Server Downtime (May 27th) - 97% complete

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
Hi folks,

Plan on doing some changes tomorrow to the NY machine which will require a downtime of a few hours (2-6hrs). Don't wanna spill the beans as to what the change(s) are but here's a small hint:
hFA8EBF96

:D

Last edited:

Jana

Banana!
|K3|Super-Moderator
Recruitment Team
Hi folks,

Plan on doing some changes tomorrow to the NY machine which will require a downtime of a few hours (2-6hrs). Don't wanna spill the beans as to what the change(s) are but here's a small hint:
Cat-RAM1.jpg

:D

Hmm...I just imagined cat sounds on s1, e.g. if you jump down somewhere or shoot somebody....meow!

Whatever it is, I´m really curious :D

animal66

Second Lieutenant
Member of the Year
|K3|Super-Moderator
Hmm...I just imagined cat sounds on s1, e.g. if you jump down somewhere or shoot somebody....meow!

Whatever it is, I´m really curious :D
Well it doesn't take 2-6 hours to add some ram, so i'm guessing a new game type for the server. Just a guess of course.

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
Well it doesn't take 2-6 hours to add some ram, so i'm guessing a new game type for the server. Just a guess of course.
1st part's correct. 2nd, not so much. However, I am adding RAM which will allow us to run more games/gametypes.

animal66

Second Lieutenant
Member of the Year
|K3|Super-Moderator
1st part's correct. 2nd, not so much. However, I am adding RAM which will allow us to run more games/gametypes.

It's a shame we cant just get a ram stick sent somewhere and ask them to slot it in. I have an 8gb ddr3 server stick sitting here begging to be used (the wife thought she was doing me a favour but got the wrong ram)

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
It's a shame we cant just get a ram stick sent somewhere and ask them to slot it in. I have an 8gb ddr3 server stick sitting here begging to be used (the wife thought she was doing me a favour but got the wrong ram)
Indeed. I've been toying running a dedicated server from home but in the end I just don't have the bandwidth to pull the trigger. It's a crapshoot anyway since interwebs here cost an arm and a leg.

Storky

Rawr
|K3| Moderator
Recruitment Team
open 4 donations

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
Howdy folks,

What are the changes?
RAM upgrade: I've added another GB for a total of 3GB's on it now! We were at about 75-80% usage but I went ahead and added another GB so that we may add a few more games/gametypes as we please. Feel free to make suggestions. I for one would like to see Killing Floor again.
Cores: Added another core to the machine; we're up to 3 cores now.
HDD: Added another 100GB; we're up to 300GB. I'll try to find a creative way to use a good chunk of it.

Why such a long downtime?
I reformatted the whole machine. I tend to do this every 6-9 months to keep everything running smooth. As I have to start from scratch, I need to install quite a few programs. Some of these programs require a machine restart and rather than turning on a1 and doing random restarts (peeps would get annoyed), I felt it was necessary to just leave it down 'til restarts wouldn't be required. Although, I'm currently at 85% done, I believe I still need 1 or 2 more restarts but that can wait. All the servers will be back up in a few short minutes.

Any questions? As always, please report anything that might be broken. ie. redirect.

Last edited:

Storky

Rawr
|K3| Moderator
Recruitment Team
If i thought your computer would be able to use it, then that wouldn't be a problem. It's server ram mate, won't work in a standard desktop pc.
lol, oh. thanks anyway mate. i was only joking and wouldn't ask you for real.

Take

Flying Dutchman
|K3| Member
CARTOONSERVER! I did not read all, but this is what our ram should be used for. if so.

TheDude

Dudesicle
|K3| Member
Indeed. I've been toying running a dedicated server from home but in the end I just don't have the bandwidth to pull the trigger. It's a crapshoot anyway since interwebs here cost an arm and a leg.

gage already runs s1 from his house.

Kreubs

|K3|Minecraft Admin
|K3| Executive
Is there any way to get a BF3 server? Or does that have too many hoops to jump through.

Top Bottom