Bootcamp question

Sodalover

Second Lieutenant
|K3| Member
Quick questions about bootcamp:

Does the installation wizard guide you step by step?

Can I install a bootleg version of windows 7? I don't have a lot of money right now.

If I botched the installation, will my data on the OS X be okay, or can they become corrupted?

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
Quick questions about bootcamp:

Does the installation wizard guide you step by step?

Can I install a bootleg version of windows 7? I don't have a lot of money right now.

If I botched the installation, will my data on the OS X be okay, or can they become corrupted?

I don't recall the last time I did a bootcamp install but it wasn't hard at all. Pretty sure 7's install is much easier than XP.

Yes, you can install a bootleg version. It'll still ask you to activate it unless you use one of those activators ;)

All your data will be OK.

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
So if I have a windows 7 code, Im fine? I might have one from my broken laptop.

Yes, but during activation it will more than likely ask you to call Microsoft to :quote:verify:quote: the product key. All they're trying to do is make sure the key is only being used on 1 PC at any given time. However, if you go through the phone call, you can install it on multiple PC's. The process takes no more than 5 minutes. I'm used to the process now and can do it in 2.5-3 minutes. XD The machine will ask you 2 questions, and I believe one of them is a 'Yes' and the other is '1'. The 1 telling them how many PC's have that key installed.

What I recommend is installing Windows 7, wait a few days and making sure everything is squared away. Then activate Win7. No point in activating and only to find out you'll have to reinstall the OS. You have 30 days anyway.

And if you're hesitant on calling Microsoft, I'll do it for you. Just make sure to select USA as the toll-free number, and take a screenshot of it. This is the screen I'm talking about:
activation.jpg

So as long as you give me that, I'll call MS and I'll get you the numbers required for A through H.

Sodalover

Second Lieutenant
|K3| Member
Thank you Wally, but I think I won't have to go through with it anymore since I got my PC back.

Top Bottom