Neon Dashboard Lights!

J

Jonesy

Hey everyone I was wanting to ask if anyone could give me some advice on how to install some blue neon lights under my dashboard so that they will light the driver's & passenger's feet. I have a 2011 Mazda 3 and i've searched for hours on trying to find a guide/walkthorugh for installing said lights on my particular model. Haven't really been able to find much of anything, I have even searched for the 2010 model since they are almost identical. I do plan on connecting the light to the battery instead of a 12v rail underneath the dash, its easier and safer. An I will be installing a power/switch in a vacant spot on the left side of the steering wheel. Thanks in advance!

Jonesy

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
CCFL computer lights all the way! It's REALLY easy if your footwell already has an existing light. If you don't have an existing light then you'll need to run some wire from the door's light. I prefer this way rather than running cable to the battery with a switch. It keeps it OEM.

Anywho, here is what I use: http://www.directron.com/cxs12wt.html I don't remember where I bought it from, but they were like 10 bucks for 2 12-inch CCFL lights with the converter.

Every car I get, I either make sure to get some LEDs for the license plate or somehow manage to stick CCFL lights in there. Here's the Civic (sold yesterday) that I installed CCFL lights:

IMG_0682.jpg

IMG_0681.jpg

I've been meaning to install these bad boys in the footwell of my Gti, I just need to find my other set of CCFL lights in the garage.

by the way, stick to white, anything else will make it look queer, IMO.

PwnSauce

Banned
I believe you basically, buy lights, plug them into to 12v power and stick them under the dashboard.

it's pretty straightforward. heh.

AVC

Banned
If you run them straight off the battery (via a switch) make sure you install a fuse in line. Othewise if there is a short, it can cause a fire.
Better to use Wally's advice and find the wire that powers the existing lights.
If your gonna install a switch next to the steering wheel, there should be plenty of power sources from nearby controls (hazard lights, headlights etc)
My car has footwell lights, maybe I should change them to LED, that would be much better.

Top Bottom