Pick one or don't comment

• Stop mkin stupid fkin polls ppl

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

TheDude

Dudesicle
|K3| Member
"im ghey"

nick houston courteously expressed his desire to have a poll with this option, so here it is.

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
Re: "im ghey"

ummm.... WTF??

ghey.jpg

Caveadsum

The Merchant of Venom
|K3| Legend

it's a way of saying gay without offending gays. So why ghey is less offensive then gay when they mean practically the same thing beats me. I had to google it a few months ago myself because I didn't get it.

MasterCLiP

Resident Brony
Former Krew Member

I just thought it was one of those words that was created on the Internet like pwned and interwebz

TheDude

Dudesicle
|K3| Member

Ghey is less offensive because thats how its used colloquially. The meaning and connotation of a word is determined by whatever people think it does, and what effect it has in its use. The use of gay as a negative or insulting adjective, i am assuming, came about, initially, due to the homophobia that was more common years ago. So in that case, i'm guessing the connection that the word implies between "homosexual" and "bad" was understood in its use. Whether those specifics are true or not is not the point. Now, instead of gay meaning "you are homosexual, therefore you are bad in some way," gay, used in the sense of an insult, has its own negative meaning. The evolution of its meaning and its separation from whatever original connotation it had is comparable to why "ghey," though it is derived from an obvious insult, does not carry that same connotation. If people started to use gay to mean "good," then that's what it would mean. Dictionaries are defined by the generally understood meanings of words, not the other way around.

BORING :p :p :p

Top Bottom