Why Am I Lagging?

Jack Kerouac

Private First Class
Hi Everyone

If I'm posting in the wrong place or there's an easy how to, apologies in advance. I'm just a bit slow.

I used to have a great connection for online gameplay. Now I'm lagging like crazy.

It always happens the same way – smooth as silk for five minutes, then the lag starts.

I had the problem with my old internet provider, which I recently changed and the problem is present with new provider.

Could it be my five-year old MacBook Pro? Only, until fairly recently it worked fine.

Any thoughts, humungously appreciated.

Cheers

The Moment

|K3|Recruit Admin
|K3| Executive
The easiest thing that I can think of is that if you're playing off of wifi, your router could be shot. My router at home had the same problem until I replaced it. The random CIs that I got are non-existent.

Also, if your MacBook Pro is 5 years old, it could be just on the edge of being able to run CoD. If your lag is FPS based, it's probably your computer. If it's internet based, then check your router and your new provider.

Take

Flying Dutchman
|K3| Member
It's not you MBP, I pwn Moment and others easy on mine (2010 or 9).

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive
Do your games lag in single player as well? If so, it might not be an internet issue.

If the lag is only in MP, i dk. I don't know much about networking.

You can open cmd prompt (or the mac equivalent) and check for packet loss or something. Maybe flush the DNS cache, check router settings. Also, bypass the router if possible and plug straight into the modem. If that solves the issue, it's the router. Use Google for fixes.

Jack Kerouac

Private First Class
Thanks for the replies, guys. I'm pretty sure the games won't be lagging in single player, but I don't have original disks any more, so can't be sure.
Can't see it as an age of Mac issue (5 years) because it was working perfectly until a couple of months ago.

It's so weird - works smooth as silk for, like, five minutes, then starts lagging…

Could be a wifi issue I guess. Might try getting closer to the device, or plugging in directly. Any other thoughts appreciated.

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive
RAM wouldn't make sense to me since everything was running well and then all of a sudden not. I would assume he has the same amount of RAM as he did before. I guess one stick could have died or something, but he would probably be seeing reduced performance all across the board from that. I would assume anyway.

I would really try and find a single player version of the game(s) that lag and see if it happens there. Once you start eliminating possible causes, it will make troubleshooting much easier. Go :pirate: a game if you need to.

Also, use :google:. That is a big resource and many people have or have had this issue at some point.

Last edited:
Top Bottom