help needed pls

animal66

Second Lieutenant
Member of the Year
|K3|Super-Moderator
So I got a 960gb ssd (sandisk ultra 2) recently intending to use it as my main drive for os and games. I installed it this morning and installed a legit version of win 7 pro 64bit. The problem I have is that the computer shut down several times at varying frequencies after I installed it. I checked the fans in my machine to make sure I hadn't knocked any loose, all is good. Any ideas what it could be? I reinstalled my previous drive and all is working fine. I had a quick look at the ssd when connected via usb and all seems fine.

Any ideas peeps?

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
If everything checks out OK, it's probably a bad drive from the get-go. Try installing a fresh OS again and see if the issue remains. If it still does, I would go as far as installing a different OS just to make sure it's the drive and not the Win7 installer you're using.

Kreubs

|K3|Minecraft Admin
|K3| Executive
How about the AHCI driver? (Because it should be in AHCI for performance reasons)

Do you have an AMD board? I had some initial trouble with drivers when I first installed my ssd. I also have a sandisk.

Do not use the default MS AHCI driver, it sucks. My entire machine would stutter. I think I tried 2-3 drivers with the newest one working best. I have no idea why I didn't start with it.

animal66

Second Lieutenant
Member of the Year
|K3|Super-Moderator
How about the AHCI driver? (Because it should be in AHCI for performance reasons)

Do you have an AMD board?
Yes I do. It's a gigabyte ga-970a-ds3p. gonna try stuff tomorrow as it's very late here.

Kreubs

|K3|Minecraft Admin
|K3| Executive
Yes I do. It's a gigabyte ga-970a-ds3p. gonna try stuff tomorrow as it's very late here.
Be warned, though (I'm sure you know, but here's a time saver just in case XD), if the controller is set to IDE and you change to AHCI, Windows will perpetually BSOD.
You can:
  • Set the controller to AHCI, boot straight to safe mode, and then do a normal reboot back to Windows
  • Uninstall the storage controller driver, set the controller to AHCI, and boot back to Windows
  • Change the controller mode registry entry to AHCI then set the controller
Each of these will almost assuredly give you the MS :poop: driver.

Top Bottom