Apple announces iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3, iMac with Retina Display and upgrades the Mac Mini

Joonikko

Shades, eternal shades.
|K3| Member
|K3| Media Team
Apple iPad Air 2
nxCw8xd.png

• 6.1 mm (18% thinner than previous generation)
  • A8X CPU
  • 2nd gen 64-bit architecture
  • 3 billion transistors
  • 40% faster CPU (than previous gen)
  • 2.5x faster GPU (than previous gen)
  • M8 motion processor
  • 10 hour battery life
  • 8MP f/2.4 camera
  • 802.11ac with MIMO
  • 20 LTE bands
  • Touch ID
tQmmZ8G.png

NNQvYw2.png

iPad Mini 3
iMxr4JH.jpg

• 7.9" Retina display
  • 5MP iSight camera
  • 1080p video recording
  • FaceTime HD camera
  • 802.11n with MIMO
  • Touch ID

http://www.theverge.com/2014/10/16/6988209/apple-ipad-mini-3-touch-id-fingerprint-sensor-announced
The third-generation iPad mini is here, and yes, it's got a Touch ID fingerprint sensor built in. Apple just (very quickly) introduced the iPad mini 3 during an event at its Cupertino headquarters. Looking at the device straight on, you'd be hard pressed to spot any major differences between Apple's latest 7.9-inch tablet and the iPad mini with Retina display that was released last year. Aside from the Touch ID home button, it's identical: a Retina display up front, chamfered edges, and an aluminum rear shell. (Like the new iPad Air 2, it too now comes in gold.) It starts at $399 for 16GB in Wi-Fi only and runs up to $729 for a 128GB + LTE model. Pre-orders begin tomorrow, and ships by the end of next week. The previous iPad mini with Retina display — now known as iPad mini 2 — has received a price cut and can now be bought for as low as $299. And the first, non-Retina iPad mini now costs only $249, though there are probably better options out there for that price.

Phil Schiller didn't spend very much time discussing the iPad mini 3 on stage today; he focused mostly on the flagship iPad Air 2. And there may be a reason for that. It sounds like the iPad mini 3 doesn't carry the same hardware specs as its larger counterpart, a departure from what we saw in 2013. Right now, we know that Apple's new smaller tablet lacks the impressive camera optics of the larger model; instead it's got a 5MP iSight camera.

Last year, Apple put the iPad mini on equal footing with its larger counterpart in terms of hardware specifications. Both devices run the company's A7 chipset, have an identical screen resolution of 2048x1536, and all-day battery life. Unlike the first iPad mini — which debuted in 2012 and shipped without a high-resolution display — the second-gen model was truly a miniature version of the full-size iPad.

For 2014, consumers have one new alternative to the iPad mini — and it's another Apple product: the iPhone 6 Plus. The 5.5-inch smartphone has a good chance of cannibalizing at least some iPad mini sales, but Apple has always maintained that it would rather have people choose between its own products instead of going with a competitor. There are certainly worse problems to have than iPhone sales eating into the iPad mini's performance at retail.

iMac with Retina Display
JSCu4zF.jpg

• 27" 5120x2880, 14.7 million pixel "Retina 5K display" with new custom built timing controller
  • 3.5 GHz Intel quad-core i5, upgradeable to an i7
  • Radeon R9 M290X graphics, upgradable to R9 M295X
  • Thunderbolt 2
  • 1TB Fusion drive
ztL9OWM.jpg

WI2BUBR.jpg

http://www.theverge.com/2014/10/16/6984755/apple-imac-with-retina-display-announced

Apple has announced a new version of its iMac desktop computer complete with a high-resolution Retina display. Prior to this, the highest resolution iMac was the 27-inch model, which has a 2560 x 1440 pixel display. The new model has what Apple says is the "world's highest resolution display", at 5120 x 2880 pixels on a 27-inch screen. Apple notes that it has seven times as many pixels as an HD TV, with 14.7 million in total. It's also 67 percent more pixels than 4K displays, and Apple is calling it a Retina 5K display.

Despite the higher resolution screen, the new model retains the 5mm thick profile of the current iMac, and Apple says the panel uses 30 percent less energy than before. Apple is using a new chip to control the display as well as something called Oxide TF and a low-power backlight. Apple says pricing for the new iMac will start at $2,499, with units available for purchase today. The base model has a 3.5GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 processor, AMD Radeon R9 M290X graphics card, 8GB of RAM, and a 1TB Fusion drive. Customers can configure it with up to a 4GHz Core i7 processor, 32GB of RAM, a 3TB Fusion drive, or a 1TB SSD.

Mac Mini
U7xEqsn.jpg

• 4th-gen Intel Core CPUs
  • Intel Iris and HD Graphics 5000
  • PCIe-based flash storage
  • 802.11ac Wi-Fi
  • two Thunderbolt 2 ports
  • starts at $499

Also OS X 10.10 Yosemite is available for download, for free.
jkDDzE1.jpg

Last edited:

NickHouston

WaLLy's Personal Favorite Krew Member
|K3| Member
|K3| Media Team
LIES. Yosemite isn't out yet.

What happened to the normal iPad? Did they drop the weight and call it the "air" or is it in a different keynote?

For the iMac,

$2499 for a computer that only has an i5 @ 3.5 GHz and 8GB RAM? I payed the same for my macbook and it has both a better processor AND twice as much RAM. The "5k" display is meh. Nobody will really be able to tell the difference between a 4k and 5k. It's just apple being... apple. Then again it is a 27 inch screen so it may make a little bit of a difference.

Plus it comes with that crappy 1 button mouse and keyboard without numberpad... I like my 2 buttons and number pad. :eek:

The graphics card I don't know what to say about. It's a Radeon M290X. It could be a great GPU, or it could just be a crappy mobile one that can run "5k".

I could see the $2500 if they threw in an i7, but not with an i5.

For Yosemite, I actually think it looks pretty cool, except for the iOS 8 graphics. I like the current dock that looks like a shelf.

I'd say they should make it free to use the Swift app making software, but then I just laughed. They really want that $100 per year, per dev. Even Xcode, as hard as it is to use, is expensive as crap and I'm not buying it.

Don't get me wrong, I do like my Macbook and I like using my school's iMacs, but I still think they're being a little greedy on these prices.

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
LIES. Yosemite isn't out yet.
It is. I'm currently downloading it right now.
What happened to the normal iPad? Did they drop the weight and call it the "air" or is it in a different keynote?
It became an Air as of last year. Thinner everywhere, and yes, it's much lighter.
Nobody will really be able to tell the difference between a 4k and 5k. It's just apple being... apple. Then again it is a 27 inch screen so it may make a little bit of a difference.
The Dell 4K display isn't out yet, but from what I've searched, it has a price tag of $2,500. Not saying it's worth it for my personal usage but I'm sure other pros do. The non-retina is $1,799 and $1,999.
Plus it comes with that crappy 1 button mouse and keyboard without numberpad... I like my 2 buttons and number pad.
The Magic Mouse is a bit weird. I like it because it has gestures. However, I prefer the Magic Trackpad because I'm just used to it since my MBP has it.

AFAIK, all iMacs come with whatever mouse and keyboard you want. If you REALLY don't like the default mouse (Magic Mouse), I would still get the Magic Mouse and sell it. Then get whatever mouse you fancy. The Magic Mouse sells for ~$50 on Craigslist.

Even Xcode, as hard as it is to use, is expensive as crap and I'm not buying it.
Xcode is free. Download it from the Mac App Store.

Last edited:

NickHouston

|K3| Member
|K3| Media Team
Wally, is the update for Yosemite on the app store? Because that one says it's unavailable.

For the 5k, I realized like 15 minutes after I posted that the apple screen alone(without 5k) is priced at $1000 so $1500 for the actual parts isn't bad(for apple) but the screen is still really overpriced. I just think that with the i5 and only 8GB RAM, there should have been at least a $500 less price tag on it.

For the "Magic" Mouse, meh. I can't believe people use the free one that comes with the computer, let alone buy them for the price of a mid/higher-end gaming mouse. For a mouse, I prefer buttons to gestures. I can't stand the command click instead of right click. I actually bring my new G700 with me to school to use their Macs, lol.

I know you can go out and buy 3rd party mice, but keyboards? I looked at the mack Black Widow Ultimate and the pic on amazon showed the one with PC keys...

Do you know if Yosemite will let us change our dock's look back? I know with windows you can change the style to WinXP while you use 7 if you want.[DOUBLEPOST=1413497505][/DOUBLEPOST]Nevermind on my first question, the app store must have been flooded with all the people who want it. lol

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
Yosemite is only in Beta? Or do you mean there was a beta released a while ago?
Yosemite was announced on June 2nd but was in beta for devs and the public beta testers. Yosemite was officially released to everyone today after 4 months of testing.
I don't use beta because of all the bugs you gotta deal with. No bueno.

NickHouston

|K3| Member
|K3| Media Team
Yosemite was announced on June 2nd but was in beta for devs and the public beta testers. Yosemite was officially released to everyone today after 4 months of testing.
I don't use beta because of all the bugs you gotta deal with. No bueno.
Ahh ok.

I do like the new features of Yosemite. Just installed about 2 minutes ago.

Titoezz

Second Lieutenant
|K3| Member
Digging the new Air, definitely upgrading in a month or so.
About the iMac, yes 2500 bucks is a lot of money for the average user. But i think people forget 2 things..
The iMac with 5K is not a computer for the average user. Just like the 2500 Macbook 15", its a device used by professionals.
Second, as Apple said in the keynote, tv's monitors and straight up screens with 4k already cost a fucking ton. Apple upped the resolution even more AND threw in a pretty decent computer as well.. Professionals now have their Mac Pro styled all-in-one.
Although i still think they shouldve made it a standard i7 its a pretty beast computer.

About the mac mini, fuck you apple..

Kreubs

|K3|Minecraft Admin
|K3| Executive
@stevo A dislike? Did you even read the article? pffff

Maybe I was just letting the Yosemite people know that they should follow the steps in the article to keep their info from being leaked?

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
“For Spotlight Suggestions we minimize the amount of information sent to Apple,” the company added. “Apple doesn’t retain IP addresses from users’ devices. Spotlight blurs the location on the device so it never sends an exact location to Apple. Location, search queries, and usage information sent to Apple will be used by Apple only to make Spotlight Suggestions more relevant and to improve other Apple products and services.”
Now tell me what's bad about that?

Kreubs

|K3|Minecraft Admin
|K3| Executive
Note they say they don't send an exact location, but that's still a location. It's more about them being about to track where you go and potentially predict where you will be based on a relative location. Maybe Apple wouldn't do that, but the gov. would if they confiscated the info.

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive
Why would anyone dislike that post?

I can tell you that if i was using that OS i would want to know information like this; "The company confirmed that anyone who uses Spotlight or iOS8 will have his data sent back to Apple servers in real time."

Not saying it's necessarily nefarious or exclusive to Apple, but i would want to be aware of it and then decide for myself.

Thumbs down to being informed, i guess.

Last edited:
Top Bottom