My Sub $900 PC Build (Not Complete)

The Moment

|K3|Recruit Admin
|K3| Executive
First off, thank to everyone who helped me design this. I wanted to be as thrifty as possible without sacrificing graphics. With that said, here we go.

Here's the list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/9pbC4D

I will post pictures of the build as I start it. Also, it will be sub $900 when I get all the mail-in-rebates done.

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive
You could probably scale back that GPU and save some money. I found some nice ones on Newegg in the $200 range that can handle pretty much any game on ultra settings. (according to the reviews)

The Moment

|K3|Recruit Admin
|K3| Executive
You could probably scale back that GPU and save some money. I found some nice ones on Newegg in the $200 range that can handle pretty much any game on ultra settings. (according to the reviews)
I know that, but I really liked the way the 770 works and handles. That was my main piece to spend on.

Pugsport

Second Lieutenant
|K3| Member
a few things i would change are

1: - I would get a motherboard using the 990FX chipset to make the most of the 8 core processor.
2: - thats coolermaster cpu cooler as everyone i know with one and the reviews i have seen seem to say that theirs has really bad pump whine, even with a speed reducer it changes the tone of the whine. so if your after good performance with good sound levels the your better off with the corsair h80 or h100 or a good air cooler
3: - i would change the ram for some faster ram at least 1666mhz +
4: - i would also be tempted to change the hard drive to a western digital version as at the moment western digital are giving away extended service plans with most drives. so you get an year or two warranty and if the drive goes down in this time scale you just get a replacement drive not a repair and its shipped within 24 hours, so all in all its a win win situation

Kreubs

|K3|Minecraft Admin
|K3| Executive
Basically what Pug said.
By getting the 990FX together with a good water cooler, you could use AMD Overdrive to give yourself 4.5 GHz just because. You may be able to overclock even higher, but 500 on an 8 core is a decent OC.

The Moment

|K3|Recruit Admin
|K3| Executive
a few things i would change are

1: - I would get a motherboard using the 990FX chipset to make the most of the 8 core processor.
2: - thats coolermaster cpu cooler as everyone i know with one and the reviews i have seen seem to say that theirs has really bad pump whine, even with a speed reducer it changes the tone of the whine. so if your after good performance with good sound levels the your better off with the corsair h80 or h100 or a good air cooler
3: - i would change the ram for some faster ram at least 1666mhz +
4: - i would also be tempted to change the hard drive to a western digital version as at the moment western digital are giving away extended service plans with most drives. so you get an year or two warranty and if the drive goes down in this time scale you just get a replacement drive not a repair and its shipped within 24 hours, so all in all its a win win situation
Sub $900 PC Build

Most of what you're saying I already know. However it costs more. It was hard enough to buy in the first place (parents). If I could've found it for cheaper, I would definitely have gotten it.

Storky

Rawr
|K3| Moderator
Recruitment Team
SJ_400g-1.png

Kreubs

|K3|Minecraft Admin
|K3| Executive
But water cooler with and a mobo that has poor over-clocking support. y u do dis?

Joonikko

Shades, eternal shades.
|K3| Member
|K3| Media Team
Eh, the AIO water cooler doesn't seem worth the extra noise and multiple points of failure when a similarly priced tower air coolers perform the same.

The Moment

|K3|Recruit Admin
|K3| Executive
Based on the feedback I'm getting, I feel like my first ever computer build is bad.

Btw there's no changing the parts, as they've already been ordered and processed.

Kreubs

|K3|Minecraft Admin
|K3| Executive
Based on the feedback I'm getting, I feel like my first ever computer build is bad.

Btw there's no changing the parts, as they've already been ordered and processed.
The build isn't bad, it's just that there is really no reason in having a water cooler if you aren't going to be doing anything to cause higher temps like overclocking.

stevo

eh
Former Krew Member

nah you didn't make a bad purchase, this is mainly just peoples opinion not what you must buy. I have no clue why people are pushing you to overclock your CPU either, since you're not really a hardcore computer guy. Another thing is when you overclock you would need to run something like Prime95, monitor your CPU temps, check for stability, then adjust all your settings according to your outcome. So if you had no interest in learning on how to OC and potential dangers and how to properly check for stability then yes you made the proper choice. BTW this is a pretty decent build man, if you had extra money the only next best thing you could of done was go intel with faster memory.

Top Bottom