Windows 7 end of support

Pugsport

Second Lieutenant
|K3| Member
well i'm not sure how many or you know or have heard but Microsoft are stopping automatic fixes, updates, or online technical assistance.

micro will stop updating and fixing windows 7 on 13th of January 2015, It's gonna be a sad time to see what was a pretty go OS go and that also could mean another sad/bad moment of having to move to windows 8/8.1 which is not a good OS at all with its tablet like feel, no task bar etc unless microsoft plan on replacing it with a gamer friendly OS which if they do hopefully it will be before 2015 or at first quarter of it

to be safe im going to be looking to get my hands on a 2nd ssd drive and dual boot to try and get used to windows 8 in case i need it.

no product updates mean no security updates also and this is a bad thing and means its time to move on to an OS that has.

if you have a business version of windows 7 you will get the extend support until 14th of Jan 2020. im not sure where you stand if you have windows 7 ultimate tho, im guessing support for ultimate also ends 2015 as its not business classed

windows 8 is only supported until 9th of January 2018 so not much longer than windows 7.

Joonikko

Shades, eternal shades.
|K3| Member
|K3| Media Team
They'll continue to support security updates till January 14, 2020, but they'll stop adding new features etc. to Windows 7 in 2015.

Mainstream, free support is ending on January 13, 2015 for a number of major Microsoft products, including all versions of Windows 7(Enterprise, Home Basic, Home Premium, Ultimate and Starter). Extended support for Windows 7 lasts until January 14, 2020, so users can expect to continue to receive free security updates, but not feature updates, for Windows 7 until that point. For those running Windows 7 with Service Pack 1 applied, the end of mainstream and extended support dates are the same -- January 13, 2015 and January 14, 2020, respectively -- given there is no Windows 7 SP2.

Microsoft has promised to provide security patches even after it ends mainstream support, through 2020. What is ending is design changes, warranty claims and no-charge incident support.

Last edited:

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive
Only six more years of updates! :tf:

Sounds about right though. That's probably the time i'll be getting around to a new build, cheap bastard that i am.

BluBirD78

Master of BluballZ
|K3| Member
I've planned on trying out Linux again, getting tired of this MS stuff they keep doing. I wish it was easy to use the programs I use on Linux as it is with MS but it's something that one has to get use to, as for me I'm going to at least check it out. There are a few Linux distros out there now that are basically set up like Windows, so it's more user friendly. Thanks for the post Pugger! ;)

advnt

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Former Krew Member
I fucking hate Win8.
MICROSOFT WHY YOU DO DIS.
hades.gif

Kreubs

|K3|Minecraft Admin
|K3| Executive
I've planned on trying out Linux again, getting tired of this MS stuff they keep doing. I wish it was easy to use the programs I use on Linux as it is with MS but it's something that one has to get use to, as for me I'm going to at least check it out. There are a few Linux distros out there now that are basically set up like Windows, so it's more user friendly. Thanks for the post Pugger! ;)
The software centers included in many Linux distros make installing programs pretty simple. But yeah, when the program isn't there... terminal!

With Valve's DirectX to OpenGL binary translator coming out (which is said to be pretty fast), gaming on linux will become an option which would probably get NVIDIA to step it up and release proper drivers.

Top Bottom