Windows Phone 8 Flop?

PwnSauce

Banned
Check this article out: http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/09/05/us-nokia-microsoft-idUSBRE88400620120905

Why is it, do you think, that Windows fails so miserably at the mobile phone market?

Some reason I was thinking about:
1. They're fuzty old microsoft. Why would I want a Windows phone?
2. The OS sucks? (Haven't tried it myself.)
3. Nokia hardware sucks? (Never seen one)
4. If it's not Apple or Android people don't want it?

What do you think?

Joe Momma

First Lieutenant
Former Krew Member
Check this article out: http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/09/05/us-nokia-microsoft-idUSBRE88400620120905

Why is it, do you think, that Windows fails so miserably at the mobile phone market?

Some reason I was thinking about:
1. They're fuzty old microsoft. Why would I want a Windows phone?
2. The OS sucks? (Haven't tried it myself.)
3. Nokia hardware sucks? (Never seen one)
4. If it's not Apple or Android people don't want it?

What do you think?

I personally think windows 8 is a good OS. I have used it, and it really works great. Everything is extremely fast and fluid. But it's not my thing. Us heavy end users don't like being locked into a certain UI. Hence why I don't like iOS as much anymore. For the normal end user I think Windows phone could grow and take over a decent market.

Joonikko

Shades, eternal shades.
|K3| Member
|K3| Media Team
1. Interesting and original design (unlike some other manufacturers, *cough* Samsung *cough*)
2. The OS works and is fluid
3. How can you say that Nokia hardware sucks if you've never seen or used one? (The polycarbonate they use feels 10x more solid than the plastic Samsung uses in their phones)
4. The hardware and software is good, people want it.
Also it could turn into a trend thing since they have the phones in cool colours (cyan, yellow etc.)

Joe Momma

First Lieutenant
Former Krew Member
1. Interesting and original design (unlike some other manufacturers, *cough* Samsung *cough*)
2. The OS works and is fluid
3. How can you say that Nokia hardware sucks if you've never seen or used one? (The polycarbonate they use feels 10x more solid than the plastic Samsung uses in their phones)
4. The hardware and software is good, people want it.
Also it could turn into a trend thing since they have the phones in cool colours (cyan, yellow etc.)

Really hope samsung starts using polycarbonate.

JohnSmith

Corporal
Windows OS sucks, apple OS is the way to go. =D

What are you going to do with "all" your apps for that phone? All....10 of them :LOL:

Joonikko

Shades, eternal shades.
|K3| Member
|K3| Media Team
Windows OS sucks, apple OS is the way to go. =D

What are you going to do with "all" your apps for that phone? All....10 of them :LOL:

* Windows Phone 8
* iOS

If you're going to bash anything, at least get the names right.
ffs.
:fail:

JohnSmith

Corporal
lol OS stands for "operating system", so I don't need to be specific about which operating system I'm talking about, since windows phone 8 was being discussed and apple has only one operating system for the phone. :bitchslap:

ponyboy

|KKK|'s Pony
|K3| Member
i saw this phone at rogers and its pretty thick and its screen isnt as big as the SIII

Sodalover

Second Lieutenant
|K3| Member
The blocky icons of W8 seems like oversized icons for iOS. Plus, it's pretty hard to be revolutionary in a game that was started by Apple, and now they are only catching up to them.

Nikon

カメラマン
|K3| Member
Windows Phone 8 doesn't even look remotely similar to iOS... Its hard to be revolutionary in a game that Apple didn't start when they sue you for "Copyright Infringement" over the most ambiguous things.

Last edited:

Sodalover

Second Lieutenant
|K3| Member
^??? They sued, that's a dip shit move, no argument. But how can you say Apple didn't start the touch smartphone trend? I'm sure there were touch smartphone before iPhone, but it was the one that revolutionize the industry (for better or worse, you decide)

Nikon

カメラマン
|K3| Member
Sure, maybe it was revolutionary when it first came out but that was over 5 years ago and the latest models leave much to be desired. Now days Apple is probably one of the least revolutionary companies around. All of their selfish "copyright claims" are hindering innovation. Windows Vista was a flop but Microsoft got it right with Windows 7 and WP 7 was the beginning of what I think is a comeback for them in the mobile market. I can see Microsoft gaining more ground with the arrival of WP 8. While Samsung and Motorola have been busy bickering over stupid copyrights with Apple, Nokia has at least been trying to be innovative with WP and there own OS. They even put a stinking 41 mp camera in a phone! It's way too soon to say that WP 8 is a flop being that it just came out, give it some time for it to arrive on more devices.

foetoeshop

Private First Class
I am affraid windows 8 will be treated like windows media center. Ahhh, What is windows media center? Exactly.

Sgt.Fishy

Sergeant
|K3| Member
Hmmm...let's see if I can answer any of these.

1. They're fuzty old microsoft. Why would I want a Windows phone?: Well, if you are very focused on your XBOX and like the Windows phones (which run okay but not so great), then it's good for you..but you can just download an XBOX app and check everything out.
2. The OS sucks? (Haven't tried it myself.): The OS is okay, but the market for it is VERY little. Too little.
3. Nokia hardware sucks? (Never seen one): The hardware is fine, not to mention the build of the phones, but personally I didn't like it, looked way too under-thought. Too simple.
4. If it's not Apple or Android people don't want it?: This could be a very good argument, but it is a Windows phone. It isn't meant to really go against iOS or Android, iOS has a huge market and a huge want for their phones, and Google (Android) runs almost on EVERY single phone..seriously I haven't seen any phone that doesn't run Android besides iPhones or Windows phones. I wouldn't want it because it reminds me too much of iOS, in which I felt locked in, and Android gives me so many choices that I looked passed it. Plus, they never advertise their phones...not even Radio Shack, Best Buy, or even AT&T wanted to sell me a Windows phone. It's mainly iOS or Android, since the market is the best.

Top Bottom