Getting Ubuntu server to start on a built PC

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
I've been wanting to test Ubuntu server on my built PC. Just to see how B-Team and MC run together on it.

Tried making a bootable USB numerous times and kept on failing. Turns out, the original 2GB no-name-brand USB I was using was being :ghey:. 2nd USB stick I used worked like a charm.

Went through the installer, got to the end and asked me to install the bootloader which I hit OK. I did so because I use it's the only OS on the drive so figured it shouldn't have any problems booting up after I select it.

Without unplugging or disabling any of the drives...

After install, I reboot the PC, select the Ubuntu drive to boot up and I get the flashing line/underscore.

Rebooted the PC again, same thing.

My current setup is, 64GB Yosemite as the main SSD and another drive for Windows 7. When booting up, using the Chimera bootloader, I'm able to select which OS I want to use. It works just fine. Prior to installing Ubuntu on 1 drive, the bootloader would list it on there. After installing Ubuntu, it's gone.

I've only experienced installing Ubuntu on the Mac mini without much fuss. So this has me stumped a bit.

Am I supposed to unplug all the drives (I haven't tested this idea yet. I didn't have the time) before booting Ubuntu? Maybe a failed install? Got any tips you may think I should try while the next time I get a chance to mess with it?

Kreubs

|K3|Minecraft Admin
|K3| Executive
The bootloader goes on your main hdd by default and not the current drive. I think that's due to the ordering in /dev/sda which may come from the order of the drives based on sata port. My guess is that the ssd is on port 1 so the installer defaulted to /dev/sda1.

The Ubuntu installer gives you the option of installing the bootloader on a different drive entirely, you just have to make sure you pick the right one from /dev/sda.

If you pick Ubuntu from the OS X bootloader, you could run lsblk interminal to see which drive is which. Then run
Code:
sudo grub-install /dev/sdX
where X is the number of the Ubuntu drive.

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
IIRC, the ssd is set to port #3 due to faster speeds on ports 3 and 4. But I don't remember what ports I used for the other 2 drives. :thinking:

Ubuntu drive doesn't show up on the Chimera bootloader which made me o_O Kinda weird that Windows shows up without doing anything on my part.

Before unplugging drives, I'll change the boot order and set Ubuntu to come up first and see if that does anything.

Kreubs

|K3|Minecraft Admin
|K3| Executive
Oh I got the impression that it did show up, my bad.
So you can't access Ubuntu at all? In that case, try downloading and using EasyBCD from windows. It should be able to add an Ubuntu entry to the windows boot loader. I've used it to dual-boot from the same disk, but it should work if Ubuntu is on another drive.

Once that is done, you can follow the above steps and then use EasyBCD again to remove Ubuntu from the windows boot loader.

Last edited:

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
So I tried setting Ubuntu as the first HDD to boot, no dice.

Decided to do a new install and when it asked to install the boot loader I remembered Ubuntu was installed on /dev/sdb. So instead of just hitting enter to install it on the Windows MBR, I entered the Ubuntu drive. And voila.

Only thing is I need to hit F12 when I boot up my PC so I can select the Ubuntu drive. The OS X boot loader (Chimera) doesn't see the Ubuntu drive. :thinking: Not even sure how that would work anyway. Cuz it would go from Chimera boot loader, select Ubuntu and it would load the Ubuntu boot loader? I don't think that would work.

Either way, I will probably get a chance to move B-Team onto my PC on Monday/Tuesday. :w00t:

Kreubs

|K3|Minecraft Admin
|K3| Executive
So I tried setting Ubuntu as the first HDD to boot, no dice.

Decided to do a new install and when it asked to install the boot loader I remembered Ubuntu was installed on /dev/sdb. So instead of just hitting enter to install it on the Windows MBR, I entered the Ubuntu drive. And voila.

Only thing is I need to hit F12 when I boot up my PC so I can select the Ubuntu drive. The OS X boot loader (Chimera) doesn't see the Ubuntu drive. :thinking: Not even sure how that would work anyway. Cuz it would go from Chimera boot loader, select Ubuntu and it would load the Ubuntu boot loader? I don't think that would work.

Either way, I will probably get a chance to move B-Team onto my PC on Monday/Tuesday. :w00t:
That's weird, because it should work. Chimera should see the drive if it has GRUB. I do believe there is a setting for GRUB that lets you choose a default OS, that way you don't have to see the link between Chimera and GRUB.

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
You're right, just found out it should work. I installed GRUB onto the whole drive instead of a partition. I still think it would be a bit annoying going from 1 bootloader to another. However, I did find a blog that talks about setting up something similar to what I'm looking for http://racerrehabman.wordpress.com/...indows-8-mac-os-x-lion-and-ubuntu-multi-boot/ Section I, specifically. I'll give that a try once I get a chance.

Do you know if I need to uninstall GRUB on the HDD and just install GRUB on that Linux partition from the get-go?

Kreubs

|K3|Minecraft Admin
|K3| Executive
Yeah, GRUB needs to be installed on the same drive/partition as Linux. Section I of the post you linked to talks about setting timeouts for GRUB to 0 so you don't have an extra stop after Chimera.

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
Went into OS X once, I then rebooted, got into GRUB, selected Ubuntu and this started happening https://www.dropbox.com/s/umcl77b4fk9vzlu/Photo Oct 26, 10 04 25 PM.jpg?dl=0 Then tried getting into OS X, and it wouldn't let me. Googled the error and it mentioned to unplug my DVD drive and that let me in OS X lol. Still getting the same error though. Weird.

I may just unplug all drives and do another fresh install. However, the 640GB drive I'm trying to install it is from a recycled PC so I'm not sure if it's any good at this point. For the last 6 months I've only used it as a storage drive.

Any idea what that error code may be? Ubuntu booted up just fine last night. I even did updates/upgrades/dist-upgrades.

Top Bottom