New Router

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive
My Linksys router can't seem to hold a connection all of a sudden, so i think it's time to buy a new one. I've tried everything i know to correct the problem, but the connection drops within a few minutes time.

Looking around, it seems every router out there has issues, so I'm looking for some guidance. I really don't want to spend more than $75 or so. I don't really know about Wireless N or G or any of that, so if you ask which i prefer or need, i can't tell you.

My current Router is the WRT54G. I've had a lot of on and off issues with this one over the years, so i don't want to get it again.
I use the wireless for one laptop and one tablet. I don't need a ton of features etc. just something that's reliable and gives decent speed.

Last edited:

Storky

Rawr
|K3| Moderator
Recruitment Team
Anything by Cisco or Netgear are the most reliable brands I've found. As for the models, you'd have to research.

Kreubs

|K3|Minecraft Admin
|K3| Executive
Has someone near you created a new network on the same channel as you? That happened to me once, and my wifi was screwed up for a while before I finally figured it out.

stevo

eh
Former Krew Member
Wow that's an old one lol I agree with Storky Netgear or Cisco make great ones. I bought a Netgear WNDR3700 last year and it blows away my last one in every department. Wireless N is all you should need.

Kreubs

|K3|Minecraft Admin
|K3| Executive
I have a Cisco as my secondary router. Other than it getting a bit warm at times I have no major complaints.

BluBirD78

Master of BluballZ
|K3| Member
That's actually the same one that I have, same model and everything and it works great. I did put a different firmware on it called Tomato, you might check that out before you shop for a new one. Worst case senerio your router wont work anymore, which sounds like the problem you got already lol, Tomato has worked great for me for a few years now ;)

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
I have the same model as well. It starts to act up every so often, mostly the WiFi though and I end up having to unplug it for a minute to fix it.

One thing we need to know is, do you have Cable Internet or DSL? If you have cable, you may want to look into a modem/combo router to remove a device and just have an all-in-one.

I bought a Motorola one (don't remember the model) for my AZ home and the WiFi range is amazing! It's similar to this one http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-SURF...8&qid=1412646151&sr=1-3&keywords=modem+router

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive
That's actually the same one that I have, same model and everything and it works great. I did put a different firmware on it called Tomato, you might check that out before you shop for a new one. Worst case senerio your router wont work anymore, which sounds like the problem you got already lol, Tomato has worked great for me for a few years now ;)

Thanks, i will look into that. I don't think it's the router itself, but rather the way it's communicating with the New Comcast modem. I wasn't aware firmware existed for this model, so i will definitely try it.

EDIT. My router is V6. According to the Tomato homepage, the firmware doesn't support this model. Mine isn't the GL, but the G. My mistake.

I have the same model as well. It starts to act up every so often, mostly the WiFi though and I end up having to unplug it for a minute to fix it.

One thing we need to know is, do you have Cable Internet or DSL? If you have cable, you may want to look into a modem/combo router to remove a device and just have an all-in-one.

I bought a Motorola one (don't remember the model) for my AZ home and the WiFi range is amazing! It's similar to this one http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-SURFboard-SBG6580-Packaging-570763-006-00/dp/B0040IUI46/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1412646151&sr=1-3&keywords=modem router

I have a cable connection. The Modem is supplied by Comcast and also takes my phone line. Last time i tried to access the net with a modem not supplied by Comcast, they blocked the connection. I'm sure they would unblock it, but I have to pay for the modem anyways for phone, so i don't want to complicate things.

EDIT - http://www.bestbuy.com/site/netgear...9085626984&skuId=3003155&st=routers&cp=1&lp=8

This one looks pretty good. It's got the best reviews across BB, Amazon, NewEgg etc.

Last edited:

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive
Lst night i tried a couple more fixes which seem to be holding so far. Hopefully the connection will stay stable.

Kreubs

|K3|Minecraft Admin
|K3| Executive
Was it your wifi that has issues or your internet? One time I got an IP that had previously belonged to a spammer so half the internet was broken for me. I had to use clone to set my router's MAC to my PC's MAC in order to force an IP change, and it worked.

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive
The router was having issues. It was dropping my connection every 20 or 30 mins. When the connection drops, the wi-fi stops working. I had to power cycle the router to get it working for another few minutes.

When i hard wired into my modem i had no issues, so the internet connection itself was fine.

I've always had intermittent drops since Comcast installed their new modem, so my guess is that the router has issues communicating with the modem, but that's just a guess. Usually i just disabled/re-enabled my network adapter and it would fix the issue for a few weeks/months. This time around, that fix did not work.

BluBirD78

Master of BluballZ
|K3| Member
Ahh got it, well if it's working fine now I would stick with what you have done. I have cloned my MAC address before but it wasn't for that reason, can't remember now what it was for but it also worked, hope it stays with ya ;)

Pugsport

Second Lieutenant
|K3| Member
ive only ever used a few brands of router and im using one of each brand at the moment

D-Link
Linksys
and have heard good things about Asus stuff also but not tried them

i did have a netgear router for awhile and i would have given that an award for the worst excuse of a router ever made, it would get pretty hot in a short space of time and cut out and all in all spend more time off line than online

stevo

eh
Former Krew Member
ive only ever used a few brands of router and im using one of each brand at the moment

D-Link
Linksys
and have heard good things about Asus stuff also but not tried them

i did have a netgear router for awhile and i would have given that an award for the worst excuse of a router ever made, it would get pretty hot in a short space of time and cut out and all in all spend more time off line than online
What model was your Netgear router? I've had mine for a few years now never once had an issue. Upgraded from a DLink router witch I had many issues with. Another thing to note is the new bread of routers are a lot more reliable then old G routers witch is what my DLink was(And it was crap).

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
For those of you who have T-Mobile and need a new router, T-Mobile is offering this bad boy for free (well, $25 refundable deposit) http://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-15754

I just placed an order for one and I should be getting it next week or so.
Ended up getting the new router sometime last week and it works great! Transferring files to the home server and back are a breeze! 1Gbps :eek: Before I was on a measly 100Mbps XD WiFi has improved just a tiny bit.

And apparently T-Mobile was running a promo and the 25 bucks were waived. :w00t:

BluBirD78

Master of BluballZ
|K3| Member
Ended up getting the new router sometime last week and it works great! Transferring files to the home server and back are a breeze! 1Gbps :eek: Before I was on a measly 100Mbps XD WiFi has improved just a tiny bit.

And apparently T-Mobile was running a promo and the 25 bucks were waived. :w00t:

What did you end up getting?

Top Bottom