Your stance on movie Piracy

How do you stand on Pirating movies?

• Total voters

Master_Race

Corporal
Just curious how others feel about it.

Tickets cost $12 for a regular ticket out where I live, and an extra $4 for Imax and an extra $6 for 3-D.
So no, I refuse to pay $22 to see a 3-D Imax movie such as Avatar and almost every big movie coming out in the near future.
If I want to see a movie I get stuck having to work am A.M. show time into my schedule so I only have to pay $6 for a ticket.
Heh Heh, all this isn't even including Concession Prices =P

stevo

eh
Former Krew Member
Heres what it cost here in canada im not sure if it still the same but before it use to be half price on tuesdays
Admission
General (14-64) $9.75
Child (3-13) $7.50
Senior (65+) $7.50
3D General (14-64) $12.75
3D Child (3-13) $10.50
3D Senior (65+) $10.50

BluBirD78

Master of BluballZ
|K3| Member
Well our theater here doesn't have Imax or 3D, so I've never seen either one although I could drive 50 miles or so to see Imax, but it's not worth it to me. I really don't like going to theaters to watch movies, everything is way over priced and the sound is waaaay to loud for me.

I have a widescreen TV and 7.1 surround sound here at the house, not only can I control it (pause, play or whatever) I can also drink my beer which I love for movies, and pause for smoke breaks, lol. Also if I really like the movie I rented I'll make a copy of it on my PC, and take it back to Hastings. So I guess in a way I pay for it, to rent it and if I decide to keep it, put it on the PC. I just don't make copies and sell them, so does it still make it illegal if you just make a copy for yourself? LoL

Dizaster

Master Sergeant
Former Krew Member
LOl i dont have any morals at all id have enough pirated DVDS in my possession to fill a duffel bag lmao.

Caveadsum

The Merchant of Venom
|K3| Legend
Morally I would take the stance that by watching a movie for free that you would otherwise pay money to see, you are stealing the rightful profits from the makers of that film. I rarely go to the theater. If I'm interested in the movie I'll rent it or buy it when it's released. If it's a movie that I am kind of interested in but would never take the trouble to rent it, I don't have a problem with watching it ONCE. If I like it I ought to buy it if I want to watch it again. I don't download simply because I don't trust people. ;)

These are the guidelines I follow, and they work because I'm honest with myself. That's what it takes really, if you're not going to be honest about whether you would pay money or not then I really don't care. This is just what I think and instead of trying to justify pirating at least be honest about it. :p

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive
I like going to the movies. I like 3-d, i like loud sound from 8 million speakers etc etc. However, i rarely go. Like Diz, i too have a ton of pirated movies. I just downloaded the A team in 720p lolz. It doesnt bother me all that much since hollywood does everything in it's power to get you to go and spend your hard earned money.

They give us a two minute trailer, some of which might not even appear in the movie. If the movie sucks do we get our money back? NO. The actors still get their 40 billion $ pay checks regardless. Hollywood as used every trick in the book to get our money on overpriced movies. I don't feel bad about it.

Music is another story, Although i still download some of that also along with Apps, PC games... oh man i'm going to federal fk me in the ass prison. hehe.

Code

Sergeant
Former Krew Member
stealing is stealing, plain and simple.

You worked all day building cabinets to sell them to make money to put food on your table. I go and steal one of your cabinets because "I" feel it's too expensive to buy it. How would you feel?

Don't use the excuse "Oh but they're rich zillionaires they deserve it", the law is the law. Period.

I'm not passing judgement on anyone, just stating simple common sense facts. The day something is stolen from from you, don't get mad, just add up the cost of all the things you illegally down loaded. Who knows, you may break even.

BluBirD78

Master of BluballZ
|K3| Member
Good points Code, what about this...

Say you go rent a movie, then put it on your PC to burn to a disk, you still pay for it because of renting it, but it's not full price as it would be if you buy the movie, whats your take on that? (just curious)

517Houston

|KKK| Gaming Legend
|K3| Member

Say you go rent a movie, then put it on your PC to burn to a disk, you still pay for it because of renting it, but it's not full price as it would be if you buy the movie, whats your take on that? (just curious)
As long as you mess it up a little its ok...lol

Code

Sergeant
Former Krew Member

Technically it's still stealing. When you rent a movie you are paying for watching it for an agreed period of time. For that time to be infinate you then have to purchase it.

It's all in putting it into the perspective of "what if you were the business owner" and how these things affect you.

You rent a movie for $5 for 5 days. You take and copy it and return the movie. You then share your copy with 5 other people ($25 loss for the store. Or, if you are an employee your boss says "Hey Blu, I need to cut your hours, it's a bit slow today". then you go home pissed because now you have to work another day to get the $25 you lost out on because your days was cut short.

Maybe over simplified but you get the idea. Don't get me wrong, I am just stating facts and not passing judgement on anyone here. We are all human and none of us are perfect.

Code

Sergeant
Former Krew Member
I deal with profit and loss on a daily basis in what I do. I have had to let people go due to the economy and business being slow. Though we may not see them directly the things we do do have an impact.

When the decision was made several months ago to destroy NASA people saw that on the news and were like "Wow, bummer". I had to see friends lose their jobs after 25+ years of hard work.

A song on itunes goes for .99. More than 10 million songs are illegally DL'd. That's 10 million dollars. Even if 50% was profit that leaves $5miilion for overhead and jobs. Rather $5 million in lost jobs or 125 $40k per year jobs. Do you know anyone that lost or needs a job?

honestjohnny

Master Sergeant
|K3| Legend
I download movies all the time. If i like them then i go to the theatre to watch or even buy it when it comes out onto DVD. I hate the fact that u dont know what ur wasting ur money on b4 u waste ur money. When i go to buy some cabinets i get to see them b4 i spend my money. When movies were $6.00 for the evening showing and and you could get 2 sodas and popcorn for $10.00 it wasnt that big of a deal to go see a crappy movie. I once worked at reagal cinemas for quite a while and i got to see how much those theatres make in pure profits. Theatres also pay there workers like crap. I was a manager and i only made $9.00/hr.
so yeah i am going to download and watch b4 i go wasting my money. if it was good and i feel like i should support them for there work i will go watch at the movie theatre and maybe even buy the DVD.

P.S. If the people in hollywood make a crap movie then they should not get all the money they do by scamming people into going to see the movie by putting good previews on television. The ones that make crap movies deserve to go out of business.

AVC

Banned
If I like a movie, I will usually want to watch it several times.

I normally buy movies if I like them. They're cheap enough.

I find that the pirate ones are shit quality anyway.

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive
You're getting the wrong pirated movies then AVC. 90% of the movies i get are in 720p HD quality and look very good. You just need to know who the good ripping groups are. Example - Axxo is epic for DVD rips.

Try warezbb for great , high quality rips. Normal DVD's are cheap, but all i watch are HD Blu rays and those are not cheap. I used Netflix for quite a while solely to get Blu rays.

BluBirD78

Master of BluballZ
|K3| Member
Exactly, while I don't have blu-ray the "normal" DVD's are good enough for me, but there a are a lot of movies that are uploaded that are crap. Axxo does do some very good rips, but for me if they are movies I want to keep I want the DVD to burn for two reasons, one being better video quality and two the audio is digital (meaning surround sound, not 2.1) For TV shows I just DL them from Warezz and that is good enough for me, just that movies are a different story for me :D

stevo

eh
Former Krew Member
Yea u always gotta make sure its a dvd rip not a cam in the theatre, Celebreties and movie actors and what not are overrated there just regular people making xcesive amounts of money for no apparent reason

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive
Yes, always made sure its a dvd rip. It's almost always specified in the description whether its a cam version or a dvd rip. Also, the cam versions tend to be of newly released movies. If a movie is out on dvd, or close to being out, you can almost always find a dvd rip and usually the 720p rips.

For people who prefer torrents, Check out www.Superfundo.org. I haven't been there since Wally told me about WBB, but they are a great place for dvd rips. They only use a handful of top quality dvd ripping groups.

:7505:

Top Bottom