Sniper Sway

TheDude

Dudesicle
|K3| Member
Ok this is what I have noticed recently:

With steady aim equipped on the M40a3, right after I spawn, there is NO sway on the sniper rifle. After I move around a bit or take some shots, the sway SEEMS to be the normal amount and does not return to the no sway.

Without Steady aim, there is always initial sway on the sniper rifle.

It is possible that steady aim does decrease the amount of active sway, but I don't know. If it does, it takes a lot of the chance out of quickscopes.

If you scope in at a long distance target (doesn't necessarily have to be, but this is where it will be most noticeable), you will notice sway. Take the scope down and bring it back up without moving your mouse. You will notice that many of these "scopes" will not be on your intended target, possibly off by a lot, while some are. The sway is obviously active while the scope is down.

Even when you hold breath as you scope in, the effect does not complete until around a second after you have a full scope up.

This means, inarguably, that there is at least some amount of chance involved in quickscopes. If steady aim diminishes the amount of sway, I'll be using it from now on, as it takes the luck based QS out of sniping.

Anyone know anything about this?

Cent0

Lieutenant Colonel
|K3| Member
so you'er saying steadyaim makes qs ing easier?

hmmm...
oh and, its not possible to qs someone from the snieprhouse in s1.
you saw me do one, lol

TheDude

Dudesicle
|K3| Member
i didn't say it wasn't possible. I said that you gotta get a lil lucky. One time you could miss, one time hit, even without any of us moving and you not moving your mouse.

felon

I'm back :)
Former Krew Member
IMO, it's almost purely luck, with a bit of practice chucked in, skill has nothing to do with it.

naZaRene

Private First Class
i was thinking about it, and technically steady aim would help while quick scoping.
Steady aim decreases the spread of the crosshairs when completely un-scoped by 45%.
From the second to press aim (or scope in) to the moment you are completely scoped in - the crosshairs will constantly
get smaller (and more accurate) until completely scoped in. Let 1 represent the crosshairs when completely scoped in ( which are
non existent of course, it is only the sniper scope cross, which is 100% accurate.) Without steady aim the crosshairs are at 100% width
(very innacurate [hip-fire]) and steadily decrease width to 1 (scoped in 100% accurate). So that is 100 to 1 width from pressing aim till it is completely scoped
in for no steady aim. with Steady aim, the crosshairs start 45% less wide, or 65% width (still inaccurate [hip-fire]) and as you click aim,
the crosshairs steadily get smaller until they reach 1 (scoped in 100% accurate). So that is 65 to 1 width from pressing aim till completely scoped in with steady aim.

Overall they both reach 1 (scoped in) at the same time, so steady aim is no help there. Where steady aim would really help is if a target is very close, or is coming towards you
and you do not have time to scope in 100% for that quick scope. Instead of all luck no scoping, you can aim in half way and decrease the crosshair width by half
making the shot a more accurate half quick scope, or a very fast quick scope. With out steady aim , a half way in quick scope would be half way between 100 to 1 (100% width to 1% width [accurate scoped in]). SO the accuracy of a half way quick scope would be %50 crosshair width (inaccurate). However, with steady aim a half way quick scope would be half way between 65% width crosshair to 1% ( accurate scoped in). With steady aim, the half way(very fast ) quick scope would be 32.5 % crosshair width, which is much more accurate then 50% crosshair width. so steady aim will help in tight situations.

hope that makes sense. And yes i'm aware that there are no crosshairs shown on the screen in hardcore, but they are still their (just not visible).
The crosshair theory would still apply to hardcore, despite the lack of visible crosshairs.

TheDude

Dudesicle
|K3| Member
Steady aim will allow for quicker close shots to hit more often than without it yes. For any other range, the range is already long enough that the sway (which is active even when the scope is down) could cause the shot to be hit or miss on a quickscope, and the shooter will be forced to wait til Hold Breath takes effect to be able to say they actually knew the shot was going to hit. So Deep Impact is the perk of choice for anyone doing and real ranged work. Steady Aim doesn't affect sway.

Cent0

Lieutenant Colonel
|K3| Member
and you do not have time to scope in 100% for that quick scope. Instead of all luck no scoping, you can aim in half way and decrease the crosshair width by half
making the shot a more accurate half quick scope, or a very fast quick scope. With out steady aim , a half way in quick scope would be half way between 100 to 1 (100% width to 1% width [accurate scoped in]). SO the accuracy of a half way quick scope would be %50 crosshair width (inaccurate). However, with steady aim a half way quick scope would be half way between 65% width crosshair to 1% ( accurate scoped in). With steady aim, the half way(very fast ) quick scope would be 32.5 % crosshair width, which is much more accurate then 50% crosshair width. so steady aim will help in tight situations.

most people call that a noscope

Top Bottom