|K3| Member
|K3| Media Team
Brussels attack

22_3%20kartta%20Bryssel%20lentokenttä.png

- 3 explosions have killed 34 people & left 202 injured
- Zaventem airport explosion killed 14 and injured 96
- Maelbeek subway station explosion killed 20 and injured 106
- terror organisation ISIS has claimed the attacks
- subway-, railway- & bus traffic has been suspended and people are suggested to stay inside.

of[/i]explosionsatbrussels_airport/d18w5tn]Reddit update by TWanderer

From Belgian national radio: 'Government source' says it was a terrorist attack. Police sources talk about casualties.

- 9:10 CET: radio now reports that possibly a third bomb was found at the airport
- 9:13: entire Belgium now in highest terror level (4). All other airports closed off.
- 9:17: ring road around brussels will be closed off soon
- 9:18: central train station in Brussels is being evacuated according to national radio
- 9:19: it seems it's the metro station connected to the central train station
- 9:20: 1-20 casualties reported by national radio
- 9:22: french-speaking radio now report EXPLOSIONS in METRO. Multiple people exiting metro with bloody faces
- 9:25: people are reporting smoke next to metro station:https://twitter.com/PaulineArmandet/status/712192021516165122
- 9:29: live feed belgian national television now contains reports about metro attack. It's station Maalbeek in Brussels.
- 9:31: another tweeted image: https://twitter.com/GillesKLEIN/status/712192847684968448
- 9:32: all metro stations in Brussels will be CLOSED
- 9:34: there is now an official emergency number: 02 506 4711
- 9:37: apparently metro station Schumann is also affected. Both of these metro stations are in the European quarter of Brussels.
- 9:40: I have to go now. Might keep updating, but more sporadically
- 9:54: latest reports 13 deaths [EDIT], more than 30 severely wounded. A university in Brussels is being evacuated (ULB)
- 10:24: just heard a report that people have to walk on the tracks to get out of metro station in Brussels
- 10:25: Belgian officials are asking for not to use cell phone in Brussels, but to use social media instead.
- 10:30: Brussels airport closed at least until 6am Wednesday
- 10:37: Red cross Belgium has made website for people to find each other in Brussels: \http://ikbenveilig.rodekruis.nl/brussel
- 10:40: apparently central station in Antwerp is being evacuated atm
- 10:43: officials are asking people in Brussels to stay where they are
- 11:00: from radio news: more and more official buildings in Brussels are being evacuated
- 11:00: one explosion at airport was suicide bomber, second one was bomb package
- 11:00: all public transport in Brussels has been shutdown
- 11:00: schools in Brussels and Flanders are asking to keep everybody inside
- 11:08: Belgian prime minister is planning a press conference
- 11:10: belgian mobile phone network provider are again asking not to use phone network in Brussels.
- 11:16: car tunnels in Brussels being closed, strict checks at Belgian/French border
- 11:18: central station in Antwerp is open again
- 11:23: Facebook has activated safety check for Brussels: https://www.facebook.com/safetycheck/brusselsexplosions-march2016/
- 11:27: Belgian report says there might have been explosion near parlement now
- 11:28: 225 extra soldiers are being sent to Brussels
- 11:34: Belgian radio now says explosion near parliament was a controlled explosion by police.
- 11:41: live press conference prime minister is starting
- 11:42: PM confirms two attacks: airport and Maalbeek metro station. Extra security by military.
- 11:47: PM repeats emergency number: 1771
- 11:50: From press conference: attack Maalbeek happened 30 min after airport
- 12:26: Paris will project colors Belgian flag on Eiffel tower tonight
- 12:34: Hashtag if you want to help people in brussels by for example giving them a ride: #ikwilhelpen
- 12:36: officials are asking people on the VUB university campus Etterbeek to immediately go inside
- 12:46: person replying to this comment claims to be at the prison where Salah Abdeslam is being held (Bruges), and reports about a bomb threat in that prison. https://www.reddit.com/r/worldnews/comments/4bgfx5/reportsofexplosionsatbrussels_airport/d1904xu
- 13:00: Bomb threat in prison Bruges seems to have been a false alarm: http://www.nieuwsblad.be/cnt/dmf20160322_02196377
- 13:06: ULB university is asking to evacuate campus: https://www.facebook.com/ulbruxelles/
- 13:16: from Belgian national radio: 14 deaths at airport, 20 in metro station
- 13:16: also message on radio: officials ask NOT TO SHARE any information about current police actions (like when people see the police chasing a suspect)
- 13:27: national television gives some advice on how to inform children about such terrible news (in Dutch): http://deredactie.be/polopolyfs/1.2608448!image/1969294957.jpggen/derivatives/landscape670/1969294957.jpg
- 13:34: officials ask to avoid streaming music or videos in Brussels to minimise internet congestion.
- 13:37: reporter in Antwerp of Belgian national radio claims police says central station in Antwerp was never evacuated
- 13:49: radio asks people around VUB campus not to panic, explosion heard was a control explosion by bomb squad
- 14:00: warnings by officials that bomb squad is going to perform controlled explosion at Brussels airport: https://twitter.com/CrisiscenterBE/status/712260892566687744
- 14:12: from commercial television feed, Tihange nuclear power plant (1 of 2 nuclear power plants in Belgium) is being evacuated. Not sure how confirmed this is. http://nieuws.vtm.be/binnenland/183595-aanslagen-metro-en-op-zaventem
- 14:20: looks like this entire thread was locked ...
- 14:25: really mods/admins, was this lock really necessary ?
- 14:36: am going on with this thread here: https://www.reddit.com/r/worldnews/comments/4bggag/twoexplosionsatbrusselsairport/d193937
- 15:19: thread unlocked again. Copy-pasting from other thread:
- 14:35 CET: Belgian national radio reports officials are asking to evacuate all non essential personnel from nuclear power plants
- 14:51: will start with repeating this warning: officials ask NOT TO SHARE any information about current police actions (like when people see the police chasing a suspect)
- 14:52: As I mentioned in one of the comments. The press person mentioned that the evacuation procedure in the nuclear power plants is triggered mostly to increase security, not necessarily because of an immediate threat. https://twitter.com/cemacorg/status/712267453783523329
- 14:54: Also repeating the contact number for people in Belgium 1771
- 14:57: Stations in Brussels will open at 4pm http://deredactie.be/cm/vrtnieuws/Livecenter/1.2607821?eid=p1_2608639-e7d1e011
- 15:03 More specifics about previous item from Belgian national radio. The 'main' train stations in Brussels will open at 4pm.
- 15:05 Also from national radio news: the St Pieters hospital has no need for blood donors at the moment, but ask people to come back at the end of the week.
- 15:10 Ghent mayor says extra security measures will be implemented in the coming days.

Sources

- Reddit thread at r/worldnews: Reports of explosions at Brussels airport
- The Guardian: Brussels explosions: multiple casualties after airport and metro attacks – live
- RT: 14 dead, dozens injured in suicide attack at Brussels airport
- BBC: Brussels attacks: At least 31 dead at Zaventem and Maelbeek

BluBirD78

Master of BluballZ
|K3| Member
I think we all saw it coming. It's probably not going to be the last attack either.

One of the times I agree with Take lol, no offense man ;) When the borders are wide open and you let these type of people in without knowing who they are, it will happen and I agree with Take, it'll happen again. To make it clear, I'm not against Muslims but the religion of Islam teaches radicalism, and these people are taught not to integrate with the societies within the countries they enter, so these things can certainly be expected. I believe it will also happen here in America with more frequency until our borders are secure and we know who is coming in, sadly I don't see that happening...

Sgt.Fishy

Sergeant
|K3| Member
One of the times I agree with Take lol, no offense man ;) When the borders are wide open and you let these type of people in without knowing who they are, it will happen and I agree with Take, it'll happen again. To make it clear, I'm not against Muslims but the religion of Islam teaches radicalism, and these people are taught not to integrate with the societies within the countries they enter, so these things can certainly be expected. I believe it will also happen here in America with more frequency until our borders are secure and we know who is coming in, sadly I don't see that happening...

Such things can happen with ANY religion. Let it be Islam, Judaism, or even Christianity. All 3 do not like each other, let us be honest here. We, as a whole, know certain groups of people are going to different countries, doing stunts like this and we all act like it wasn't going to happen. There is nothing wrong with closing borders. To ensure the safety of their people should be the first thought of the government. Why not let other Islamic controlled countries do something about it? Saudi Arabia? Nope. Pakistan? Nada. Turkey? Hell no. None of them are helping at all. It's a cluster fuck at what is happening in the M.E. and it seriously sucks. My parents told me of the stories of when they were growing up in Iran, when bombs were falling and they had to stay inside. Sounded pretty brutal, but we can't ruin the security of nations just to help someone out.

TL;DR

I agree with Blu, except that I believe all religions teach radicalism, not just Islam.

Take

Flying Dutchman
|K3| Member
These people were born and raised in Europe..
[DOUBLEPOST=1458723311][/DOUBLEPOST]Its just that these muslim societies are so closed off from the rest of the society, it just takes one messed up imam or whatever to convince the others to do things like this. We have go grip at all whats happening within these clubs ir whatever. And where to find them? 9/10 muslim societies are probably just fine. It's real hard to locate these ppl. I'm not an expert on this but I think thats how it goes.

About the refugees coming in with loads.. IDK. They say they ISIS sends terrorist with them but I think thats just to make us scared. Europe is just trying to help those countries. Just like the usa/canada helped use in the world wars.

And like fish said it's not muslims allone, over the ages religion had coused nothing but death and trouble. Because people always think what they think is best.
[DOUBLEPOST=1458725216][/DOUBLEPOST]
Why not let other Islamic controlled countries do something about it? Saudi Arabia? Nope. Pakistan? Nada. Turkey? Hell no. None of them are helping at all.
This is not true

jasmine

|K3|ONLY
Member of the Year
|K3| Member
Such things can happen with ANY religion. Let it be Islam, Judaism, or even Christianity. All 3 do not like each other, let us be honest here. We, as a whole, know certain groups of people are going to different countries, doing stunts like this and we all act like it wasn't going to happen. There is nothing wrong with closing borders. To ensure the safety of their people should be the first thought of the government. Why not let other Islamic controlled countries do something about it? Saudi Arabia? Nope. Pakistan? Nada. Turkey? Hell no. None of them are helping at all. It's a cluster fuck at what is happening in the M.E. and it seriously sucks. My parents told me of the stories of when they were growing up in Iran, when bombs were falling and they had to stay inside. Sounded pretty brutal, but we can't ruin the security of nations just to help someone out.

TL;DR

I agree with Blu, except that I believe all religions teach radicalism, not just Islam.
"My parents told me of the stories of when they were growing up in Iran,":boo in love:
my Dad too (growing up Iran) from Yazd :)

mousquet

Staff Sergeant
|K3| Member
These people were born and raised in Europe..
[DOUBLEPOST=1458723311][/DOUBLEPOST]Its just that these muslim societies are so closed off from the rest of the society, it just takes one messed up imam or whatever to convince the others to do things like this. We have go grip at all whats happening within these clubs ir whatever. And where to find them? 9/10 muslim societies are probably just fine. It's real hard to locate these ppl. I'm not an expert on this but I think thats how it goes.

About the refugees coming in with loads.. IDK. They say they ISIS sends terrorist with them but I think thats just to make us scared. Europe is just trying to help those countries. Just like the usa/canada helped use in the world wars.

And like fish said it's not muslims allone, over the ages religion had coused nothing but death and trouble. Because people always think what they think is best.
[DOUBLEPOST=1458725216][/DOUBLEPOST]
This is not true
I heard more 1/2 of imams in France are foreighners and they dont speak French language. Its a reason to think.
Imagine next situation.
Muslim who was born and grow up in EU became after such radical imam influence. Then he going Turkey as a tourist, crossing Syrian border (no visa needed, no stamps in his passport) voila, he in ISIS. After some monthes he got back France or Belgium or Germany.
For his country authorities he is EU citizen, who just was a tourist in Turkey.
EU authoroties cant control all EU citizens who were tourists in Turkey, many millions a year. Recent situation cant be solved without serious changes inside EU, othervise it will be as on picture:
4a16b280fa1a.jpg

As I imagine, muslims religion is separated to many kinds, they are different and sometimes have war against them. The same thing as in Christian religion. I generally agree, all monotheist religions are several aggressive to others, but most of them does not require to kill opponents, unlike radical types of Islam.

Arcani

Second Lieutenant
Former Krew Member
just nuke the Islamic State honestly they deserve it more than anyone else has or will(yes i know its a bad thing) they deserve far more than the japanese certainly did and those that are in isis are not innocent(i dont think unless i missed something) im sorry its one thing to have religious freedom its another that a religion seeks to kill all others not of their religion - i know not all are like that i wont hate on a muslim i run into(i know not all of them wish to kill us all) but those in ISIS are wanting to

Take

Flying Dutchman
|K3| Member
just nuke the Islamic State honestly they deserve it more than anyone else has or will(yes i know its a bad thing) they deserve far more than the japanese certainly did and those that are in isis are not innocent(i dont think unless i missed something) im sorry its one thing to have religious freedom its another that a religion seeks to kill all others not of their religion - i know not all are like that i wont hate on a muslim i run into(i know not all of them wish to kill us all) but those in ISIS are wanting to
You even know what the japanese did in the war?

But yea just nuke it you know. That'll be millions of innocent refugees we won't have to deal with!

Sgt.Fishy

Sergeant
|K3| Member
"My parents told me of the stories of when they were growing up in Iran,":boo in love:
my Dad too (growing up Iran) from Yazd :)

Ah, my dad never told me exactly where he grew up, both my parents say Tehran but Im not sure if they ever told me their specific village they were in (pretty sure only my mom grew up in Tehran while my dad was in a village)

Arcani

Second Lieutenant
Former Krew Member
You even know what the japanese did in the war?

But yea just nuke it you know. That'll be millions of innocent refugees we won't have to deal with!

To the first part we nuked places full of innocents thats what i mean by they didnt deserve it - and honestly if they get their hands on a nuke they wont give a fuck about innocents hell were there targets not the military - they probably wont get a nuke but doesnt mean theyll stop - im sorry but those of the Islamic State at this point really just deserve it - theyre taking women and making them their sex slaves theyre killing so many people theyre taking it too far - at this point what can we do instead of just letting them kill us all one by one? im not saying all islamic people deserve to get killed just the radical ones - the only problem i see though is that even if we fix the problem now some more people down the line might decide to do the exact same thing; islam is partly about killing us all and while most dont take it that far the few that do will keep doing it untill were all islamic or dead.

HIBred

Foolish Mortal
|K3| Executive
im not saying all islamic people deserve to get killed just the radical ones -

A recent Pew Research Study places the number of Muslims worldwide to be around 1.6 billion (or 23% of the world's population). So doing some basic math, we get that about.00006625% of the Muslim population are "extremist".
around 106,000 "extremist
so you want to nuke an area ..which area...ISIS is losing their controlled area daily thus the desperate attacks to keep the terror going,to elicit reactions like yours.. the brussls attack was made by belgian nationals,you want to nuke belgium?
I'm sorry but your view imo is ignorant. They are spread out in small pockets all over the world and no Islam is not about killing us all. More ppl were killed by white terrorists in america than any jihadists ....48 to 26 in America.
We are fighting them and winning at the cost of American and many nations lives. If you are really serious about your view of nuking anyone then you should join the army and go kill pll first hand before you say you want to see hundreds of thousands of innocents die just to nail a few. I believe the muslim community has a responsibilty to root out these radicals as well , stop the funding of ISIS..america itself armed them and created the power vacuum that created them in the first place. Make no mistake ..we are at fault for creating the animosity and environment needed for them to have come about.

Their ringleaders and funding need to be dealt with, not the millions of innocents they are surrounded by..

Nikon

カメラマン
|K3| Member
So doing some basic math, we get that about .00006625% of the Muslim population are "extremist". around 106,000 "extremist.

I'm curious as to where you pulled that unrealistically low number from. ISIS alone has anywhere from around 50,000 all the way up to 200,000 (a very generous claim) militants. While there is no real way to determine how many Muslims are radicals, if "just" one tenth of a percent of the worlds population of Muslims were potential terrorists, that still leaves you with a whopping 1,600,000 people.

More ppl were killed by white terrorists in america than any jihadists ....48 to 26 in America.

Are you talking about just this year or in general? And why does the color of a terrorists skin matter? Lets not forget that it only took 19 Islamic terrorists to kill 2,977 Americans in just a matter of hours.

The simple fact is that the vast majority of terrorist attacks are carried out by Islamic militants. Does this make every Muslim bad or a terrorist? Absolutely not. While most Muslims are not terrorists, most terrorists happen to be Muslim.

HIBred

Foolish Mortal
|K3| Executive
color doesn't matter to me at all ..just pointing out that a nuclear reaction to an entire religion is ridiculous..i believe the figure was this year alone..that in fact the threat from domestic terrorists is higher than jihadists a the moment regardless of color.
the article pulled the numbers from a pew research poll of all musilms on the planet..the number of isis combatants comes from cnn ..you are correct in the estimate by the US being around 106,000 affiliates of terrorist organizations ,with isis currently able to field around 31,000 fighters across Iraq and Syria in the current situation.

Last edited:

mousquet

Staff Sergeant
|K3| Member
Jordan King outspoken
3175005_orig.jpg

Jordan's King Abdullah II told the US congressmen that Ankara's bid to "radical Islamists" in solving the Middle East problems, writes The Guardian.
At the disposal of the newspaper was a transcript of the conversation of the British monarch with senior US lawmakers, including the chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee, John McCain. The meetings were held in the period from 11 to 17 January 2016, according to the publication.
According the words of the monarch, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, "believes that the region's problems can be solved by methods of radical Islam."
"The fact that sending terrorists to Europe, is a part of Turkish policy. Turkey continues to beat on the hands for it, but it comes out dry from the water, "- the document says.
The monarch also pointed that Jordan planned to involve its special forces in Libya - there is planned a joint operation with the forces of the British Special Air Service. Abdullah II said that his country's troops are ready to go to Somalia together with Britain and Kenya, to strike at the group "Al-Shabab", for which "no one is watching." Somali Islamists, according to King, associated with both the militants ISIS, and with the "Al-Qaeda".
One of the sources The Guardian in the US Senate confirmed the meeting with US lawmakers King of Jordan, but refused to talk about the content of the conversation. Jordanian Embassy in London and Washington refused to comment.

Top Bottom