Mac running hot? Check this out.

Joe Momma

First Lieutenant
Former Krew Member
I personally noticed that my macbook runs way too hot for my taste. So I did a little research and I found a little program called SmcFanControl. This bad boy lets you set a profile for your fan speeds. I have mine at 3 different levels. Default (system default), Better cooling (4000rpm on each fan) and Max speed(highest setting which is 6000rpm). I ran team fortress 2 for about 3 min, and when I closed out of it my macbook hit 92c. I was NOT happy with that, so I always use max fan when playing games or doing any kind of editing. You guys should check it out.

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/23049/smcfancontrol

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
That one is OK. I use Fan Control. It lets you set certain ranges and as soon as it gets to a certain temp, the fans can kick right up. Though, my only gripe is that Fan Control doesn't show on the temps and fan speeds on the menu bar like smcFanControl does. So that's why I use both. Use Fan Control to control the fans and smcFanControl to show the temps/speed on the menu bar.

What I also like about Fan Control is you can have the left and right fans running at different speeds. Like for instance, the left side has the CPU so it gets much hotter on that side and thus I set the fan to kick in at lower temp. That way I don't kill both fans at the same time ya know.

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive
Fire-Extinguisher.jpg

Always worked on my MAC. They are resistant to not only viruses my friends.

TheDude

Dudesicle
|K3| Member
Okay, so what youre saying is my macbook pro does not need to be so hot it almost burns when I touch it when I play cod4?
This fan thing-a-muh-bob will work?

Joe Momma

First Lieutenant
Former Krew Member
Okay, so what youre saying is my macbook pro does not need to be so hot it almost burns when I touch it when I play cod4?
This fan thing-a-muh-bob will work?

Keep playing @ those temps and your macbook will fail within the next couple months to year

Titoezz

Second Lieutenant
|K3| Member
Mac's are designed to get those temperatures and keep working well, you can get control over it yourself, but what you're saying is absolute bullshit joe, a mac doesn't fail in "a couple months to a year" just because of temperatures. If it does, something else is the problem.

Joe Momma

First Lieutenant
Former Krew Member
Mac's are designed to get those temperatures and keep working well, you can get control over it yourself, but what you're saying is absolute bullshit joe, a mac doesn't fail in "a couple months to a year" just because of temperatures. If it does, something else is the problem.

Sorry tito, I've been in the computer business long enough to know that cpu and or gpu's running at temps around 90-100c is not healthy. Typically it's not the cpu itself that dies, those are designed fairly well, but it's the motherboard. GPU's don't last very long at high temperatures though, I've got at least 3 if not more melted logic boards (motherboards) from a few MacBooks and macbook pros.

HBeta

Master Sergeant
I've tried SmcFanControl and I can't say it was very useful.

You can use that program to reduce temperatures when you're running at a low or medium CPU/GPU load. But when it comes to high performance tasks, it won't help you b/c the fans will run at maximum anyway.
I found the permanent noise from the fans annoying so I've deleted it.

I use a dashboard widget called iStat Nano to check the CPU temp and the fan speed. http://www.islayer.com/apps/istatnano/

Joe Momma

First Lieutenant
Former Krew Member
I've tried SmcFanControl and I can't say it was very useful.

You can use that program to reduce temperatures when you're running at a low or medium CPU/GPU load. But when it comes to high performance tasks, it won't help you b/c the fans will run at maximum anyway.
I found the permanent noise from the fans annoying so I've deleted it.

I use a dashboard widget called iStat Nano to check the CPU temp and the fan speed. http://www.islayer.com/apps/istatnano/

Actually I think there is a bug with newer macbooks tbh, my macbook only revved up to 2500rpms when playing team fortress 2, which then caused my cpu to hit 92degrees. Thats why I use it. I've never really seen this happen with a laptop until now, maybe apple will fix it in a future update of os x.

BluBirD78

Master of BluballZ
|K3| Member
I have to agree with Joe on this one, heat is the biggest killer of electronics whether it's computers or not. I had a GTX 260 video card that playing on cod4 it would run in the low 70C range, and playing MW2 it was constantly running at 80C or higher, well about 2 yrs later the thing crapped out on me. Not completely sure if it was the heat but at those temps that's what my first guess would be.

Now I have an ATI 6870 with an Arctic Twin Turbo Pro cooler on it, and wow did that make a difference!! My temps on cod4 now run normally in the lower 50's range and on MW2, about the same strangely, not to mention the dual 92mm fans are extremely quiet too, even at a 100% fan speed!!! :D

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
Joe when you mention temps, are you talking about Celsius or Fahrenheit?

Top Bottom