Boneless leg o lamb

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive
I made this tonight, so i figured i'd post up the method. It's very easy to do. I used a boneless leg of lamb that weighed about 4 lbs.

*Do NOT take off the twine the roast is tied in if you go boneless.

* Another tip. Pull the twine up from the meat so it doesn't embed itself into the crust with it cooks. The oil helps prevent this as well.

* Third tip. Use a roasting rack over a pan so your roast doesn't cook in it's own fat.

I filled a bowl with some olive oil and cap full of liquid smoke (optional),then threw the roast in and coated it. I then rubbed 21 seasoning salute and some garlic powder all over the roast. You can, of course, use w/e seasonings you want.

You then want to let the roast sit out at room temp. for at least an hour. You can let it sit out as long as 2.5 hours. I let this sit out about 90 mins. This is to ensure even cooking.

The next step is to insert a good meat thermometer into the thickest part of the roast. Alternatively, some people can tell their desired doneness with touch, but I'm not one of them. It's easier to just crack the oven and peak at the thermometer.

Next, preheat your oven to 450.

Since i was using a low main cooking temp. you'll want to sear or blast the roast with high heat so the outer bits aren't chewy and jerky like. You can either sear it in a hot pan for about a minute or two a side or blast it with high heat in the oven. I did the latter.

I blasted the roast @ 450 for 20 mins, then turned the oven down to 225 for the duration. You can go as low as 200 if you wish, or use 250 or 275. For an Alternative method, just roast @ 325 for the duration.

I then checked on it after 60 mins, then again at the 90 min mark. You won't want to open your oven too many times as it lets the heat escape. Since i like my meat med. rare/rare, i pulled the roast when it hit an internal temp. of 130 f. To reach that temp, it took just a little under 2 hours. Keep a good eye on it once it hits 115 or 120, as it can get up to 130 very quickly.

Once the roast is done, you then want to wrap the roast in foil, or even in a towel , and let it rest at least 30 mins. During the resting period the roast will cook up about 5 degrees (f). So pulling it @ 130 yields a nice 135 (med rare).

Pull @ 125 for rare.
130-135 for Med rare.
135-140 for Medium.

There are 100 different opinions on internal temps. but I've found this to be pretty accurate, at least for my tastes.

Results! It tasted even better than it looked. Meat was more red colored than the pictured indicated.

P1080633_zpsf12d58ed.jpg

P1080636_zps17e9910e.jpg

Last edited:

animal66

Second Lieutenant
Member of the Year
|K3|Super-Moderator
I do love a leg of lamb. Personally though, i can't stand any red on mine. I tend too cook it between 180 - 200 for about 3-4 hours so it's nice and tender. The top tip is the one about wrapping it in foil, i think this enhances the flavour. Try putting fresh mint on top for the first 30 minutes or so, and covering it in foil for those 30 minutes.

Storky

Rawr
|K3| Moderator
Recruitment Team
dat skin.. looks delicious. cant say the same about the pink inside though but nice

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive
Thanks for the tip, but i do not like mint. I also do not wrap or cover the roast while it's cooking.

I don't eat red meat often, but the next time i get one i think i will try roasting @ 200 after the heat blast, which i might cut down to 10 minutes. I think my oven tends to cook too quickly and takes too long to go from 450 to 200/225 etc. I was thinking my roast would be done in 3-3.5 hours, not under two.

One suggestion i read on Chowhound was to rub the roast with anchovies. Apparently this gives off a great flavor. It turns a lot of people off, but according to everything I've read it leaves zero fishy /anchovy taste.

I see you both dislike med rare. Is this common in the UK?

If a roast is all gray, it's a :fail: for me XD

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive
They said it added Unami. Had never heard of it before.

"Taking its name from Japanese, umami is a pleasant savoury taste imparted by glutamate, a type of amino acid, and ribonucleotides, including inosinate and guanylate, which occur naturally in many foods including meat, fish, vegetables and dairy products. As the taste of umami itself is subtle and blends well with other tastes to expand and round out flavors, most people don't recognize umami when they encounter it, but it plays an important role making food taste delicious."

Storky

Rawr
|K3| Moderator
Recruitment Team
ah yeh, well anchovies are soaked in oil. they have loads of amino acids (omega 3). as well as salty, are quite tangy. so this is probably the flavour. i have them on pizza all the time and they dont make it fishy like that thing said, they just make it salty

BluBirD78

Master of BluballZ
|K3| Member
Thanks for the tip, but i do not like mint. I also do not wrap or cover the roast while it's cooking.

I don't eat red meat often, but the next time i get one i think i will try roasting @ 200 after the heat blast, which i might cut down to 10 minutes. I think my oven tends to cook too quickly and takes too long to go from 450 to 200/225 etc. I was thinking my roast would be done in 3-3.5 hours, not under two.

One suggestion i read on Chowhound was to rub the roast with anchovies. Apparently this gives off a great flavor. It turns a lot of people off, but according to everything I've read it leaves zero fishy /anchovy taste.

I see you both dislike med rare. Is this common in the UK?

If a roast is all gray, it's a :fail: for me XD

Yea man Med Rare is the best IMO, blood and all is just fine with me!

Top Bottom