Gigs

animal66

Second Lieutenant
Member of the Year
|K3|Super-Moderator
So tonight i went to my first gig in about 11 years (British band called Status Quo if you're wondering, sort of a british version of ZZ Top). It got me wondering, what gigs has everybody been to and what was, in your opinion the best.

As it's 1.30 am here i'll do my list tomorrow. Don't be afraid to post.

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive
I haven't been to many, unfortunately. My first show was Megadeth/Suicidal Tendencies, but i was so stoned i don't remember any of it. I think i was in 8th grade at the time.

When i was in High school i had tickets with a buddy of mine to see a Mr.Bungle and Suicidal Tendencies (i think they were on the bill anyway) show on the campus of U.C. Davis. We ended up dropping acid and smoking a bunch of pot, only to find out the show was cancelled. So, we ended up wandering around campus for hours. Was pretty interesting, to say the least.

Since then I've seen Godsmack, Machine Head, The Sword, Lamb of God and Metallica (3x for Met.). All the other bands mentioned were opening acts for Metallica.

The best show was, by far, the Metallica show at Cox Arena in San Diego. The sound was amazing and very LOUD, which was awesome. The show was in 2008. I also saw Metallica in Sacramento @ Arco Arena in 2009, which was ok. Arco is notorious for having terrible sound, which it was.

The other Metallica show was in 2004 @ the San Diego Sports Arena w/Godsmack. Godsmack was really good, as was Metallica. The Sound was pretty good there, but nothing like Cox arena.

Other shows I've seen are just crappy local bands i used to go see when i was in High School. These took place in small little room (50 or so people) with walls lined with instruments. Got moshed into those more than once.

HIBred

Foolish Mortal
|K3| Executive
Recently I got to see some good friends reunite after 15 years to play together.. Jake Shimabukuro and my homie Lopaka Colon..Jake is the without a doubt the best ukulele player in the world,Lopaka is an amazing percussionist. It was really cool cuz i got to go with my parents,something I've never done before and was sitting next to Jakes family as well ,it was really nice..Also a good friend of mine came back from Cali to play a reunion gig,really small,in a tniy bar. Generic, a punk rock band. Oh and I saw an Old geezer band ,Peter Hook from Joy Division, it was a great 80's flashback gig..

animal66

Second Lieutenant
Member of the Year
|K3|Super-Moderator
right, a list of bands i've seen:

The scorpions. Excellent German rock band, my very first Gig, just left school. Excellent introduction to gigs. Recorded for the "World wide live" album

Saxon. British "New wave of British heavy metal" band. Again brilliant gig, much fun to be had.

Iron Maiden. This was, and still is, One of my all time fave bands, This was for the Powerslave tour.

Iron Maiden again. Part of the Live after death album was recorded here.

Whitesnake. Great band, Almost got high from the amount of pot fumes in the auditorium

Dio. The best voice in heavy metal, German band warlock supporting. Good solid gig

Status Quo. The same band i saw last night on what was at the time supposed to be their farewell tour, They've clocked up 30 more years since then.

Europe. Euro pop rock band, only really went because my girlfriend at the time wanted to see them.

Girlschool. Female fronted Hard rocking band in a small venue (Met Lemmy here, and yes he is awesome)

Meatloaf. Not his best gig, part of the bad attitude tour.

Pink floyd. Wembley stadium, don't remember too much from this gig apart from the wall coming down

Pink floyd again, part of the same tour but different arena (docklands arena, now defunct thanks to the O2 arena)

Bon Jovi wembley arena. Again only went because of a girl, Didn't really enjoy it cos i was in a bad mood that night.

Bruce Springsteen Crystal Palace sports ground. Got tickets for this at a knock down price because my ex's sister had a spare and my ex remembered that i like the boss. 3 - 4 hours of pure heartland rock, would recommend to anybody

Status Quo O2 arena last night. Despite the band being officially seniors, they still put on a great show and got just about everybody dancing, no wonder my feet hurt today.

I've also seen some smaller bands like Ozric tentacles, Dumpy's rusty nuts and a few others, but most of them i was either too drunk or too blase to bother about.

Top Bottom