Roku/chrome cast etc.

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive
I'm pondering cutting cable as Comcast is outrageous and just raised their prices....again.

If anyone has experience with using these, please share. Can you only stream from services like Netflix etc. or can you actually tune into live TV and stream from the available networks? Does it affect internet speed/connectivity of the PC/Laptop/W.E. while using it? Do they freeze up and buffer quite a bit?

Do you need a unit for each tv?

Any input would be appreciated.

Maccabeus

Private First Class
|K3| Member
I had some friends with the Roku. I have some to say about it but I didn't use it a WHOLE lot. You need one for each TV. It didn't seem to affect internet speed even remotely. From my understanding it works like this guy says
"This is the part I struggled with when I first set up my Roku. I didn’t really understand what a “channel” was or how to watch things through them.
A channel is like an app; there’s one for each content provider that works with Roku. There are more than 1,000 channels available, which is Roku’s biggest advantage over the other players.

When you’ve got the box set up, you’ll see some of the most popular channels listed on your home screen: Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Hulu Plus, and HBO GO (possibly others as well). These channels have already been installed on your Roku. But to watch content from any of the hundreds of other channels, you have to first install them from the Channel store. You can either do this from the Roku menu on your TV or from the Roku website." For the premium channels like Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Hulu Plus, HBO GO, Pandora, etc. you need to already have an account with those services to be able to watch their content through the Roku.

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive
Thank you, that's quite helpful. Each channel would then have it's list of shows for streaming, i assume. Can it stream live tv?

If not, does it carry current seasons of shows?

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
I'll go more in depth on it tomorrow. I've owned a Chromecast (gave it to my bro) and also own an Apple TV2 (it's basically a Roku).

If you're looking to cut the cable completely, these things aren't it.

A Roku has apps (channels) like HBO, Showtime, etc. but if you don't have a cable subscription, these apps are useless.

A Chromecast is just a dumb USB stick that is looking for a link from a source. From a tablet, smartphone or desktop browser you'll get a Google Cast icon (on the phone so I can't easily provide a link to an image of it) which basically sends the link of the video (either YouTube, HBO, or Netflix) to the Chromecast. The WiFi connected Chromecast then grabs that link and plays it on your HDTV.

I mainly used the Chromecast to stream Plex to it.

If someone has a newer (2014) HDTV, they come with these apps. So really, a Chromecast and Roku would be a waste of money.
[DOUBLEPOST=1417243419,1417243340][/DOUBLEPOST]AFAIK, none (except if you have XBMC installed with the proper plugins) of these devices let you watch regular live TV.

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
Can you only stream from services like Netflix etc.
Both Roku Stick and Chromecast are streaming sticks. The Roku stick comes with a control and when connected has an actual user interface to navigate and do stuff. It comes with apps built in, so you don't need to use a PC/smartphone to make it play; just the remote. The Chromecast is just a streamer and it requires a smartphone, or tablet or Google Chrome browser plus it's Google cast extension installed so you can send videos to it. The casting icon I was referring to looks like this
9EPkHvO.jpg

It's really a painless process. The same icon comes up on my iPhone and iPad. I'm sure it'll look like that on an Android device.
can you actually tune into live TV and stream from the available networks?
AFAIK, the Chromecast didn't have that feature. I am unsure if the Roku stick or the Roku device does live TV. However, I do know that my some apps on my Apple TV 2 allow you to watch some of their live stuff, ie. Disney Channel.
Does it affect internet speed/connectivity of the PC/Laptop/W.E. while using it?
Speaking for the Chromecast, not at all. But that's probably because I had it about 5 feet away. Just so long as you're not using up all your home's bandwidth, it'll be OK.
Do they freeze up and buffer quite a bit?
Speaking for the Chromecast again, no. It streamed everything just fine. When playing the movies I have on the Plex Server, the movies buffered for a few seconds while loading the movies, but other than that, they all played flawlessly.
Do you need a unit for each tv?
Yes. But if you get a streaming stick, it's a painless process to remove from 1 TV to another. The TV does need to have an HDMI and USB port though. It draws power from the USB port.

For cable cutters, if you already somehow have HBO, Showtime, Hulu Plus subs, it's worth it. If you don't have these subs, you're simply not gonna get much use of this thing unless all you're planning on using it for is YouTube.

I plan on getting the new Amazon Fire Stick soon to replace my old Chromecast. It's faster, newer, comes with a remote and a UI and it's only 25 bucks at Best Buy and Staples. So if you're looking for a streaming stick, you might want to look at this one, unless a Chromecast gets a refresh in the near future.

Top Bottom