Total RAM and Usable RAM?

Trasgu

Second Lieutenant
Former Krew Member
Ok so Ive been looking into this for a while but Im still not 100% sure I exactly understand what it means AND the internet is not the safest place to look into for answers. (Quite ironic Im asking here thought) Anyways, to make it short I have 6GB of RAM on my computer but only 2.8 of those are "usable".

Basicaly Im asking for a simple, straight foward explanation what does this mean and why does it happen.

Thanks in advance.

Joonikko

Shades, eternal shades.
|K3| Member
|K3| Media Team
What OS are you using?
If you're using 32-bit Windows, you'll only be able to use 4Gb of the memory installed.

From Wikipedia,
"A 32-bit register can store 232 different values. The signed range of integer values that can be stored in 32 bits is -2147483648 through 2147483647 (unsigned: 0 through 4,294,967,295). Hence, a processor with 32-bit memory addresses can directly access 4 GiB of byte-addressable memory."

A 64-bit register can store 264 (over 18 quintillion or 1.8×1019) different values. Hence, a processor with 64-bit memory addresses can directly access 264 bytes (=16 exbibytes) of byte-addressable memory.

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive
I always :LOL: at people who like to boast about having 16 or 32 or even 64gb of RAM. I'm sure some people need it, but i'd assume most don't. PC nerds seem content in spending tons of money just so they can brag online about their latest and greatest specs. As if anyone truly cares.

Kreubs

|K3|Minecraft Admin
|K3| Executive
I always :LOL: at people who like to boast about having 16 or 32 or even 64gb of RAM. I'm sure some people need it, but i'd assume most don't. PC nerds seem content in spending tons of money just so they can brag online about their latest and greatest specs. As if anyone truly cares.

I have 8 GB and I use it up all the time. Just ask Joona about how he manages his 16 GB :K

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
just so they can brag online about their latest and greatest specs.

epenis.gif

Sodalover

Second Lieutenant
|K3| Member
Speaking of ram, I'm really surprised the cost for 16 gb of ram is close to 140$. I thought it would be much less, or am I looking in the wrong places?

PrestoN

sherifolocodoco
|K3| Moderator
Speaking of ram, I'm really surprised the cost for 16 gb of ram is close to 140$. I thought it would be much less, or am I looking in the wrong places?

Around Christmas(if in the US) you'd probably be able to pick up that for around 80-100 pretty easily. I got 8 gb for $40 I believe, so buy another set of the 2 x 4gb sticks and you're all good.

Joonikko

Shades, eternal shades.
|K3| Member
|K3| Media Team
How would yo do that on xp or w7? Would the speed difference be huge like hdd vs ssd?

RAM is volatile memory, which means that if the power for the system is lost, the data will be lost, so installing applications etc. to a ramdisk wouldn't make sense.
You can use ramdisk as a temporary storage for random files, browser cache or just as a download drive.

I personally like ImDisk software, it's open-source and doesn't have a size limitation.

MO2wnXL.png

mVF9Pzv.png

HDD benchmark
UCYgvvi.png

ramdisk benchmark
NHl4jAm.png

As you can see, ramdisk is much faster compared to a regular HDD or even to a fast SSD.

You can get a slight performance boost by moving browser cache files to a ramdisk, but the difference won't be drastic. My suggestion would be to get an SSD and have the cache files linked to a ramdisk to reduce the amount of writes to the SSD and thus increasing the lifespan of the flash cells in the SSD.

Other possible usecases:
- handling large files, (RAW format images etc.)
- compressing / extracting files (ZIP, RAR, etc.)
- temporary download drive, useful for exe and DMG files you'll delete anyway.

Here's how to move your browser cache files to a ramdisk.

Easy method.

1. Download Link Shell extension
2. Create the ramdisk with ImDisk
3. Create a folder inside the ramdisk
4. Right click the folder and select "Pick link source"
5. Navigate to the browser cache directory (directories for Firefox and Chromium included below & it shouldn't be too hard to find it for your specific browser)
6. Delete the original cache folder
7. Right click & select "Drop as..:" symbolic link

Now start your browser and now the cache files should be written to the ramdisk.

"Hard" method.
The command for creating a symbolic link via command prompt is the following:
mklink [[/D] | [/H] | [/J]] linkName target

/D – Creates a directory symbolic link. Default is a file symbolic link.
/H – Creates a hard link instead of a symbolic link.
/J – Creates a Directory Junction.
linkName – Specifies the new symbolic link name.
target – Specifies the path (relative or absolute) that the new link refers to. Enclose with quotation marks if the path contains spaces, etc.

For example, the command for "redirecting" the cache files for Chromium from the HDD to the ramdisk (in this case Y:\ drive) would be like this:
mklink /d "%userprofile%\AppData\Local\Chromium\User Data\Default\Cache" "Y:\"

Common browser cache directories
(note that the parts highlighted with red may vary & also I was a bit lazy to look up the directory for every browser, sorry.)
Firefox: %userprofile%\AppData\Local\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\[?].default\Cache
Chromium: %userprofile%\AppData\Local\Chromium\User Data\Default\Cache

Last edited:
Top Bottom