Lightning Strike

Kreubs

|K3|Minecraft Admin
|K3| Executive
So, as the title implies, we had a storm with some lightning flashing around. No big deal, right? Well....

Lightning had been flashing quite a bit outside, but after one particular flash I heard speakers crackling and fans grinding followed by the crack of thunder. I run over to my mom's computer to find it off, so I turn it back on to see if it posts. It does, so I turn it back off. My mom comes in later and tells me her computer won't start. After testing this and that, I swapped PSUs to rule out the power, but it still wouldn't post.

The irony of the situation was that is was the ONLY computer hooked up to a UPS and the ONLY one to die. The UPS made sparking sounds when I turned it on again, so it's probably dead too.
:bh::bh::bh::bh::bh:

I guess the moral of the story is unplug your stuff during a bad storm.

Last edited:

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive
That sucks. At least your Computer is ok, right?

Maybe you can take her hard drive out and salvage the contents?

and, lol "lightning had been flashing quite a bit outside quite a bit,"

Also, whats a UPS? Some kind of power surge protector?

Kreubs

|K3|Minecraft Admin
|K3| Executive
Oops, edit goof XD

Yeah, my PC has a built-in surge protector. I am going to test the hdd tomorrow, but I am confident it still works. I really hope the cpu & ram work, I could use them for another lower end rig (little bro XD).

UPS = uninterruptible power supply. This one had 2 modes: surge protection, and battery mode. It was set to battery, and a surge killed it AND the mobo. :|

Take

Flying Dutchman
|K3| Member
We had the craziest lightning-storm last week or so, never seen anyhing like it before (here in Amsterdam that is.) you sure your house wasn't hit by lightning?

Kreubs

|K3|Minecraft Admin
|K3| Executive
We had the craziest lightning-storm last week or so, never seen anyhing like it before (here in Amsterdam that is.) you sure your house wasn't hit by lightning?
Yeah, the sound came a couple seconds after the flash.

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
Won't you please think of the fish?

lightning-fish-800324.jpeg

Wait, the PC was originally off and it zapped it? :eek:

Infinity17

Sergeant
|K3| Member
i once saw lighting strike a tree and split it in half i was a young boy at the time so my fear of it still exsist

Kreubs

|K3|Minecraft Admin
|K3| Executive
It was only your Mom's machine that got zapped, right?
Yeah, the other two that were on didn't even flicker. It was an AM2+ mobo too... those aren't on the market anymore :mad:
Guess it's time for an upgrade.

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
Now your chance to build yourself a new PC and give your current one to your mom. DO ET!

PS. Buy hackintosh compatible parts for OS X goodness :D

Deluxx3

The Stig
|K3| Member
When I saw the title of this thread the first thing I thought was that you got struck by lightning! Whew good thing that everyone is okay.
Sorry to hear about the computer, but having the computer struck by lightnin is better than have your house struck by it (like my friend, and the house burnt down)

Top Bottom