Automatic Shifting?

CiTyCHiLD

Second Lieutenant
Former Krew Member
Hello Everyone,

I was watching this review of my car the other day (I think on TV). He was talking about all the pros and cons for my car, and he was doing all that cool stuff to test it out. It was an old video by the quality of it and that's probably because it was done in 03.

Anyways, He was driving the Automatic version of my car which was cool because that's the same one I have. He talked about the Semi Automatic Shifting my car has. It has the Drive, park, and ect, but it has this option where you can over ride the Automatic transmission and shift into gears by your self instead of having the car do it for you. From my understanding, it's only there for people who like to pretend they are driving a real manual car.

The guy said it was much better to drive using the shifter, also known as a manual clutchless, instead of the fully Automatic because the Automatic seemed to have less power than if I was to use the shifter. I decided to test this out. I drove it around using the clutchless manual shifter and he did seem to be correct.

Anyways, I was wondering if any of you knew the pros and cons using the clutchless manual shifter instead of the fully automatic? For example, does it hurt the car in anyway, or does it waste more gass than the fully automatic? If not, can any of you direct me to site where they talk more about this? Also, do any of you use the Clutchless Manual and if so, how do you like it?

Thanks for your response. I know this is like one question out of a million I already asked the forums, but you guys seem to give me great advice. Sometimes when I go to a store and ask them a question they seem to tell me what I want to hear and not the real answer, or they just give me any answer to make me go away lol. Well, I'm just asking because I hate having something in my car that I don't know how it works.

Thanks again.

AVC

Banned
Most autos these days have a "sport" or "self drive" option.

Even in the old days of 3 speed autos, there was still an option to go to "2" or "1" from D to hold the box in a certain gear.

Nowadays with autos being 6 or even 7 speed there is usually a "+" or "-" position to "manually" select the gear. Usually moving the shifter to the side (as in my car) will set the box to "sport" mode but stay in auto with remapped shift sequencing. Once you go for a manual up or down change it then behaves sort of like a manual but with no clutch.

It's good if you want to drive a bit sportier, because you can keep the revs up a bit, and dont get suckered with an auto change right when you don't want one. With the modern autos though, they are electronically controlled so they will still auto up change before you redline it, or autochange to 1st if you stop at the lights and dont downchange through the gears to first.

Not to be confused with some automatics, which are not really an auto box,(an auto has planetary gears and several internal clutches to make the change instantaneous, rather than a manual where gears are physically brought in and out of mesh), but a manual gearbox with a computer controlled clutch and gear shift. They really suck. Especially on hill starts

BriAn79

Second Lieutenant
Former Krew Member
Yeah I agree with Andy about this. I think it may feel like it has more power because
you're staying in gear longer than it would with it in auto. I have a '99 Chevy Monte Carlo
and even when it's in second gear it still shifts to first when you stop, like he was saying.
I don't believe it's electronically controlled but it still does it. However my '79 Ford pickup
if you shift it into second it stays there no matter if you're stopped or not. It's also a a lot
older too.

I know using the "manual" shift on the autos like that are fun, I've driven several
like that. Not sure about the gas mileage. I would guess it would use a little more gas mainly
cuz you're keeping your rpm's up higher than the auto would but I wouldn't think it would
make that much of a difference. Either way, have fun with it! I'm pretty sure it doesn't hurt
your car in any way, I mean it was made to manually shift like that. Pretty neat option to have
though.

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
Andy pretty much nailed it. And Brian is right, you waste a little more gas when you're doing the shifting yourself because people tend to be "pedal-happy", meaning they end up flooring it more lol

I've been into cars ever since I first started driving and you learn a lot as you go but from personal experience, you learn A LOT more in car forums that are only meant for your car. I googled some of your car and found quite a few hits. Try this one. You'll need to read, read, read... Did I mention you need to READ?! lol I say this because there are a lot of people that probably done things certain ways and from their failures you end up learning from it. Also, being in a car forum specifically tailored to your car helps because big forums usually have a lot of members because the forum is very informative; they post a bunch of how-to's, from changing your own oil, tires, the list is endless.

If you're a car-n00b (nothing wrong with it by the way), search car forums and find one that has a lot of information. Oh, and before you start posting say "How to I change XXXXX on my car?" in the car forums, use the SEARCH feature - people that don't search for their answers usually get roasted :giggle:

And to add to what AVC said, newer technology have made wayyyyy better automatics, similar to what F1 uses. The shifting is insanely fast! I love going to the drag-strip and that was one of the reasons why I got my M3 with the SMG transmission (automatic). It's fun to drive, especially when at a flick of the paddle shifter I was already in next year before I ever released the paddle. Those were the good ol' days! My next car hopefully will be another M3 (w/SMG) or an mk5 Gti (w/DSG).

AVC

Banned
It's fun to drive, especially when at a flick of the paddle shifter I was already in next year before I ever released the paddle..

Let me guess, you got it up to 88mph?

Yeah the new autos are the shiz. In the old days you used to lose a fair bit through the torque converter. But these days the autos are as efficient as the manual.
My model only comes out in auto. It's a 6 speed. The new Mercedes SUV wagon is a 7 speed auto! Where will it end?
The other advantages of autos are no clutch problems, and increased bottom end torque through the torque converter (which is why my car has no low-range, doesn't need one)

Top Bottom