Ancient Apple ibook from 1998 restored + reviewed!

Joe Momma

First Lieutenant
Former Krew Member
So, I just finished restoring an Apple ibook from 1998! This bad boy was abused, had some problems and then some. Main reason it was so abused is because it belonged to a school. Well after I got my hands on it I began to try and get it working again. The original power adapter was torn so I had to buy a new one off of ebay (10 bucks, not too bad). Next order of business was the amount of ram this thing had. It came with only 32mb of ram! I was pretty surprised because I expected at least 64mb or 128mb. Nevertheless I opened it up, took apart a few screws and I eventually figured out where the ram slot was. The slot was completely empty, so I assumed the ibook has 32mb of ram built into the motherboard itself. So I went into my garage and tracked down a stick of 128mb pc100 (sdRam). After messing around with it a little bit, I realized the cd drive was almost completely shot (read cd's for a min and then gave up) and the touchpad wasn't working properly. So after 20 min, I managed to replace the cd drive and fix the touchpad and it seemed like everything was in working order. Next thing I did was completely wipe it down, and clean off marks that were on it. Then I buffed the plastic all around the body to give it a nicer less scratched look. (I didn't buff the part with sharpie writing on it). After that I looked online for some software for this thing could run (It was running os 9.2). After 10-15 min of research I decided upon os x 10.1.4. After downloading and installing, I wasn't very happy with the performance. It was very sluggish. Then I tryed os x 10.3.9 (panther). Sure enough, it ran much better. It isn't nearly as fast as todays computers but it was pretty good for it's age. The main thing slowing it down right now is the crappy hard drive (3gb drive) which has a read speed of about 9 MB/s and write speed of about 5-6MB/s. After all of that hard work, here is the finished product!

c36020110807151348.jpg

c36020110807151418.jpg

c36020110807151536.jpg

This puppy was pretty high end back in the day. It retailed for $1,599. For fun, we are going to compare it too a modern day Apple macbook pro (15inch) which retails for $1799.

c36020110807151720.jpg

Something I noticed was that apple flipped the logo around on the newer macbook models.

c36020110807151720.jpg

c36020110807151932.jpg

c36020110807151943.jpg

c36020110807152007.jpg

One upside to the g3 ibook is that it runs much cooler than my macbook pro. After some stress testing it just got a little warm. My macbook pro on the other hand, if I don't use a fan speed controller to bump up my fans it will hit 92c under load. It BURNS. But with fans spun up to max I get around 68-72c under load which isn't as bad.

Hope you enjoyed my post! Comment telling me what you think!

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
Not bad.

10.4 needs 256mb of RAM minimum.

And I know exactly what you mean about it being beat up because it came from a school. Kids don't give a crap about 'em since they or their parents didn't buy 'em.

edit:
oh and about the apple logo being flipped, it's because Apple wants other people to know what the machine is, rather than having you look at the logo upright.

Joe Momma

First Lieutenant
Former Krew Member
Not bad.

10.4 needs 256mb of RAM minimum.

And I know exactly what you mean about it being beat up because it came from a school. Kids don't give a crap about 'em since they or their parents didn't buy 'em.

edit:
oh and about the apple logo being flipped, it's because Apple wants other people to know what the machine is, rather than having you look at the logo upright.

Yea it was heavily scratched and carved up. But after buffing it out it the scratches are almost nonexistent. Os x 10.4 Wasn't officially supported on this machine actually, mainly due to the weak video chip. It has some kind of ATi chip with 4MB of video ram. You can find a way around it though, but I'm not going to attempt it.

---------- Post added at 09:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:11 PM ----------

I forgot to add this picture here. It has this cool handle here so you can carry it around. Pretty cool huh

c36020110807161618.jpg

honestjohnny

Master Sergeant
|K3| Legend
I used to have a green one. got rid of it a couple years ago do to the screen getting busted. and the cd drive not working at all.

BluBirD78

Master of BluballZ
|K3| Member
Nice job Joe!! Sure didn't expect that but it's kinda like taking an old car and giving it a restoration on it, looks pretty good man! ;)

Joe Momma

First Lieutenant
Former Krew Member
Nice job Joe!! Sure didn't expect that but it's kinda like taking an old car and giving it a restoration on it, looks pretty good man! ;)

Thanks man, appreciate it. I would give you a "thanks" but I'm all out of em today. Ill be sure to leave you one tomorrow though lol

Top Bottom