We're advertising cheats now?

AVC

Banned
I noticed today a bit of "forum blue screen", indicating someone working under the hood.

Obviously we have added an advertising square, which is annoying, as most advertising is, but anyway.

So I'm browsing away and I see this:

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive
rofl. Sorry but that's kinda funny. If i had to guess, i would assume Google puts this add box onto sites that integrates their search feature like we have now. We use their service and in exchange they can advertise. I would assume most of the advertisements that come up would be related to the topic(s) of said website. I have noticed the ads change and most are forum or game related.

My Guess.

Pugsport

Second Lieutenant
|K3| Member
i have not seen this but it is kinda funny. all i have seen is CIS insurance and chatroom adds

PwnSauce

Banned
adblock for firefox blocks advertisements.

It's nice but it creates a funny condition when I use IE and see ads I had no idea existed.
I'm like "what are these?" lol

BluBirD78

Master of BluballZ
|K3| Member
Adblock Plus ftw, lol

I use this also with firefox and have also never seen the ad's, but for me that's a good thing. Other than that, not a prob for me ;)

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
rofl. Sorry but that's kinda funny. If i had to guess, i would assume Google puts this add box onto sites that integrates their search feature like we have now. We use their service and in exchange they can advertise. I would assume most of the advertisements that come up would be related to the topic(s) of said website. I have noticed the ads change and most are forum or game related.

My Guess.

The ads are all my doing. I added them to see how much revenue they would generate.

The Google search feature is just to search within the forum; so that addition didn't bring ads. It was me.

I plan to leave the ads for 2 weeks - tops! I'll let you guys know the tally then. Sorry for the uglyness for the time-being.

AVC

Banned
I would assume most of the advertisements that come up would be related to the topic(s) of said website. I have noticed the ads change and most are forum or game related.

How is this forum related? Do they infer that most gamers are single guys?

ROFL

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
LMAO.

Just checked and it's close to a whopping 2 bucks already. Not bad. At this rate, we can have free servers. w00t! :p

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive
Well it was just a guess on my part. Wally can you explain to me how the ads work and what not. Do you have to pay for them?

517Houston

|KKK| Gaming Legend
|K3| Member
You may be able to have certain types of ads blocked. I know it's a money maker but advertisements right where the shout goes for cheats is not really what we wanna be showing folks is it?

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
Well it was just a guess on my part. Wally can you explain to me how the ads work and what not. Do you have to pay for them?

It's Google Ads. They set anything they think it's revelent (sp?) to the forum. Yes, even cheats.

It's free to put on the forum, meaning nothing comes out of my pocket. Google pays me to have these ads on the forum, and whenever someone clicks on the ad it creates revenue. Google does keep track of the clicks so anything excessive then they know they're not legit clicks.

As of last night, I also added the Google Search Engine (it's in a gray border), and anyone can search anything on it. Again, if people use this rather than going through Google first, generates some revenue for us.

Houston, I have no control over the Ads; even if they're cheats...

Dizaster

Master Sergeant
Former Krew Member
Lol wow thats a bit ironic isnt it lmao. Well as long as someone doesnt make a huge deal about it we shouldnt have some weird awkward moment.

Caveadsum

The Merchant of Venom
|K3| Legend
That's a pretty good deal really. If that means you can support your servers with just that money then I'm all for putting up with a few annoying ads.

BluBirD78

Master of BluballZ
|K3| Member
i know one person.
name starts with a B and ends with a 9 ;)

Cent if your talking about Brian he's taken now, has been for some time :p

And if you were talking about me, then read my name again, it starts with a B but ends in an 8 :D

Top Bottom