Double-post merge bump behavior

After a fixed period, should double posts no longer be merged?

• Yes

Votes: 12 85.7%
  • No

Votes: 2 14.3%

• Total voters

null

and void
|K3| Member
@WaLLy and @Kreubs wrt. implementation, but more generally to the interest and input of the broader Krew: have considerations for double-post merge bumping behavior been made? I understand and agree with the current basic mechanism, particularly as a defense against spam. However, after a certain interval (say, 1 to 2 hours?) does it make sense to either disable merging or somehow allow subsequent edits to appear in notifications?

My thinking is that, in some cases - and especially lower traffic threads - the infinite interval (i.e. it just looks to see whether the next poster is the same as the last poster, timestamps notwithstanding) would seriously limit an update's exposure. What does the Krew think?

P.S. thanks to @HIBred for his research on this.

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
There are 2 settings which I'll list the minutes it's set to besides it:
Double Post Merge time limit (minutes) - beyond this limit the post will not be merged, Unlimited = always merge: 1440 minutes (24 hours)
Double Post thread bump limit (minutes) - beyond this limit, the thread will be marked as un-read and thread watch alerts will be sent out, Unlimited = always bump: 2880 (48 hours)

I'm not even sure why the times weren't matched. Either way, I don't see why we can't lower the times a good chunk (and match them up).

null

and void
|K3| Member
That is weird. If anything I could see it making more sense if the two settings had been reversed. At any rate, good to know this behavior is already programmed into the software - and BOTH of the mechanisms at that!

King_JCD

|K3|'s Sprite King
|K3| Member
|K3| Media Team
I'm not particularly knowledgeable on this, but after a while it already ignores the merge thread action and marks it as a new post. Again, this is only after a very prolonged amount of time, to my knowledge.

PR3C1Z10N

Sergeant
|K3| Member
I voted yes. The time limit doesn't have to be enough to let anyone spam (five seconds), but maybe 5+ minutes?

miniCyb3r

Slave to nothing.
|K3| Member
Hey im new guys
2ZmtoEZ.jpg

Wrong section, dude.

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
Somewhat of a change, see below. Feel free to give further input.

Double Post Merge time limit (minutes) - beyond this limit the post will not be merged, Unlimited = always merge: 1440 minutes (24 hours) - left this the same as the below change should get the result of what you were looking for.
Double Post thread bump limit (minutes) - beyond this limit, the thread will be marked as un-read and thread watch alerts will be sent out, Unlimited = always bump: 60 minutes - lowered this from 2 days.

Top Bottom