Friend needs a laptop.

NickHouston

WaLLy's Personal Favorite Krew Member
|K3| Member
|K3| Media Team
Hey guys, my friend told me today that he needs a laptop for school. He wants something that can run Minecraft really well and do school work on. His budget is $350-400. He said he could go up to $450 but it's not ideal for him.

I'm having trouble finding laptops in general for under $500 that have decent specs. Could you guys help?

null

and void
|K3| Member
Have a look at this guy: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NNQFNV4

It'll certainly get him there for Minecraft, and I see some positive reports from CS:GO players, WoW, etc. as well. Plenty of RAM for his use case, and the Kaveri is a good, quad-core processor (http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Kaveri-A10-7300-Notebook-Processor.117333.0.html). The linked benchmarking site compares the integrated GPU to a dedicated GeForce GT 720M: not amazing, but at this price certainly impressive. One particular downside is the storage: only 500GB. For $50 more he can upgrade to 1TB but that may be a pass given his budget.

Just another option to consider. Best luck in the search.

NickHouston

|K3| Member
|K3| Media Team

I feel like a lower end cpu and under 6-8GB ram would hurt his experience. He's a casual player, but he really wants something that'll let him run MC without lag.

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive
Oh.

I wasn't aware an i-3 was a 'lower end' processor. But, i don't really keep up with technology.

I'll let the experts handle it from here on out.

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive
I didn't take offense.

As i said, i don't pay attention to or keep up with technology, at least for the most part. Not really into it that much.

I'm always glad to learn something new. I always thought the i-3 was a good CPU, but now i know that it's considered to be on the lower end. Helps to know for the future.

NickHouston

|K3| Member
|K3| Media Team
I didn't take offense.

As i said, i don't pay attention to or keep up with technology, at least for the most part. Not really into it that much.

I'm always glad to learn something new. I always thought the i-3 was a good CPU, but now i know that it's considered to be on the lower end. Helps to know for the future.
I personally use an i3 in my desktop, it's great for the money. It gets the job done, but it struggles on some things. Minecraft is one of those cpu/ram heavy games and doesn't really take much from the GPU unless you install graphics mods like shaders and hd textures.

Now on the 16GB ram/i7 that I have on my laptop(with a mobile gpu) it runs great! No lag or anything!

Top Bottom