Reduce lag? Please help asap

No Mercy

Master Sergeant
|K3| Member
|K3| Media Team
Hey guys,
As most of you would know ive been complaining lag alot, and ive decided to post a fourm. You guys would proberly say the usual, get new internet plan or lower settings. I have lowered settings but my parents wont let me change internet connection and im hopeing there is some way to reduce lag efficently.
Thanks, DeathFromAbove :)

stevo

eh
Former Krew Member
do a speed test at speedtest.net and lets see what kinda internet you got first lol then paste the link or forum code here

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive

Your net is very, very, very slow Death. With those speeds you are always going to have lag. Also, take into account that the speed you show is from a server close to you, while the server that hosts S1 is located many thousands of miles from you. Until you upgrade your connection, you're going to lag.

No Mercy

Master Sergeant
|K3| Member
|K3| Media Team
Thanks damage and stevo, My parents are takeing it into deep thought and wil be changeing soon :) thanks guys for the help
DeathFromAbove

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive
Kat, i thought Road Runner was cable speed internet? Why is yours so slow?

And Cent0, when the speed test completes, there are two places to click that say copy direct link and copy forum link. Its right on the results box.

KateLove

Sergeant
Kat, i thought Road Runner was cable speed internet? Why is yours so slow?

And Cent0, when the speed test completes, there are two places to click that say copy direct link and copy forum link. Its right on the results box.
well i think its my pc OR its cuz i have Road Runner Light

AVC

Banned
WTF DFA?
Are you on dial up?
Can you even get dial up any more?

To Sydney

To NY

Our shop is getting ADSL 2. The thing with ADSL is the closer to the exchange you are the better. With cable (what we have at home) the distance matters little, but the more users on your branch downloading affect performance. The exchange is literally across the road. I'm dying to see the performance. Might have to do my gaming at the shop, lol.

No Mercy

Master Sergeant
|K3| Member
|K3| Media Team
:lol_hitting: im not shure, but were hopefully getting a better provider YAY FINALLY

AVC

Banned
OK, from what you say you have ADSL. In other words internet via the phone line wire, but not a dial up modem.

Generally just as fast as cable. With cable it doesn't matter how far away from the exchange you are but everyone is on the same cable. The more peeps torrenting and DLing pr0n, the more it degrades the cables performance.
With ADSL it doesn't matter, the pair of wires are yours back to the exchange. But the further you are from the exchange the less the performance.

What is killing you is the fact that you are connected to the modem via wireless. The modem should have an ethernet port, as should your laptop. Connect directly to the modem with a network cable (blue usually, with RJ connectors each end), and remember to disable the wireless on the laptop.

Give us the specs on your laptop. You should adjust your video settings down depending on your gear. If the laptop is struggling, turn off some crap. AA, dynamic lighting, shading, whatever. There are console commands to turn off brass ejection and decals which will give you a few more FPS.

Second, don't have ANY other programs running in the background. Shut down the browser. Go CTR ALT DEL and check the Applications tab. It should only have COD4. Make sure there are no stupid processes like printer apps and webcam crap. And if other users are on in the household this will affect performance. Give us a screenshot of your processes tab if you don't know what to turn off.

Like I said earlier (I think your intro) the best ping you will expect from the USA is a bit over 200ms. The signal only travel at the speed of light. 186 thousand miles a second. To the S1 server and back is about 24 thousand miles. That's about 130 milliseconds before you add in any latency from all the routing points.

Top Bottom