External harddrive problem

Sargass

|KKK| Sargasaurus
|K3|Super-Moderator
Im perplex...very...

i've lost almost all my folder stocked on my harddrive...they simply desapeared, but the data are still there. when i right clic on the harddrive icon to show properties it say 492 GO/931.

When i open it... it only show a few folders, cumulate for a total of about 30-40Go...So i dont really understand how it's possible. the data are still there but windows seems to not recognize it. I've performed a general system restore but it change nothing.
Im actually try to perform the system restore for the harddrive but i doubt that it can change something.

So someone has a solution? or another (free?) program that look like an explorer to see what is really on my disk (like norton commander few years ago) i know that exist, a friend of mine has something like that but dont know the name and now its 2am and im not gonna wake him up on phone for that.
Im really upset about that, i've "lost" all my games install/tv show/movies...and most important of all, pictures and artworks i did for several years.

The only envy i have for now is to put a hammer in the disk just to see how it react but i know that will not be a good thing.

So help please!!!!

AVC

Banned
A system restore on the disc? I dont understand. I also dont understand the error 492 GO. Huh? A screen shot may help
Try doing a disk check using your OS utilities, defrag etc.
Is the data backed up?

PwnSauce

Banned
You have a few options.

1. Try the native windows scan disk utility. R-click the drive, select tools or properties then tools.
- Use the thorough scan.

2. Go here and download a Linux bootable ISO, burn it to disk, boot to it and copy the files to a safe place.
- http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download
- Don't worry, you don't install it. It runs OFF the Cd as if it were installed and doesn't alter the disk drives.
- If you don't have another external drive, you can copy them to the system drive or FTP them somewhere you have storage space. (I have some if u need it)

3. Go here, download Hiren's Boot CD. It's a mix of tools for hardware like disk tools, diagnostics and recovery stuff like WIndows password reset tools.
- http://www.hirensbootcd.net/download.html?ver=10.5
- Be really careful with the tools on this disk. They can really mangle disk drives OR they can repair. Just read the docs about the tools before you execute changes.

That's about all I can think of.

Also, check your event lots for drive issues.
Start, run, type eventvwr and hit enter.
Browse to system logs, should show red stop sign error messages about your disk.

Good luck
Greg

Sargass

|KKK| Sargasaurus
|K3|Super-Moderator
Problem solved after two restart of the computer finally...un understandable...

Anyway i got a backup of my works now, movies and games are not important.
Thanks for the help guys.

Top Bottom