CPU Build for MCwoot.

BluBirD78

Master of BluballZ
|K3| Member
Very nice build Damage, I like it :D Here are my thoughts...

Case: I would go with the Antec 900, Excellent airflow (mine usually runs about 3-5 Degrees F warmer than ambient) and it is also 60 bucks cheaper than the 1200

PSU: Excellent choice, I would stick with the one Damage recommended

MOBO: I would choose the Gigabyte over the Asus, I have a Gigabye and very satisfied with it. Another note, the GB also has dual bios, which is nice if you are a overclock tweaker like I am.

CPU: Again, excellent choice and I would certainly stick with the 965 Black Edition

HHD: I think either HD would be a great choice, I currently have a WD 640GB Blue Caviar and haven't had a glitch with it, and as you said Damage I don't think the Raptor price/performance ratio is great enough to use it, so I would stick with the 7200 RPM.

RAM: Also another good choice on Ram, McFoe said he would like to have 6GB so may be he could go with two sets of these, it'll add another 105 bucks but hey, McFoe wants to get crazy with this, lol.

GPU: All I can say is WOW, that thing is a machine! Go for it :D

DVD: If he has a Blu Ray player at home and wants to spend the bucks on the disks, I would certainly get the Blu Ray but if not and doesn't plan on getting one, go with the DVD Recorder. I currently own an LG and have no problems with it at all, and recorded with it several times.

As Damage said it is completely up to you McFoe, but it is very nice to have all of these suggestions to help you out. If I come up with anything else I'll let you guys now :D

McFoe

Staff Sergeant
|K3| Legend
Keep it coming guys great suggestions. I'm still thinking dual hd and ssd for OS. But I'm delaying purchase for awhile to be sure in getting exactly what I want. And windows 7 will run with 8gigs of ram so yeah might as well go for it. And I'm not gonna order all this online I'm going to buy most of the components at fry's.

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive
Well since you are going to order at fry's i'm not sure how much it will affect the price. I would still recommend newegg over fry's, but it's your choice of course. SSD are super expensive but again it's your choice. I agree with blu on everything he said. I'd use the GB mobo as well if you like to OC and tweak things since you have the dual bios. Mine has that as well. One note with my Gigabyte mobo, i had to update the bios so it would run my quad core at full speed. I knew this going in, so i did it with a flash drive before i even put windows on it. You might have to update the bios on this one as well. EDIT: I just looked at the fry's website, and it seems like they have the same prices as Newegg for the most part so Fry's looks like a good choice. The advantage of that is of course if something is DOA, you can take it back and get a new one right away instead of waiting on shipping.

McFoe

Staff Sergeant
|K3| Legend
Yeah there is a frys in indianapolis. No shipping and I can return.

Post Merge: [time]1265054447[/time]

Ok when I get off work in about two hours I'm going to put together a system based on your imput on this forum. Then I'm going to match it up against a preassembled machine and the shopping starts tomorrow

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive
Another option you have Mcfoe is checking sites that custom build your PC for you. Most of them are way overpriced but avadirect.com is pretty good. I considered going with them before i decided to build it myself. It will cost a bit more, but you can customize your pc and get help from their tech ppl along the way. They also do things like OC, stability tests etc. Give em a look.

http://desktop-computers.avadirect.com/Desktop_Computers/

Here is a link rating them so you know your buying from a trustworthy place.

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/AVA_Direct

Another link to check out. http://www.digitalstormonline.com/index.htm

Top Bottom