linux

Joe Momma

First Lieutenant
Former Krew Member
alright, so who here is a linux head. and whats your favorite distro/distros. if you havent tryed linux, why the hell not? if you use osx.... well you can gtfo lol. XD

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
arigtfo.gif

with that shit. :D

TheDude

Dudesicle
|K3| Member
people that hate mac as much as you are not basing it on logic. I am sure you can find some way to argue your point, but it's always a new story. Macs are too fkin expensive, but osx is nice. I can switch out of cod4 (and any other program) in less than 2 seconds, and get back in the same time. While mac fans are annoying as fuck, mac haters are just as ignint.

Joe Momma

First Lieutenant
Former Krew Member
nope. ive used os x for years. also used os9 for about 1 year. dont like it at all. my windows 7 can do everything quickly and speedy. usually i dont even close cod, its always open in the background unless i shut down. and when i do close it, it closes in less than that 2 sec and its ready on my desktop. os x feels slow. it just idk. hard to explain. i dont like the way it crashs over the dumbest shit neither. so yea i have my reasons to not like os x. nothing to do with ignorance

TheDude

Dudesicle
|K3| Member
osx has never crashed for me and i have used a bunch of extremely intensive audio editing software. They run great. I have never been able to edit audio on a windows machine like I can on mac. I started using mac when my school required last year, so I am not a lifelong macfan.

Joe Momma

First Lieutenant
Former Krew Member
osx has never crashed for me and i have used a bunch of extremely intensive audio editing software. They run great. I have never been able to edit audio on a windows machine like I can on mac. I started using mac when my school required last year, so I am not a lifelong macfan.

you wernt using a good program then. XD but ya it all comes down to personal choice. i like windows 7 and linux mint. os x meh ill use it if i need to but never would i buy or install it on my own machines.

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
os x feels slow.

OS 9? Compared to what? The new stuff that's out right now? Well, obviously... I can even agree to that.

Apples to Apples, I prefer OSX over my Windows 7.

Going off-topic a bit. About the only avid Linux users on the forum that I know is Blu.

Joe Momma

First Lieutenant
Former Krew Member
its not that its a bad os, its not. its fairly good but i feel there are flaws. 1 really huge thing for me about os x is in order to really close a program, you have to go up in the menu bar and hit quit w/e program your using. kinda makes me mad. also the gui is literally uncustomizeable. and the close and minimize buttons are on the other side, and the dock takes up too much room. theres many places it can improve. for 1 thing if they made it more customizeable i would try to use it. also programs. some programs that i might use dont exist for os x which is disappointing. not to mention gaming on os x is crippling. low frames compared to pc gaming. theres a huge list of things it can improve on but sadly apple wont do those things. there more oriented for people who dont know how to use a computer.

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
Apple + Q results in quitting the program. If you hit the red X on any program it doesn't quit the program, it leaves it open so when you try to open the program again, it opens instantly. That's not a disadvantage.

Name any of your so-called customizations. OSX = no customizations needed. j/k. It needs minor things like double-click to minimize; things of that nature.

As for the dock, I love it. It auto-hides to minize the space taken. You can also make it tiny. FYI, Windows XP - 7 do it as well.

Yes, it doesn't have all the games out there but it's OK. That's where Boot Camp comes along to get your gaming fix. :D

Joe Momma

First Lieutenant
Former Krew Member
well if you want to keep your computer running as fast as possible, keeping the program open isnt something i like to do. thats why i wish it would just close when u hit the red x. plus os x is even more of a memory hog than vista. i say with a few minor adjustments os x can be more likeable. but sadly steve jobs and his cult just wont do it.

TheDude

Dudesicle
|K3| Member
I may know more about audio editing, though I certainly do not know anywhere near as much as any of you guys do about computers. I will say that osx has been a solid os for me. XP screwed up all the time. I never used vista. I have yet to try windows 7. I am guessing it is a lot better than the general public give it credit for. I haven't heard anything bad about it yet.

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
Wrong. Snow Leopard only requires 1 gig of ram and it's 64-bit. Windows 7 64-bit requires 2gigs. And here's the kicker, OSX requires only 5gig of disk space (64-bit), Win7 requires 20gigs. ;)

I have 4 gigs of ram, a lot of programs left open, and osx is by no means slow, even with my hacked version. My wife's laptop is running like a champ, also.

If you haven't personally tried OSX more than a few minutes worth, then obviously you'll think the OS is stupid.

Just like I don't like Linux. I don't like it because I don't understand it as much as Windows or OSX. Don't knock it 'til you truly try it. ;)

You're a so-called techy. You could do this without getting raped by Apple. :D

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
If I didn't know how to do what I do, I would of forked over the money for an Apple. I don't regret what I paid for my wife's laptop at all, and I'm a bit of a penny pincher. ;)

Joe Momma

First Lieutenant
Former Krew Member
Wrong. Snow Leopard only requires 1 gig of ram and it's 64-bit. Windows 7 64-bit requires 2gigs. And here's the kicker, OSX requires only 5gig of disk space (64-bit), Win7 requires 20gigs. ;)

I have 4 gigs of ram, a lot of programs left open, and osx is by no means slow, even with my hacked version. My wife's laptop is running like a champ, also.

If you haven't personally tried OSX more than a few minutes worth, then obviously you'll think the OS is stupid.

Just like I don't like Linux. I don't like it because I don't understand it as much as Windows or OSX. Don't knock it 'til you truly try it. ;)

You're a so-called techy. You could do this without getting raped by Apple. :D

i have no idea were you got those numbers but they are dead wrong. windows 7 recommends 1gb of ram, but runs smoothly on 512mb of ram. leopard and snow leopard cannot at all run on 512mb of ram. way too little. 1gb of ram might get it running but not effiecently. 2gb is recomended for leopard and snow. as for diskspace, im pretty sure windows 7 only takes up 5gb of space on the hard drive. os x, i have no idea but i imagine its about the same.

TheDude

Dudesicle
|K3| Member
dude if i get another laptop i will talk to you about the best route to go on, but right now the mac works, and it was part of the college plan. The fact that I haven't heard so much windows trash talk since windows 7 got going makes me think Apple just has no material to trash talk on, cuz they know Microsoft would just come out and call bs. IDK enough about computers to explore this section of the forum, lol. When I try to talk about music people call me a stuck up prick, even though most of the time I actually like what they listen to. So this is thedude saying officially *I do not know shit about computers. I do not even know how to buy computers efficiently. I had trouble finding a good mouse, just because i didn't know what to look for. *

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
Nope. I got all the info I posted straight from the horse's mouth. Both on Apple and Windows.

I'd post links of their official pages but I'm too lazy to do it from my iPhone.

Obviously, you can run any of the above OS's without the requirements but you're gonna be running half assed.

Joe Momma

First Lieutenant
Former Krew Member
Nope. I got all the info I posted straight from the horse's mouth. Both on Apple and Windows.

I'd post links of their official pages but I'm too lazy to do it from my iPhone.

Obviously, you can run any of the above OS's without the requirements but you're gonna be running half assed.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/system-requirements

1ghz processor, and 1gb ram is recomended. the hard drive space is so you have enough room to store files. on apple website it says 5gb available to install the os, on microsoft website it just recommends you a hard drive space.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/specs.html

also i take back some of the stuff i said about the ram, but the only reason people buy the x64 version of windows is if they have 4gb of ram or more. you dont go installing it if you have less. the true min requirement for ram is 512mb, ive done it on at least 3 different systems. and honestly if you have 4gb of ram, you can just keep 32bit os and use extension bit which turns 32bit into 36bit, making the full 4gb usable. snow is x64 by default, there is no 32bit option. which is why it uses so much memory in the first place.

Top Bottom