How to set up MSI Afterburner for Auto Fan Speed Control

BluBirD78

Master of BluballZ
|K3| Member
Ok this is for the people that want to set up MSI Afterburner to control your fan(s) automatically, this will only be for the fan speeds, the rest like overclocking and all is up to you ;)

The first thing after you install is open the program, and you'll see a screen like the one below...

http://postimage.org/image/19uj68sv8/

Now you want to click on your settings and then click on the "Fan" tab at the top, like it shows below. Check the "enable user defined" and set your points for your fan speeds, the bottom is your gpu temps and the left is your fan speed in percent. If you look at mine you can see that my lowest point is set to 25% fan speed at 50C, and my highest is set to 100% fan speed at 70C. Now with the line from bottom to top being linear like it is, the speed will gradually increase or decrease based on the temperature your gpu is set at.

Also, below the graph is the update period for the fan, on mine it's set to 5000 ms which equals 5 seconds. This means that when the temperature changes the fan speed will stay on the set speed for 5 seconds, you can change this but I would have at least a 1 second period because if you do a low amount, say 100 ms your fan speed will be bouncing up and down constantly all the time. Ok when all that is done click ok and go back to your main program.

Now you must do this for it to work right, go to where your Fan Speed (%) is at the bottom and make sure the Auto is checked (green dot) and that the entire selection is outlined in green (click the user define to enable or disable). After that is done you have to click apply at the bottom to make the changes, or they won't stick.

Hope this helps some of you guys out that have heating issues with your graphics cards (like Wally :lmao:), comments and suggestions are always welcomed! ;)

Last edited:

No Mercy

Master Sergeant
|K3| Member
|K3| Media Team
So wait.. You can turn your fan speed up even if theyre any brand of coolers or what?

BluBirD78

Master of BluballZ
|K3| Member
I'm not sure on that Mercy, I know it works with ATI and Nvidia but I don't know about other video cards. If you want to try it, and if it was me I would just download it and see if it works with your card, if not I'm not sure what else to tell you... :(

BriAn79

Second Lieutenant
Former Krew Member
Yeah blu's very good at things like this! The MSI afterburner program is really nice to have. :D
Nice post man! :hi5:

Top Bottom