[TUTORIAL]Setting up your own devmap server

Joonikko

Shades, eternal shades.
|K3| Member
|K3| Media Team
1. Configs

First you need to download server.cfg file and save it in cod4’s main folder. Download link is at the bottom.
example: D: Steam\steamapps\common\call of duty 4\main\server.cfg

Open the file with notepad and set your server name, location, IP and then scroll down to password settings to set your rcon password.

Next you need to make iw3mp.exe shortcut, right click the shortcut->properties and add everything after the plus sing to the target part. There needs to be a space between the “ and +
Target: "D: Steam\steamapps\common\call of duty 4\iw3mp.exe" +set dedicated 2 +set net_ip localhost +set sv_punkbuster 1 +exec server.cfg +set rcon_password PW
*Do not set your PW in the server.cfg file, set it in the shortcut as shown above.

You need to forward your port. I don't know this is done because my brother did that years ago for my router. http://portforward.com/ There should be step-by-step tutorial how to do it.

REMEMBER: When your sharing your server's IP, remember to add the port at the end of the ip address.
Example: My ip address is 84.251.142.249 and port is 28960
This goes to server.cfg file: 84.251.142.249
This is what your telling your friends to connect to: 84.251.142.249:28960

2. Starting server and editing configs

Start your iw3mp shortcut and it should launch console window like this:
console.png

use “g_gametype #” to set your gametype

dm - free for all deathmatch
dom - domination
koth - headquarters
sab - sabotage
sd - search & destroy
war - team deathmatch

example: g_gametype dm

Start the map with “devmap #” (or "map #" if you want normal mode)

mp_block
mp_bog
mp_countdown
mp_crash
mp_crossfire
mp_downpour
mp_district
mp_overgrown
mp_pipeline
mp_shipment
mp_showdown
mp_strike
mp_vacant
mp_wetwork

example: devmap mp_countdown

Now your server should be up and running and you can start messing around with the settings.
You don’t need to type these settings every time, you can save them into an cfg file in the main folder and use “exec” command to launch it.
example: exec devmap.cfg

jump_height # -sets your jump height (normal 39, max 1000)
g_Speed # (normal 190)
player_sprinttime # -time you can sprint(normal 4, max 12.8)
player_sprintspeedscale # -value from g_speed multiplied by # while sprinting(normal 1.5)
bg_falldamagemaxheight # (normal 300)
bg_falldamageminheight # (normal 128)
player_sustainammo # -infinite ammo(0=off, 1=on)
timescale # -adjusts the speed of the server (normal 1)
Google the rest. These ones are only settings I use.

3. In-game rcon commands

rcon login [password]
rcon status –tells you player id’s, their GUID, name etc.
rcon serverinfo
rcon map [map name]
rcon map_rotate
rcon map_restart
rcon fast_restart
rcon clientkick [player id]
rcon kick [player name]
rcon banClient [player id]
rcon banUser [player name]

Download Links:
server.cfg http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7736335/stuff/server/server.cfg
My devmap.cfg http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7736335/stuff/server/devmap.cfg
my normal.cfg file to remove changes made by devmap.cfg http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7736335/stuff/server/normal.cfg

Last edited:

Joonikko

Shades, eternal shades.
|K3| Member
|K3| Media Team
If you copied the cfg file from the download links, then your server probably is public, but your sharing an IP without a port.
example: My ip address is 84.251.142.249 and port is 28960
This goes to server.cfg file: 84.251.142.249
this is what your telling your friends to connect to: 84.251.142.249:28960

You can see your IP and port when connected to your server and by pressing tab.

NickHouston

WaLLy's Personal Favorite Krew Member
|K3| Member
|K3| Media Team
oh, so what ur saying is we need to give the IP with the port?

TheDude

Dudesicle
|K3| Member
Well, i still can't find a list of server commands. The way ive ben doing it is searching in the console, but that only shows a limited amount of results as you kinda have to know exactly what youre looking for. Things like scr_bullet_ragdoll_impact or something i cant remember. Basically, how much force your bullet shoves into the ragdoll. There is one that is a multiplier for the upward momentum applied from the bullet as well. I am assuming explosives have configurable variables like this. So potentially, i could up the ragdollyness. If it's really cool, i can show wally.

So, anyone have a list of these commands, or know how to, in simple terms, make a config with commands of this nature and load it? Right now they are all cheat protected and i can't enable cheats because its read only.

NickHouston

|K3| Member
|K3| Media Team
First step: load the devmap of whichever map you are using. ex- "/rcon devmap mp_broadcast"
Second: enable server cheats- "/rcon sv_cheats 1"
Third: save your server modifications in a ".cfg" file. for example, i have the moonwalk settings in a file called "moonwalk.cfg" place that into: C:/programfiles(x86)/activision/cod4/main
Fourth: Go back into ur console and type "/rcon exec filename.cfg" (replace filename with whatever you titled your .cfg file)
Fifth: Have fun:)

TheDude

Dudesicle
|K3| Member
yep. I do that and sv punbkuster is 0 so punkbuster should be off. When the server starts it tells me punk buster is write protected, and therefore cannot be turned off, even though it is offin hte erver config. Also, sv_cheats says its read only. Is the only issue that I am not doing devmap?

Joonikko

Shades, eternal shades.
|K3| Member
|K3| Media Team
First step: load the devmap of whichever map you are using. ex- "/rcon devmap mp_broadcast"
Second: enable server cheats- "/rcon sv_cheats 1"
Third: save your server modifications in a ".cfg" file. for example, i have the moonwalk settings in a file called "moonwalk.cfg" place that into: C:/programfiles(x86)/activision/cod4/main
Fourth: Go back into ur console and type "/rcon exec filename.cfg" (replace filename with whatever you titled your .cfg file)
Fifth: Have fun:)

Why do you enable sv_cheats in console? They are already enabled by the devmap command.

NickHouston

|K3| Member
|K3| Media Team
yep. I do that and sv punbkuster is 0 so punkbuster should be off. When the server starts it tells me punk buster is write protected, and therefore cannot be turned off, even though it is offin hte erver config. Also, sv_cheats says its read only. Is the only issue that I am not doing devmap?
my punkbuster says write protected but is always off. sv_cheats will always say read only. it all works. but in order to use sv_cheats you must have the devmap loaded.

---------- Post added at 05:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:20 PM ----------

Why do you enable sv_cheats in console? They are already enabled by the devmap command.
i didnt know that lol

Top Bottom