Sound Card problems win 10

HIBred

Foolish Mortal
|K3| Executive
I have a sound blaster recon card that has worked fine until win 10...It has worked on win 10 most of the time but 2 or 3 times now won 10 has decided to not detect the card anymore... on all forums i checked ppl keep saying "update drivers...heres the thing nobody seems to get..if the card is not detected it wont install/update drivers! ffs same answers everywhere so I am hoping someone here has a better solution .. I have done these steps over and over:
reboot
disable other audio drivers
attempt update of sound blaster drivers
reboot
reseated card
reboot

*does not show up in device manager*
*latest driver/suite install reads "no device detected"*

I need advice on hardware detection

not on driver installation
any help would be greatly appreciated

Last edited:

Kreubs

|K3|Minecraft Admin
|K3| Executive
What's the card model?

The card does not have to be detected to install drivers. That's the whole point of installing drivers, the card isn't detected lol. The Windows provided driver update utility sometimes isn't of much help, unfortunately.
I had a similar issue with my network driver upon migrating to 10. The latest driver totally crapped my network out and nothing worked. Reboots, reinstalls, everything. No results after 3 hours. I ended up going to a driver from earlier this and it solved everything.

Try this:
1. Get the latest driver marked for 7/8/8.1.
2. If the card shows up in device manager, right click it and uninstall it. If the option to remove device software appears, select it.
3. Rebooting might be a good idea, but I can't say whether or not it would trigger an auto install. If Windows couldn't find a driver on it's own, chances are that it won't.
4. Install the driver in compatibility mode of it's marked OS (7 -> 7 SP1, 8 -> 8.1, etc) Use 8.1 if possible.
5. Reboot if it asks.
6. If this still doesn't work, start from step one with a slightly older driver that isn't marked as having major issues.

HIBred

Foolish Mortal
|K3| Executive
its a soundblaster recon..the thing with these drivers is once it does through a few steps it stops and says driver could not be installed because device not found..thats the whole problem

Kreubs

|K3|Minecraft Admin
|K3| Executive
its a soundblaster recon..the thing with these drivers is once it does through a few steps it stops and says driver could not be installed because device not found..thats the whole problem
Oh, I guess I misunderstood. Not even the driver utility can find it? Then maybe it is as Wally says :/ How old is it?

HIBred

Foolish Mortal
|K3| Executive
pretty old...4 years? that was myu first thought so i started shopping for new ones then it started working again..then this morning pooped..perhaps it is time to put the ole girl out to pasture :(

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
If you have another HDD laying around, you can always install Windows 7/8 on it and go from there. Then you'll know if it's the OS or the sound card that's bad.

Top Bottom