‘Band Of Brothers’ Inspiration Dies At Age 92

517Houston

|KKK| Gaming Legend
|K3| Member
Richard_Winters.jpg

HERSHEY, Pa. (AP) — Maj. Richard “Dick” Winters, the man whose quiet leadership was chronicled in the book and television miniseries “Band of Brothers,” has died.
Winters died Jan. 2 in central Pennsylvania, a family friend confirmed Monday. Winters was 92.
In September 1944, Winters led 20 men in a successful attack on 200 German soldiers. He and his men later helped hold the Bastogne area during the Battle of the Bulge.
The exploits of Winters and the other members of Easy Company were chronicled in the Stephen Ambrose book “Band of Brothers” and later the HBO miniseries of the same name. Winters also published a memoir in 2006 entitled “Beyond Band of Brothers.”
Winters was buried in a private funeral. Arrangements for a public memorial service are pending.

Read more about him HERE

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive
Band of Brothers is my favorite miniseries of all time. I also have a few books written by Ambrose.

The Pacific was also a great HBO miniseries. Done by the same people who made Band of Brothers - Tom hanks and S. Spielberg.

Later that day-(D-Day), Winters led an attack that destroyed a battery of German 105 mm howitzers which were firing onto the causeways that served as the principal exits from Utah Beach. The guns were defended by approximately one platoon of fifty German troops, while Winters had only thirteen men. This action south of the village of Le Grand-Chemin is often referred to as the Brécourt Manor Assault. The attack is still taught at the military academy at West Point as an example of a textbook assault on a fixed position. In addition to destroying the battery, Winters also obtained a map detailing all German defenses in the Utah Beach area.

He was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross for this assault.

The airborne suffered three casualties, including one dead

Last edited:

517Houston

|KKK| Gaming Legend
|K3| Member
Dan I agree with you, One of the best mini series ever

This says it all about the man::

winters.gif

Distinguished Service Cross
Bronze Star with one Oak Leaf Cluster
Purple Heart
Presidential Unit Citation with one Oak Leaf Cluster
American Defense Service Medal
National Defense Service Medal
European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign Medal with 3 service stars and arrow device
World War II Victory Medal
Army of Occupation Medal
Croix de guerre with palm
French Liberation Medal
Oorlogskruis with palm
Belgian WWII Service Medal
Combat Infantryman Badge
Parachutist Badge with 2 combat stars
Medal of the City of Eindhoven

The Moment

|K3|Recruit Admin
|K3| Executive
This guy what the definition of a hero. I can't think of anyone who was more selfless to his cause than him. 'Easy Company' has such a great story that will be remembered for years.

Top Bottom