Seagate 3 TB HD Issues anyone?

Lola

Caribbean Pirate
|K3| Member
So, as you guys know I finally built up a windows PC.

Now everything was perfect except yesterday. My internal 3 TB HD won't show up and if I turn on the computer with it connected/plugged in, my pc won't boot, the window's logo will remain there.

Now, If i disconnect it will boot normally. It's definitely an HD issue, since it won't even show up in my PC as a hard drive. I deleted all of it's info. (clean state through COMMAND PROMPT), but through Disk Managemente it didnt let me re-format it saying that I didn't have access (access denied), and it just disappeared and.. well, now it's just lots of shit to be honest. I'm clueless.

I come to you guys because I know you have lots of experience with Window's PCs. So, any recommendations, suggestions, ideas or any comments are welcome... I'm desperate! and again, this is why I dislike windows. My computer was built in December 2015, it's basically new.

PS: My other two solid states work fine.
One of them is my local disk.
Second is just a spare one for programs such as Photoshop etc.
and the Seagate 3 TB had all my games (Steam, Origin, etc.)

HELP ME?

Last edited:

NickHouston

WaLLy's Personal Favorite Krew Member
|K3| Member
|K3| Media Team
I had this problem once and it turned out my secondary(non-boot) hard drive was being pointed to as the default boot drive.

This cause an issue as the OS was not installed on the secondary hard drive and could not load into the OS.

To rule this out you could go into your bios and set your boot drive as the highest priority.

This may not be the issue, however, as you've said you see the Windows logo.

Kreubs

|K3|Minecraft Admin
|K3| Executive
I don't want to start off sounding harsh, but you shouldn't have deleted anything. When doing hard drive diagnostics, the last thing you want to do is go crazy with reads and writes, if the drive is truly defective, it could kill it permanently. Also hardware problems aren't Windows' fault. Hardware issues affect Mac/Windows equally. :p

Maybe the partition table corrupted? That could potentially cause the disk to disappear and cause things to go haywire when they try to detect it. But, it's also a software problem and usually fixable.

I suggest that you run Seagate's SeaTools diagnostic tool on the hard drive. Here are some pretty good directions on how to do it:
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/313457-seatools-dos-windows-how-use.html
If you still can't boot into Windows, go with option one, otherwise go with option two.

If Seatools clears without errors, it is a software issue and should be fixable. If it shows a few bad sectors, that's also fixable. If you've noticed, the 3TB drive doesn't give a full 3TB, partly that's because a chunk of the drive is used for recovering physically bad pieces of the disk.

If there are bad sectors and Windows won't boot, you should still be able to get into safe mode. Use chkdsk in command prompt to repair bad sectors.
Code:
chkdsk /x /r [drive letter]
So if your hard drive was E:, you would run
Code:
chkdsk /r /x E:

Hope this helps!

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive
I'm desperate! and again, this is why I dislike windows. My computer was built in December 2015, it's basically new.

No doubt an awesome new Mac would magically repair a defective or malfunctioning hard drive. Hell, it would probably reinvent it into something cutting edge and innovative. Would probably redefine the way we compute. ( sorry, i just couldn't resist it)

Last edited:
Top Bottom