Whats going on in the world of technology today? (Real technology thread for once)

Joe Momma

First Lieutenant
Former Krew Member
Alright, its been a while since ive made a post in tech section, so lets get started. Whats going on in the world of technology? Heres whats going on.

A new version of windows is in the making according to Microsoft, unofficially called windows 8 my the internet world. Whats to come from windows 8? Well for one they are now starting to support ARM architectures processors. ARM is being used currently in 95% of the mobile phone market due to its power and minimal power consumption. It seems as though Microsoft sees a future for this architecture in small desktop form factors and has made the informed decision to get to work on it. It is not expected to have backwards compatibility with x86 based software. Also this new version of windows has a whole new kernel, it seems that they are finally dropping NT and working on a whole new one. No one is sure how well it will run older NT software, but they claimed games will run better on this future version of windows. I guess only time will tell.

In the other side of the computing world, Apple is about to refresh there line of Macintosh computers. It is expected that they will be using the new Intel Sandy Bridge processors in a lot of there systems, but we may also see some AMD processors making there way into Apples mobile line. Apple and AMD signed a contract but no one is sure what its for, but personally I think it will have AMD's new bobcat APU. As im sure some of your have noticed, apple still has some core 2 duo cpu's in its computers. The reason for this is they don't want intel's under-performing integrated graphics on some of intel's cpus from the first and second generation core series. But since AMD has created the APU code named bobcat that has a integrated graphics processor and northbridge as well as a high performance dual core CPU all in one die, which also lowers power consumption down to about 9 watts, Apple might start shifting in that direction .

Nvidia just released the all new GTX 560Ti video card, featuring a whopping 384 fermi cores, based on the new GF114 die, and up to 1.5gb of ram all for under the price point of $250. This card is aimed at 6950 and 6970 markets and it does a fairly good job. In some cases it does end up slower than 6950, others it comes out beating the 6970. Of course keep in mind this is a new card, drivers have not really matured yet so we may see improvements in performance in the coming months.

Nvidia also seems to be working on a dual GPU video card based on the gtx 580 GF110 die, which contains 512 fermi processing cores on a single die, so 2 of these bad boys together will give you a 1024 cores worth of power. But this doesn't necessarily mean double the power. Fermi GPU architecture is known to have a HUGE power draw as well as running quite hot at high clocks. I personally estimate the GTX 590 will be running around 500mhz when being marketed, but it will for sure take over the 5970 for the most powerful graphics card in the world. It is not yet known how well it will perform with the 6990 when it is released by AMD but we should find out in the coming months.

If you enjoyed this, let me know. I might start making one of these every once in a while :D

Your friend, |KKK| Joe momma.

MasterCLiP

Resident Brony
Former Krew Member
There making a new PSP that is supposed to have the same graphics capabillitys of the PS3

Sent from MasterCLiP using Taatalk

Joe Momma

First Lieutenant
Former Krew Member
lol I was going to write about this in another article if this one got popular enough.

---------- Post added February 5th, 2011 at 12:08 AM ---------- Previous post was February 4th, 2011 at 11:01 PM ----------

also comment if you liked it/want more news in the future!

BluBirD78

Master of BluballZ
|K3| Member
Yeah Joe I really liked the article you posted, very informative man and very nicely done. I certainly would like to see more of them in the future so you got my vote on it, get to it buddy!! :D

Joe Momma

First Lieutenant
Former Krew Member
Its not copy paste, I wrote all of that myself. Google any piece of it and see if you can find it if you don't believe me.

TheDude

Dudesicle
|K3| Member
Its not copy paste, I wrote all of that myself. Google any piece of it and see if you can find it if you don't believe me.

Even though the wording tells that it's not copy and paste, it's refreshing to see the bad grammar and syntax blah blah blah... along with the in depth info. It tells me you learned this shit.

Joe Momma

First Lieutenant
Former Krew Member
lol nick XD

---------- Post added at 06:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:24 PM ----------

I meant, Good work.
Thanks man, I really appreciate that.

---------- Post added February 7th, 2011 at 08:56 PM ---------- Previous post was February 5th, 2011 at 06:06 PM ----------

Alright Ive decided to make another one, I will make a new thread and ill link it to this one. Thanks for support guys! It will be here between a few hours to a few days, just when ever I feel up to it.

AVC

Banned
Yeah, I'd like to see a new episode done in a new thread.

Even natty stuff like power supply standards and stuff (like when they went from AT to ATX etc)

Top Bottom