Win7 32bit vs 64bit - application performance

TheDude

Dudesicle
|K3| Member
Basically, does windows 7 64 bit run third party applications and games better than 32 bit.

I got 16 gig ram ddr3, Ci7 @2.6GHz

NickHouston

WaLLy's Personal Favorite Krew Member
|K3| Member
|K3| Media Team
32 bit processors are limited to 4GB of ram.
64 bit is better for gaming/anything memory intensive. 32 bit is getting really out dated. Go with the 64.
[DOUBLEPOST=1423405532][/DOUBLEPOST]I'll let someone with more computer knowledge elaborate, because my google searching skills are not strong this early in the morning.

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
What is the difference between 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows?
The terms 32-bit and 64-bit refer to the way a computer's processor (also called a CPU), handles information. The 64-bit version of Windows handles large amounts of random access memory (RAM) more effectively than a 32-bit system.
Source: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/32-bit-and-64-bit-windows#1TC=windows-7

32-bit product keys won't work with 64-bit.

If you already have a Windows product key, you don't need to pirate any of it. You can download the ISO's and make a bootable CD/USB. I usually download them from Digital River (believe this may have changed not too long ago) or just go straight here http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-recovery

Last edited:

Kreubs

|K3|Minecraft Admin
|K3| Executive
32-bit product keys won't work with 64-bit.
This is not true; the key will work. (maybe you just made a typo) The key is specific to the edition of Windows (Home, Pro, Ultimate). The architecture isn't treated as an edition.

To expand on what Nick and Wally said, all applications in a 32-bit are limited to 4 GB of RAM, including the OS, since a 32-bit integer only holds 2^32 - 1 bytes (roughly 4 billion). Having 16 GB of RAM basically means that you absolutely require 64-bit in order to use your computer to it's full potential.

edit: my post is just redundant XD. go with 64 :D

Last edited:

HIBred

Foolish Mortal
|K3| Executive
nintendo_n64_2s.jpg

Top Bottom