Minecraft server = dead

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
The machine may have a bad hard drive. Here's why:

I noticed the server was offline not too long ago. I wasn't able to get into it remotely. I gave it a manual reboot and then it came back up. I did Ubuntu updates and did a safe reboot. Then I wasn't able to get into it again :\ Another reboot and some scrolling words came up and Google search came up with a bad hard drive.

I connected to the display and notice the Ubuntu partition isn't anywhere to be seen.

Since it's Friday, my work week starts tomorrow. I won't be able to fully diagnose the hard drive until Monday at the earliest.

FYI, McMyAdmin did do nightly backups onto my external drive. So hopefully at most, we may have just lost a day's work that's if it wasn't able to do the nightly backup from 4am this morning.

I'll post more news as I have them.

PS. I have a new 320GB that I can swap in if necessary. Don't remember how long ago I bought the 1TB SSHD. Hopefully it still has warranty if it's completely dead.

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
Hard drive's good. The partition is wonky. Time to start downloading Ubuntu and other things for a fresh install.

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
I worked weird hours this week, so I couldn't get to it as much as I wanted to. I did some troubleshooting but it wasn't much.

Here' s where we're at: Reinstalled Ubuntu Server and after a few reboots I started seeing the same errors at bootup. Then it went kaput. I installed OS X Yosemite and it's been running fine and dandy. Weird. Tried doing the Apple Hardware Test but it would just spit out the disc, and any disc for that matter. Hopefully I remember to take the external cd drive from work today so I can run the test tonight.

Last edited:

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
Was able to run a few Apple Hardware Tests and it found a RAM error. Removed 1 stick, ran the test and it passed. Swapped that stick for the other one and it failed within a minute. It found no issues with the hard drive.

As of right now, the machine is running with 1 RAM stick (4GB). Reinstalled Ubuntu Server and thus far has been running without issues even after a few reboots. I'll start installing some of the stuff and hopefully it should be ready to go by Tuesday/Wednesday.

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
Looks like it wasn't just a RAM issue. Although the AHT found no issues with the hard drive (may have been because it's an SSHD), I believe that also took a dump. I've reinstalled the OS numerous times this week. It runs fine for a day or two and then just decides to go nuke itself.

As of last night, I reinstalled a new 320GB HDD (no SSHD) and have reinstalled Ubuntu. I'll wait a few more days before I say the server is ready to go.

Top Bottom