Steel's Truck Builds

SteelHorse

|KKK|Clash Expert
|K3| Member
I'm on a diesel forum and have been working a lot on my trucks lately. So i posted this build on the diesel forum and thought some of you might enjoy it as well. I typed it out for people that know a good bit about these trucks so srry if its a little confusing.

So drawing some inspiration from Colin7.3's build, which is awesome, I decided I would do something similar and document my build in here. Now bare with me because it may be a little slow. I am working as an EMT and going to college so time and money is few and far between.

A little History! I bought this 2001 4x4 7.3 F-350 the other day with 267K miles on it for 2K. Its in OK shape and the owner said that the engine had been recently overhauled but it wouldn't start and he wasn't sure why.

So we got it home and off the trailer which was a bit of a challenge in itself. Today we, me and a friend of mine who is even crazier than me, started looking over it and finally figured out it wasn't getting oil up to the HPOP. The guy that put the engine back together had used silicone, and way too much silicone, to seal the oil pump and it ended up blocking the oil. So after a fairly easy fix the truck is now running! Think i got a pretty good deal after such an easy fix!
IMG_0183_zps4002d28e.jpg

IMG_0187_zps49291f87.jpg

IMG_0190_zpsd339a2a5.jpg

So you may be wondering, what is so crazy about this build? And the answer to that is i'm taking the 7.3 engine and the 6 speed transmission out of the 01 truck and putting it in my old F-350, that i have been using since i was 13, and currently has the old gas 351w in it!
IMG_0195_zps5363f5a0.jpg
Then taking the body and chassis of the 01 and putting a 5.9 cummins engine and transmission in it, which i just got yesterday! So i will have a 01 7.3 in my 1994 350 and a cummins in my 01 350! First up though is getting the 351w out of my 94 and the 7.3 in its place, the cummins comes after.
I'm hoping to get my 94 350 looking like my current daily driver another 01 350 that i've built up pretty well imo.
IMG_0192_zps42aa52ef.jpg
It gets around 550HP and close to 900 lbs of torque from under there on the dyno. Hope you enjoy this, and feel free to post and give advice/ ask questions. :)

SteelHorse

|KKK|Clash Expert
|K3| Member
These two following posts are from that diesel forum i'm on and are over several different posts from there. I just copied and pasted from there. Yea so this is what i've been doing over the past month in my spare time...

So here's some pics of the progress.
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image.

Report this image
7.3 coming out of the 01!

Looks pretty good! Steel forged connecting rods were very good to see.

Report this image
351 coming out of the 94! Don't rlly know what to do with this engine. It still runs well, think it's got about 20-25K miles on it with a ford factory warranty. Any ideas? I can tell you that it's way to under powered for a F-350.

Report this image
The old core support off!

Report this image
"New" core support that will fit the larger 7.3 radiator. Going to have to have it painted white to match the rest of the truck. Also found some 3" exhaust tubing that i'm going to clean up and try to use for my intercooler/air intake tubing.

Report this image
Had to change out the motor mounts and did some fabricating on the crossmember and the 7.3 went right in. Pretty exciting moment.

All these pics are from my phone and not great but its better than nothing.
Now the hard part, the nightmare of hooking up the wiring/computers from the 94 351 to accept the 01 7.3. My head starts to hurt jst looking at it.[DOUBLEPOST=1391576602][/DOUBLEPOST]So a good portion of the wiring is done. What a nightmare! Worked on the fuel system conversion pretty much all day. Going from gas to diesel that is. Replaced the fuel pumps and the lines. Wasn't as hard as I thought it would be, but it was more time consuming, if that makes any sense.

Report this image
Front tank down. Also got rid of the old ghey exhaust.

Report this image
Back tank down! Also replaced the fuel inlet because of the different size diesel pumps. Almost forgot about that, facepalm, lol. By the end of the day the tanks were back up and some of the new fuel lines were in place. Even put 5 gallons of DIESEL into each tank, so glad to be done with gas. If all goes well she might get a test crank tmrw. Keeping my fingers crossed on that one. Don't rlly expect it to crank over the first time, but we'll see.
smile.gif

Last edited:

SteelHorse

|KKK|Clash Expert
|K3| Member
Got more work done today on the wiring system installed the starter, and even turned the engine over with the key which was pretty exciting.

Report this image
Tranny and transfer case mounted!

Report this image

Report this image
The wiring job...did I tell you it was a nightmare!?!?!?...lol

Report this image
Have 3 4x4 drive shafts. The one on the left is from the 01 F-350 the one in the middle is the one off the 94 F-350, and the one on the right is off a dodge. Hopefully between the three of these I can make what I need to get this truck rolling.

Report this image

Report this image
Just fun to see the 7.3 in there!

__________________[DOUBLEPOST=1391576730][/DOUBLEPOST]So today was a good day. After hooking up the injector computer we decided to try it out and this is what happened...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=XrC7oBfQb14

Top Bottom