Any musicians about?

animal66

Second Lieutenant
Member of the Year
|K3|Super-Moderator
Right, as it was my birthday recently, the wife decided to get me an electric guitar as a present (I've always wanted to learn how to play one). Trouble is i have totally no knowledge of them or even how to play the chords.

If anyone could point me towards online help for total beginners (absolute, complete noob sort of stuff) Then it would be most appreciated.

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive
I would recommend taking it in and getting it professionally setup so it not only sounds good, but is comfortable to play. You can talk to the tech and find out what gauge string would work best for you. I would assume 9s or 10s. You probably don't want to use the factory strings.

There is such a wealth of information online that it would be hard to steer you to one place. You can find printable chord charts all over the net. For now i would stick with the basic chords. (A-F) Since you like Rock music, you can also learn power chords, which are very simple.

I would suggest learning how to string and tune your guitar, and also how to read tablature/chord charts. If you take it in to get a setup, a tech can give you pointers on tuning/stringing, etc. There are also many tutorials (with pictures/videos) online showing how to string and tune. You can also get an electric tuner, which i would recommend. They aren't very expensive.

You probably also need a small practice amp, which a shop can help you find, along with the right kind of pick.

Focus on things like how to practice efficiently and productively, how to create a lesson plan for practicing, proper posture, holding the pick so it's comfortable, using a metronome and things like that.

You can Google many resources on how to start practicing properly, which is very important. If you start teaching your muscles improperly, they will get into some very bad habits.

Here are a couple of sites that give a good overview of some basics in a couple of sections. There are a million more like it, so take to Google and you will be overwhelmed with info. The second site has a printable chord chart along with a lot of other info.

http://guitarteacher.wordpress.com/

http://www.guitar-skill-builder.com/free-printable-guitar-chord-chart.html

This site may have some decent articles as well. I didn't really read them, but it's worth checking out. Just found it on a quick Google search. Again, there are tons of them out there, so just Google away.

http://practiceguitarnow.com/guitarpracticetips.html

Last edited:

animal66

Second Lieutenant
Member of the Year
|K3|Super-Moderator
The wife must have read up on guitars, she got me a tuner, practice amp and a selection of picks to go along with the guitar (also a bag and strap), and a copy of rocksmith 2014. Just gotta find time to get to grips with it all. Thankfully, it's a fairly basic kit, so even if i lose interest after 6 months, it's not a major issue.

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive
Ah, sounds like a good deal. If you lived closer i would send you one of my old distortion pedals. It just sits in the closet.

Make sure you try out different pick gauges. You don't want to be learning power chords with a flimsy pick!

And look seriously into a setup. Nothing can ruin trying to learn the guitar like crappy action.

Last edited:

TheDude

Dudesicle
|K3| Member
I started teaching beginners lessons and can try and find some basic source material for improvisation.

I agree with what Damage has thrown out there. All good material. The only thing I think I can add is from a learning progression standpoint.

What your wife wants to learn is the most important thing to consider in deciding how to progress. WHat she wants to learn will most likely change over time as she grows as a musician. What your goals are as a musician have a huge effect on how you should learn. It has to do with correctly feeding that desire a person has for music. So for now, it's good just to find a starting point. <---- I think where Damage said to start is a great place. Learn the instrument mechanically. Learn to take care of it. Learn how it feels and sounds. Learn some tunes you like. Great info there.

Start by asking her what kind of music she really likes? What drew her to guitar? What guitar players does she associate with (like, respect, has interest in)? You want to find out where she envisions herself playing?. Then work towards that.

For instance, I could have students who are interested in playing in a band. There would be more focus on accompaniment here. Whether it's starting with playing simple chords WITH a band IN TIME, or it's learning how to follow an improvised solo with harmonic substitutions in real time.

If it's playing songs for people and by herself mostly, there would be more focus on solo songs. More work on single songs the person wants to learn would happen. Ask what song they want to learn and help them learn it. Teach them how to approach a new song like that to help them learn to teach THEMSELVES new songs.

It's always good to have a real teacher starting out. When looking for a teacher, ask them about these things, what their background is, and what kind of approach they would take to teaching your wife would be. Also, being comfortable with a new teacher is super important! Your wife is gonna want someone she doesn't feel embarassed with. PLAYING MUSIC CAN BE EMBARRASSING!

So to sum up:
Find out what your wife wants to do with the instrument.
Find a teacher that meets those needs. At least while she is starting out. Make sure she feels comfy with the person

HIBred

Foolish Mortal
|K3| Executive
Glam+Rock.jpg
you also need this

TheDude

Dudesicle
|K3| Member
Also,

Don't go lower than 9 gauge strings. Lower than that is just too flimsy. They don't tune well and break easily. They get over-corroded quickly, which causes them to sound bad and out of tune no matter how well you tune the guitar. Long story short, it messes with the overtones and screws up their resonance and affects the intonation across the neck.[DOUBLEPOST=1413502998][/DOUBLEPOST]I misread and read that you got the wife a guitar. Sorry.

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive
I've used 8s without issue in the past, but a lot of people complain that they do break.

Also, i think it's Animal who's learning, not his wife.

Wolfy

Private First Class
i have some input on this subject as i also play guitar. 8 guage strings are easy on the fingers but they are fragile i recommend 10 guage strings they are a very neutral guage not to heavy and not very bright also as far as online guitar help if you can just learn 2-3 of the 7 chords to start and get those fluid then incorporate the others http://www.chordie.com/chords.php you can print these,stick with the basics first then later move to the add9,sus,minor,etc[DOUBLEPOST=1413758092][/DOUBLEPOST]also dude mentioned intonation,that is a term that most seasoned musicians would understand. a guitar is measured a certain length from the nut which is the part on the neck that all the strings come to before they make the length to the bridge and in between that point to the bridge the strings hold an amount of tension which can be adjusted by adjusting the truss rod or adjusting the string saddle on the bridge it needs the correct tension from point to point to actually be in tune harmonically.that is intonation.

TheDude

Dudesicle
|K3| Member
Good stuff wolfy. Just one addition.

Intonation is adjusted by changing the length of the string from nut to bridge. The 12th fret should be the exact center point of the string (which is why it raises the string an octave).

It would be best to just go over intonation with a teacher. It can be a little tricky to adjust depending on what kind of guitar you have and how it is set up.

When changing the ACTION, which means how large the distance is between the strings and the fretboard, you adjust the truss rod. But no need to worry about that now animal.

Just ask your teacher. I always find it best to get through these things with a pro... at least the first time.

If all this is too much and scaring you, let me emphasize that you very likely will not have to adjust the action OR the intonation at all.

Just so you know, though, the times when you will have to adjust your intonation will most likely be:
1. After you change string guage (usually by more than 1)
2. If you change the action
3. If you use certain alternate tunings
^So you should be fine. I doubt you will be doing any of these things right away.

If you stick to 9-10 gauge strings you should be fine. [DOUBLEPOST=1413858522][/DOUBLEPOST]If you want, I can do a lesson or two with you over skype if we work out a reasonable time. Just let me know.[DOUBLEPOST=1413858884][/DOUBLEPOST]]Also if you like physical books, I can recommend a couple that are just great for anyone beginner to advanced.

Last edited:

Pingus

Private First Class
Former Krew Member
Lots of techy advice here. Musically, I would recommend...

1. Learn barre chords. There are only four - E and A major/minor shapes. Plus two more if you include the blues versions of the major chords. By playing these at different positions on the neck you can then play any chord and therefore any song.

2. Study song harmony. Mini-tutorial below:

Western harmony is based on the major scale. Each note of the scale is the root (bass) note of a chord in that key.

Chord numbers are notated in roman numerals - I II III IV V VI VII. But the chords on notes 2, 3 and 6 are minor. So the scale becomes I IIm IIIm IV V VIm VII.

The seven notes of C major scale (for example) are C D E F G A B. So in C major: C is I, Dm is IIm, Em is IIIm, F is IV, G is V, Am is VIm, B is VII.

Twelve-bar blues is always four bars of I, two bars of IV, two bars of I and one bar of V, IV, I and V. So in C the blues is CCCCFFCCGFCG, in D it's DDDDGGDDAGDA etc.

Historically, Bach figured it all out and then Mozart and Beethoven et al did miraculous things with it but most modern songs are actually very simple: Rock and roll was blues so only used I IV V. Soul music added VIm and IIm and III (three major is actually much more common than three minor). So your basic chords are I IIm III IV V VIm - I would wager that most of the songs you love will only use a few of these chords.

A minority will use II (two major) IIIm (three minor) IVm (four minor ) VI (six major) and bVII (flattened seven - the major chord a semitone/halfstep below VII - so Bb in C major). Some even change key so where G was V in C major it is now IV in D major.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Top Bottom