I want these wheels

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
VW101 18" GunMetal Machined Face ET45 Wheels Set - Volkswagen

I asked the wife for an iPad for Christmas which I was pretty close to getting it a few hours ago. I have this is mind instead so that's why I said no to the iPad.

Anyway, I want them so bad like a fat kid loves cake. That bad! Lol

They don't exactly fit but if I can manage to somehow go from 5x100 to 5x112, then I'm set!!

Ah and I can't forget the tires. Wishful thinking here but I'd like to keep it under $800 for everything. :eek:

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
Lol no way!

All the donations that I've received have all been spent on the Krew and it's gonna stay that way. :)

Thanks for the suggestion though. What do you think of the wheels? :D

AVC

Banned
LIKE a fat kid that loves cake? I thought you WERE a fat kid that loves cake. LOL

That's OK, I love cake too.

But back to the wheels.

First of all, how the hell are you gonna change the PCD? File it maybe?

Let me tell you a story. A true story.

This pilot had a home built plane. He buys a new timber prop to replace the metal one. It arrives and has an incorrect PCD. The manufacturer sends out a LAME (Licenced Air Maintenance Engineer) who files the holes to fit. This guy says "will that work?" The LAME replies, "sure, it's held on by compression".

The pilot goes for some test circuits. After about 10 minutes there's a vibration. He throttles back and the vibe disappears. He lands.

He shuts down in front of his hanger, and goes to open the hanger doors. On the ground in front of the plane is a bolt. The prop has only two bolts left (from 5) holding it on. They are both hand tight.

He's undoing the bolts (by hand) and one of the Bankstown LAMEs is walking by. He says "what are you doing, removing the prop?". The pilot replies "no, it's removing itself".

One more circuit would have had an entirely different outcome.

Still wanna file your PCD? hehe.

How big are those tyres BTW?

I just put two new ones one the LAndy. 235/55 x 19. They were $550.

Each. Mind you they have a pretty high load rating for a low profile tyre. 105V.

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
I don't plan on filing. I didn't even know it was an option lol.

If they make spacers which go from 5x100 > 5x112 then I'd go that route. I have heard that it's possible I just need to be sure I can get it done.

AVC

Banned
Spacers only alter the "track". i.e. how far apart the wheels are or how far they stick out, used if you buy wheels with a different "offset".

Unless you have some sort of plate that has studs with the correct PCD for the wheels that bolts to the hub. But you would have to have factory wheel "bolts" and change it to rims that have nuts. And it would change the track, and screw with the castor angles. Front end geometry is a complicated thing.

Filing is not an option. I've seen the result of wheels flying off cars. Not good.

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
These guys make 'em: VW510 19" Hyper Black 5x100 Wheels Set - Volkswagen

the bolt pattern is perfect but I dunno about getting 19's though. They may be a bit too big for my taste. Don't get me wrong, I'd go 19's as well but I'm not sure just yet.

Either way, they're in hyper black. I want something like what you have in silver or gray inserts.

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
Spacers only alter the "track". i.e. how far apart the wheels are or how far they stick out, used if you buy wheels with a different "offset".

Unless you have some sort of plate that has studs with the correct PCD for the wheels that bolts to the hub. But you would have to have factory wheel "bolts" and change it to rims that have nuts. And it would change the track, and screw with the castor angles. Front end geometry is a complicated thing.

Filing is not an option. I've seen the result of wheels flying off cars. Not good.

I'd be using something like this: 5 by 135 to 5 by 135 wheel adapters,wheel spacers, wheel adaptors

AVC

Banned
Ah, ok. That would work, but obviously push the wheel out by the thickness of the spacer. But you can get a different wheel offset to allow for it. Naturally your hubs need to accept wheel bolts, unless the existing studs dont protrude past the spacer.

I like the black rims, but not on a dark car. I have 19s on the Landy, but it's a bigger car. I probably wouldnt have gone 19s, but they were on the car, as it's harder to fit chains for the snow. But the improved handling makes up for it. Low profiles like 55 really make the handling snappy and precise.

I drove a friends car with 70 series tyres on it out of our driveway and nearly crashed it into the fence in the middle of the road, because the steering didn't seem to respond to the first 1/4 turn. Wallow. Lol

hey, good thing about the balck wheels is they dont show the brake disc crap so much. My shiny wheels look shit wneh they're dirty.

Pugsport

Second Lieutenant
|K3| Member
These guys make 'em: VW510 19" Hyper Black 5x100 Wheels Set - Volkswagen

the bolt pattern is perfect but I dunno about getting 19's though. They may be a bit too big for my taste. Don't get me wrong, I'd go 19's as well but I'm not sure just yet.

Either way, they're in hyper black. I want something like what you have in silver or gray inserts.

i would swap lol i wanted black ones but they are rare as fook

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
Yeah, it's definitely gonna take some research to see if the offset can be used on my Gti. And yeah, my Gti uses wheel bolts so I'm set on that part.

I like black rims myself but only if they have a polished lip. Other than that, no.

The wheels will be going on this car:
Gti.jpg

The only reason why I don't want to go with 19's cuz it's an mk4, rather than the newer Gti's.

If it's too much money than I may have to stick with what I have an invest the money into performance which I also want right about now lol

Pugsport

Second Lieutenant
|K3| Member
true they would look better if they had a polished lip. im sure it would be ok with 19" wheels on but it depends if you can get low profile tyres or not.

performance is always good. is it the 1.8 turbo version of the gti?

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
definitely low profile tires but if I do end up going with 19's it'll have to wait 'til near summer because rainy season brings out unwanted potholes around here.

And yup, it's the 1.8t. :D

Pugsport

Second Lieutenant
|K3| Member
nice got a passat 1.8t. you should upgrade the turbo to a K04 or something even bigger. the passat runs a k04 at the moment and that spins up in the dry running 1.5bar of boost only problem with it is it keeps blowing the boost pipes off.

Top Bottom