Visual Basic Minecraft Server Tool (Need help developing)

boardinggamer

Private First Class
I hope this is the right place for this.

SO, I am making a Minecraft Server tool for my own use using Visual Basic 2010. I have the basic layout made but I don't know the code for it. I was wondering if anyone on here knew VB and could help me make this. Credit will go to who ever helps me and I will only take credit for what I did. I would like to use it to study the code as well so if you decide to help you can add comments in it explaining it as well and that would be AMAZING!!!!

This is what I have for the look
server tool v1.jpg

Freeze

Second Lieutenant
Former Krew Member
There are quite some good server managers out there, I personally use BSM, Bukkit Server Manager. Unless you really want to make your own manager.

boardinggamer

Private First Class
I have seen some good ones but yeah I want to make my own XD because I am going to study it and then add it to support multiple game servers that I use.

Kreubs

|K3|Minecraft Admin
|K3| Executive
This requires quite a bit of communication with the server and is a bit more on the intermediate/advanced side of things. I don't know if VB would be the best language to use because, well, it's basic. Jumping right into all of the code for all of the functions would be quite difficult to understand if you don't know much about the language already. Java and Python would probably be better languages to use for a server manager. As Freez said, there are many good server managers out there, but hey, if you want to make one and you have the time and expertise, I say go for it. XD Ithink it would be cool to work on one of those but I don't know VB. I am learning C++ and Python though XD

boardinggamer

Private First Class
I have seen some in VB and its not to hard if you can get the console to work because most of it is just reading files and sending commands to the console. as long as you have access to that console it will work easily. but thats what I need help with =O I have no idea how to get that part to work.

Kreubs

|K3|Minecraft Admin
|K3| Executive
Reading files is a piece of cake and I guess I sort of over thought it at first lol. I was thinking remote communication with the server console o_O but I guess local communication would be much, much simpler. I think this would be fun to make and I think I would try my hand at it but I can't until school is out :( I don't finish with exams until early July :eeewww: but if you don't find anyone else by then I could probably try. I would have to learn some VB first, though (not that difficult) :p

boardinggamer

Private First Class
Reading files is a piece of cake and I guess I sort of over thought it at first lol. I was thinking remote communication with the server console o_O but I guess local communication would be much, much simpler. I think this would be fun to make and I think I would try my hand at it but I can't until school is out :( I don't finish with exams until early July :eeewww: but if you don't find anyone else by then I could probably try. I would have to learn some VB first, though (not that difficult) :p

I have it almost done...All I need is to get it to start the server and get it to be able to send things to the server. also the online players thing, I have to find a way to get that to work. I may make a special bukkit plugin for that to work.

stevo

eh
Former Krew Member
Kreubs your link is to code that only starts and terminate and application on your own machine has nothing to do with networking lol anyways your probably gonna have to use sockets if you want to do this and you are gonna need library's http://wiki.vg/Library_List to access Minecraft calls. I would rather help you do this in C++ or C# over VB . Do you have a minecraft server I could try to connect to? You can either use Visual C++ or Vsual C# to do this the interface is similar to what you already did in VB well all 3 can use .NET.

Kreubs

|K3|Minecraft Admin
|K3| Executive
Kreubs your link is to code that only starts and terminate and application on your own machine has nothing to do with networking lol anyways your probably gonna have to use sockets if you want to do this and you are gonna need library's http://wiki.vg/Library_List to access Minecraft calls. I would rather help you do this in C++ or C# over VB . Do you have a minecraft server I could try to connect to? You can either use Visual C++ or Vsual C# to do this the interface is similar to what you already did in VB well all 3 can use .NET.

I know it doesn't. From what I gathered, he wanted to start it locally. I would help with C++ but I have exams until July :(

stevo

eh
Former Krew Member
Well lets clear up a few things, boardinggamer are you trying to create a client where you connect to an existing server? or are you trying to build a server to host? Either way the easiest way might be to use C# (microsoft language), I found some decent documentation using LibMinecraft and you could make your template in Visual C# instead and I could fill in the code for you. Locally or not its still the same code

boardinggamer

Private First Class
it should open a server thats on the computer. But I like the sound of that let me check out the C# thing. do you have skype?

EDIT: Ok I made it in C# if you have skype or something I can send you the files. Although one day I want to know how to code in all the C's XD thats my goal

Last edited:

stevo

eh
Former Krew Member
you have steam or xfire? both of them are same name add me if you have either one username is stevo5800

Top Bottom