Choosing a new laptop

MikeK

Vodka supplier
|K3| Member
Hello everyone!

I'm thinking of buying a new laptop in a couple of months and Im currently trying to choose one.

I'm a complete noob in that stuff. All I know about computer stuff: I have an ASUS gaming laptop which works well but is getting older plus its way to heavy, huge and only works like 2 hours without charging so I can't really take it anywhere with me.

What I need the new one be:
Need not be a gaming laptop
12-13-14"
Thin: no more than an inch / 2,5 cm, best under 0,75 inch / 2cm
Light: no more than 1,5 kilo / 3,3 lb, best under 1-1,2 kilo / 2,5 lb
Battery working hours - 9-12
Budget: something like MacBook Air 13" 256GB or Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon Ultrabook in your region

Additional question:
I most likely need it to be a windows one but if I, in the end, go with the MacBook Air, is it a good idea to install Windows 8 or 10 on it? How does it affect the battery hours and overall productivity? How does the trackpad work with Windows (how do I use the right button in particular)?

Everyone, please comment!
@Kreubs @Joonikko @stevo

Last edited:

Kreubs

|K3|Minecraft Admin
|K3| Executive
Additional question:
I most likely need it to be a windows one but if I, in the end, go with the MacBook Air, is it a good idea to install Windows 8 or 10 on it? How does it affect the battery hours and overall productivity? How does the trackpad work with Windows (how do I use the right button in particular)?
Apparently the new Retina Macbook runs Windows 10 better than it runs OSX.

How about the Asus Zenbook? Here's a review with loads of info. It's said to get about 9.5 hours of battery with use.

MikeK

Vodka supplier
|K3| Member
Apparently the new Retina Macbook runs Windows 10 better than it runs OSX.

I've heard from someone that there's a chance to install the Win 10 Beta and get if for free when it's officially out, is that true?
I'd be quite happy to avoid spending more money on Windows if I buy the MacBook, given that the money exchange rates have been, thanks to putin, fked up since the Ukraine events and all the computer stuff is like 30-50% more expensive than it should be

Kreubs

|K3|Minecraft Admin
|K3| Executive
I've heard from someone that there's a chance to install the Win 10 Beta and get if for free when it's officially out, is that true?
I'd be quite happy to avoid spending more money on Windows if I buy the MacBook, given that the money exchange rates have been, thanks to putin, fked up since the Ukraine events and all the computer stuff is like 30-50% more expensive than it should be
I think so, but only if you were a registered Insider (free) and installed the tech preview as the preview would upgrade to the full version on launch day. As of today, it looks like the preview builds are no longer being given out in preparation for the July 29th release.
So, yeah, it's true-ish, but you need to have the preview installed and running on your computer before launch day in order to get a copy.

Top Bottom