Would this work...

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
I'll be building my PC in a few weeks but I'd like to knock this scenario out before I do any hard drive purchases.

I'd like to have 2 hard drives. 1 for whatever OS's I plan to run and the other HD for purely media; music, videos, pics, that sort of thing.

Now, would I be able to look at the 2nd hard drive when I'm using the 1st hard drive? Kind of like, I open iTunes and it'll look for the music in the 2nd hard drive.

What would I need to do in order to make that work? Thanks for the help!

Mr.Rippie

Corporal
it should...
it will probably detect it as a new hard drive but u should be able to get/put files on it....
it will come up under the computer file and be called hard drive disks....
my PC has 2 hard drives (most do, or at least one external) one normal and one backup...
be sure to backup all your files before trying this casue idk for sure if it works but its worth a shot

Post Merge: [time]1267739317[/time]

..and also there is a way to make itunes search another hard drive for music

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive
I dont have two hard drive internally but i have one internal and one external. When i plug in the external it just reads as K drive under my computer right along side the C drive. I can then move files around all i want from C to K or K to C while being in either one. Blu has two HDD's internally on his cpu so he could tell you more but i think its pretty similar. Also here is a great link for questions like this.

http://www.topbits.com/

BluBirD78

Master of BluballZ
|K3| Member
Yea Wally you can read both of them, I'm not sure if you are talking about using windows or mac (I noticed your OS saying Mac)

Below is a picture of what mine shows in windows XP, Actually Damage is right about me having 2 internal drives but one of them has XP (C and D), and the other has Linux so when I am on XP it does not show my Linux drive since XP doesn't "see" Linux without using a 3rd party software program.

See I have a C: drive and D: drive, well both of these are actually one hard drive, I have it partitioned and have windows on C and my media stuff on D. Now the E drive is my external drive but it is the same as having it inside the case (connected via esata), no difference there, but they will show up under hard disk drives in My Computer (I believe in XP and Vista are the same)

Does this answer your question? If not let me know what I'll find out whatever I can :D

[attachment deleted by admin]

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
See, I have the exact setup currently. 1 hard drive, 2 partitions. Leopard recognizes and sees XP but not vice-versa. I got an external drive but I store all my stuff there and don't want to have it connected and on 24/7.

What I want is to try and make it easier so that I don't have to have 2 sets of media so whenever I'm on XP I can listen to music and the same goes for Leopard. I currently use Leopard 90% of the time so that's where I have all my media. Plus, it'll make it easier whenever I need to format my PC.

Does that make sense?

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
XP wont recognize the partition and I'd rather not use programs to do so.

Leopard recognizes it without a hitch though, take take you damn Windows fan boys lol :p

Pugsport

Second Lieutenant
|K3| Member
windows will let you use the other hd to play music from yes and you can also go into the other hd and look at photos or what ever is on there while running windows from hd one.

i have 3 internal hard drives (C, D and E) and 2 hot swap hard drives and windows xp or windows vista will let me look at all drives

AVC

Banned
Don't forget to back up your 2nd drive too.

Drives are so cheap these days.

I've got a 4 drive RAID as my main drive. I hate data loss.

Top Bottom