people that claim to be a set trade and are rubbish

Pugsport

Second Lieutenant
|K3| Member
well two weeks ago i had someone come round to plaster my hallway walls and ceiling. he came out and gave me a quote of £250 for the walls and ceiling which i thought was a little much but i agreed to go with it as i did not have time to sit about calling around people and wanted it done asap.

the day he started i thought something was a miss when he was asking to use my tools and step ladders but i let it go and carried on with planning out my kitchen refurbishment, 2 days later he had finally got the ceiling finished off and then another 4 days later the walls were done (work split over two weeks. ceilings in week one and walls in week two) and he was then asking for payment but he now wanted a set of spare bathroom taps i had laying around which were worth £180 and £100 cash on top of that. i told him that i would look take a look as his work and get back to him over the weekend to sort out payment to which he agreed to do but looking over his work it was really really bad, there was marks from the trowel everywhere, pin holes every, lots of low spots and very uneven and then Saturday i when marking the walls where i would need to put filler to get it smooth and ready for paint i found that one wall had not stuck to the old plaster and you could pull fair size bits off it, i called him up to tell him of this and show him how much filler would be needed to remove the marks and get the walls good enough to paint and his reply was it was my fault the plaster did not stick to the old plaster as id not pva every bit of the wall and must have missed that part. now i put the first coat of the pva on the walls the night before he started and i did all the bonding of chasing in (filled the chase lines in the wall that were made from putting in another light switch) which i could have left him to do as thats what i was paying him for but i was feed up with the amount of time it was taking to get done and he should have the applied a second coat of pva to the walls before he plastered the walls, so im guessing he never did or he also missed bits but im guessing he never worried about putting a second coat on which is why it fell off.

now wants his money for the time he spend there and i was not going to give him a penny due to have to get my next door neighbor out to fix the wall that fell off along with one part of the ceiling and two other walls to which he charged £40 to do, used his own tools and took him 1 and a half hours to do after his working day but i ended up giving him the taps and £40 which was still £220 worth, which looking back i would now have told him where to go.

few pics of the work he done and how it is now after a few days of filling the walls he done and messing around. its still not a 100% finished off as im waiting for a delivery of two radiators and the flooring i want to come back in stock before i can put the skirting boards and architrave back on

some of the marks that needed filling in the ceiling

the wall that fell off, quite a bit came off as you can just about make out in the photo

the amount of plaster that fell off that wall

how ive managed to get it to this day

as i said still needs some work to get it finished off but waiting on bits to turn up and come back in to stock and also have the down stairs toilet and kitchen pulled out as well have them rooms to get on with as well while i wait

also for a bit of an idea on time scale for plastering it took next door 1 day with one man to do my whole kitchen, ceiling and walls and the ceiling in the down stairs toilet also

mmnz

Sergeant
|K3| Member
shouldve called mike holmes! he'd have fixed it right up
MIKE_HOLMES_PICTURE_400x400.jpg

mousquet

Staff Sergeant
|K3| Member
Hello, I know well that walls and ceilings to be dry before plastering and mortar to be cooked and used properly. Also after ending of plastering process mortar to be cured with dry and warm low-speed air circulation. If working or cured in wet atmosphere, your plaster will fall down as on your photos. I am not professional in finishing works, but I made refurbishment of my home myself so I have some expirience.

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive
Hello, I know well that walls and ceilings to be dry before plastering and mortar to be cooked and used properly. Also after ending of plastering process mortar to be cured with dry and warm low-speed air circulation. If working or cured in wet atmosphere, your plaster will fall down as on your photos. I am not professional in finishing works, but I made refurbishment of my home myself so I have some expirience.

All this knowledge and he still brings goblins to war.

Top Bottom