning the computer on to go check for updates.
Could also be "Wake on LAN" or something where computers can be directed to turn on via network connection.

Maybe part of the windows update process.
Haven't looked into it.

I followed the advice in damage's link to turn off "Allow this device to turn on this computer" (Network card in device manager.)

Start, run enter "compmgmt.msc" hit enter
Go to device manager
Dbl click network card
Power Management Tab
uncheck "Allow this device to wake the computer"

Last edited:

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive
Just run the command prompt code. It will tell you what device(s) are waking up the PC. It's a very simple fix.

MasterCLiP

Resident Brony
Former Krew Member
Thanks for the link Damage, I followed the stuff there so I'll see if it works tonight.

Joe Momma

First Lieutenant
Former Krew Member
The boys are correct, it's a wake on lan problem. You can disable it in windows or in bios.

AVC

Banned
OS? The OS wont wake the system if it's shut down or on standby.
It's the BIOS.
Some BIOSes have a set time to power on, or wake on certain events. Check the BIOS settings

Top Bottom